Author Topic: Will Blockland Be Split In Half?  (Read 2748 times)

You know, it's not impossible to make an irc mod with the ability to connect to multiple channels.

I might have a word with Port. and see if he wants to work together, and that would mean an IRC with different rooms, operated differently, but use the same server, But he probably wouldn't agree.

I might have a word with Port. and see if he wants to work together, and that would mean an IRC with different rooms, operated differently, but use the same server, But he probably wouldn't agree.

I guess I don't know how irc connectivity works, otherwise I would say: "Couldn't you just create a platform for connecting to the separate irc servers perhaps by mirroring other sites that do exactly this?"

um
have you heard of this great program named "Steam", OP?
Steam is irrelevant to this whole RTB discussion. Steam existed long before RTB was planned to be quit and you've been able to use Steam for chatting and such for this whole time. It cannot be a replacement, it is a system we've had all this time.

RTB is an in-game chat/friend/add-on system that does NOT require a separated account or profile.
Steam is NOT an in-game system and thus won't be an option to replace RTB, because it is entirely different concept.

Sure you can use Steam for chatting and such, you've been able to do so for a long while, RTB haven't been blocking it, but in this discussion, Steam is irrelevant. See my post a few comments above yours to get another point about it.

I think if these new RTB 'clones'  come out i think they should have a few extra features that RTB never had to make it more original and reasons to get it. These things could be Chat rooms with options to invite and make it closed or Server spotlights like Featured servers or Customizeation like Earn points by bing active to change your emblem that appears in the IRC.

Steam is NOT an in-game system and thus won't be an option to replace RTB, because it is entirely different concept.

When you launch a game through Steam you use shift+tab to launch the Steam overlay; and this is done in-game.
If people who used Steam really cared about talking to each other, they could just join the Blocklanders group and sit in the chatroom, it is literally a few clicks away.

When you launch a game through Steam
Launching a game through Steam is not done in-game.

Holy stuff is this seriously your only argument? Launching a game through the use of the Windows Explorer and a mouse isn't done in-game either; does this mean that if a platform doesn't launch with the loving game running in the background it is absolutely void? Learn to think.

Holy stuff is this seriously your only argument? Launching a game through the use of the Windows Explorer and a mouse isn't done in-game either; does this mean that if a platform doesn't launch with the loving game running in the background it is absolutely void? Learn to think.
If you seriously get offended when I claim Steam not being an in-game feature of Blockland, I'd suggest learning to think.

Steam is not made for Blockland. RTB is.
Steam isn't even a Blockland add-on. RTB is.
Steam is not an in-game feature of Blockland. RTB is.

I've done fine without Steam in BL for over five years, but I am going to be in trouble without RTB, this is my point. We simply need another in-game add-on like is RTB to replace RTB.

And this is where we get on topic. Several such systems are being planned/worked and OP is wondering if BL players will be divided into these systems, if they all are going to be finished. I personally believe this could be the case, if they're all equal quality, kind of what we saw about the different dedicated hosting services. However, if some of them turns out to be better quality than others, that one will most likely get the most users.

who's even disputing that though?

the point he's making is that the steam overlay is accessible in-game.

If you seriously get offended when I claim Steam not being an in-game feature of Blockland, I'd suggest learning to think.

Steam is not made for Blockland. RTB is.
Steam isn't even a Blockland add-on. RTB is.
Steam is not an in-game feature of Blockland. RTB is.

I've done fine without Steam in BL for over five years, but I am going to be in trouble without RTB, this is my point. We simply need another in-game add-on like is RTB to replace RTB.

So basically you don't like Steam because you don't want to download it and you're a stubborn cunt.

So basically you don't like Steam because you don't want to download it and you're a stubborn cunt.
I never claimed I didnt like Steam, it is one of the best, if not the best game-related system that exists for computers and I support it in every single way possible. I don't have Steam simply because I personally don't have use for it. Sorry if you got the wrong idea.

who's even disputing that though?

the point he's making is that the steam overlay is accessible in-game.
I understand and apologize, our idea of an in-game feature just seems to be a bit different. The sort of "in-game feature" I was talking about, is an add-on/default feature that is a big part of the game itself and isn't seen anywhere but inside the game itself.

RTB has all sorts of useful things that Steam itself cannot replace in BL, such as the ID lookup, which has come VERY handy in-game and I am already in trouble now that it doesn't exist anymore.

Steam is official, RTB is not.

That is if it actually is IRC. I haven't looked at these new clients so I don't know.
People call the Blockland chat IRC even though it uses a custom protocol and therefore not IRC
https://github.com/bam-org/bam-chat/blob/master/index.js is not actually IRC.