Author Topic: Why RTB going be Shutdown?  (Read 72429 times)

We did have a large boost in players when first on steam though
If by a large boost in players you mean a large boost in statistics, sure. Although I haven't seen or heard of a single steam player that has played for more than a few days (of course there probably is). Badspot is rolling in money, but the actual community hasn't really grown that much.

wtf is this blockland cloud

wtf is this blockland cloud
Pretty sure it was like a RTB system but made by Kalphiter

Now that I have looked at the big picture,

steam did us no good
T&I removal was bad
RTB removal is bad
shaders only work for about 40% of players, bad

I feel as if baddy is getting bored with blockland and doesnt put as much effort into it like he should. It sucks to say it but I feel that blockland will die off before the year 2024.
I also hate to say it but it might be best for the games survival if it was sold to a great company or baddy hired some more developers
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:58:38 PM by GhostStar »

but I feel that blockland will die off before the year 2024.
A game lasting 20 years is quite an accomplishment. A game lasting 10 years is even good.

A game lasting 20 years is quite an accomplishment. A game lasting 10 years is even good.
well ya but BL is that kind of game that can last for a very long time without getting old. Just as long as there's on update ever so often
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:15:13 PM by GhostStar »

Now that I have looked at the big picture,

steam did us no good
T&I removal was bad
RTB removal is bad
shaders only work for about 40% of players, bad

I feel as if baddy is getting bored with blockland and doesnt put as much effort into it like he should. It sucks to say it but I feel that blockland will die off before the year 2024.
Steam did no good because none of the steam users wanted to stay. It has nothing to do with the way Blockland was integrated with steam though. Because look at Starbound. It has even less steam integration than Blockland and it was hyped as forget.
I believe the removal of T&I was good, but not because of shadows. The shadows are stuff. But that doesn't mean T&I weren't holding back development. Not that it matters by this point, we haven't seen much. As much as I disliked T&I, they should have stayed if he wasn't going to do anything, or even let us know what he's doing like almost any developer does.
All the RTB removal effectively does is takes away some server info, friends list/chat, and most importantly, a highly moderated and categorized add-on section. We can still keep the rest of RTB.
Can't say that shaders only working for certain people is bad. There's probably hundreds of games where 60% of the players turn off the shadows. Not because of incompatibility, but that even when the game's shadows work with their stuffty video card, it lags like forget. The 60% of Blockland players that cannot use shadows shouldn't use shadows. Because even if they could, they would see major performance issues. And you can't blame Blockland or Badspot, or even kompressor for this. It's two people making shadows for up to 280k objects and make it run good. Modern games generally have shadows for maybe 100 objects at most, considering the maps' shadows are baked in.

But yes he should put more work into the game.

Steam did no good because none of the steam users wanted to stay. It has nothing to do with the way Blockland was integrated with steam though. Because look at Starbound. It has even less steam integration than Blockland and it was hyped as forget.
I believe the removal of T&I was good, but not because of shadows. The shadows are stuff. But that doesn't mean T&I weren't holding back development. Not that it matters by this point, we haven't seen much. As much as I disliked T&I, they should have stayed if he wasn't going to do anything, or even let us know what he's doing like almost any developer does.
All the RTB removal effectively does is takes away some server info, friends list/chat, and most importantly, a highly moderated and categorized add-on section. We can still keep the rest of RTB.
Can't say that shaders only working for certain people is bad. There's probably hundreds of games where 60% of the players turn off the shadows. Not because of incompatibility, but that even when the game's shadows work with their stuffty video card, it lags like forget. The 60% of Blockland players that cannot use shadows shouldn't use shadows. Because even if they could, they would see major performance issues. And you can't blame Blockland or Badspot, or even kompressor for this. It's two people making shadows for up to 280k objects and make it run good. Modern games generally have shadows for maybe 100 objects at most, considering the maps' shadows are baked in.

But yes he should put more work into the game.
good point

It'd be nice if we could here an update or something about the future of blockland from Badspot

It'd be nice if we could here an update or something about the future of blockland from Badspot
ya he really needs to be more involved with the community

I feel like this quote is needed and applies to the situation at hand
Stage 1: (Denial) This can't be happening! It's just a joke, RTB isn't gone
Stage 2: (Bargaining) Ephi, give RTB to someone else, we'll even PAY you to keep it up
Stage 3: (Anger) WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO US EPHI, WE NEEDED RTB WE HATE YOU NOW!
Stage 4: (Acceptance) Even though RTB may be gone, we will find a way to go on without RTB, and maybe someone will even come up with a RTB replacement!

I feel like this quote is needed and applies to the situation at hand
lol, its funny to see how fast and slow some of the forumers go through these stages.
right now I think im inbetween stage 3 and 4

However in my opinion the Steam launch was underwhelming, badly co-ordinated and still has a number of non-trivial problems that haven't been resolved a month and a half or so later. Honestly I expected game development to be taken a bit more seriously given the potential for a much wider audience but it's just not materialised and I got bored of putting more effort into the game than the guys who make it. I offered to develop community features and services for free as an official part of Blockland but there wasn't much interest or follow-up on that.
AHAHAHA probably the most significant and contributive member finally calls badspot out on this stuff. there's so much broken content in this game and badspot refuses to even acknowledge it. there's so many simple things he could do to fix up the game but he chooses to remain silent, leaving us unaware if he's even working on things. i can list so many simple additions that would benefit the game.

i hate the silent dev-team so much. almost every other indie game i've played has the developer(s) talking about upcoming features, asking the community about bugs and problems, discussing future plans for the game. here we get almost nothing. we got the announcement of shaders, mainly to calm the eternal stuffstorm that would've occurred if they were released without notice.

maps were bad because they held back development. too bad we never got any development. it's been over a god-damn year and there's been nothing released that would require the removal of maps. could you at least raise the packet/bit size limit, or like, add a water physics-vehicle class or something?

AHAHAHA probably the most significant and contributive member finally calls badspot out on this stuff. there's so much broken content in this game and badspot refuses to even acknowledge it. there's so many simple things he could do to fix up the game but he chooses to remain silent, leaving us unaware if he's even working on things. i can list so many simple additions that would benefit the game.

i hate the silent dev-team so much. almost every other indie game i've played has the developer(s) talking about upcoming features, asking the community about bugs and problems, discussing future plans for the game. here we get almost nothing. we got the announcement of shaders, mainly to calm the eternal stuffstorm that would've occurred if they were released without notice.

maps were bad because they held back development. too bad we never got any development. it's been over a god-damn year and there's been nothing released that would require the removal of maps. could you at least raise the packet/bit size limit, or like, add a water physics-vehicle class or something?
amazing post.

baddy really needs to start communicating with the community.  If he ever wants his game to become anything more than what it currently is (a little lego game with about 40,000 players) then he needs to use all this steam cash and hire some more devs, get some more advertising,  and get more involved in his own god damn game

he isn't going to change anything
he doesn't care