Author Topic: The Omni, a not so distant virtual reality.  (Read 2636 times)

am I the only one who would get the terror-stuffs whenever I'd try to play a game with this rig?

i think my problem would be that i run by leaning forward so i'd have to expand the omni to its maximum size just so i can properly bend around while moving

though it sounds like a stuff TON of fun to play scout using this. like you wouldn't even need to crouch just run all over the forgetin place and maybe accidentally jump manually a few times

actually what needs to exist is a function where the faster you run physically the faster your character goes, and eventually people will train themselves to run hellishly fast all the forgetin time in order to kick eachother's asses in video games
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:44:57 AM by Bushido »

"how video games make you fit"

I'm not really seeing the point of this, yeah yeah "muh emersun" but it didn't look responsive, watching markiplier it turned slowly, and didn't look responsive overall. In any first person shooter you have to be fast, turn quickly, move quickly and precisely, but it doesn't look like you'd achieve that with this. You'd have to be fighting a match of just people with the omni. Not to mention the fact that I need to have this big bulky thing somewhere open (which my game room is not) and close to my computer. There's also the fact that who knows if it would fit a person my size, 6'8" with 13w shoes(it does still need the special shoes, right?). Plus spending $500 when you're going to spend, what, $200+ on the oculus rift just doesn't seem that great to me just to play a game I would enjoy much more with just the rift. It seems pretty gimmicky, that thing that someone has but uses once or twice when they first buy it then two weeks later wonder "why did I waste $500 on this stupid thing"

Also, how would menus work?

sigh i hope these things become cheaper before i reach adulthood

the actual pad itself looks like something out of a 5 gum ad
My thought exactly.

They should make a full body suit you put on so that when people stab or shoot you in-game it makes you feel the pain

The lack of feedback would probably be pretty jarring, especially if your character is running up/down stairs or over rocky/uneven terrain.

Seems like a really cool experience but probably hinders your gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPyqGQYNspk&list=FL7fLtbpTruInNhnkmxjyffQ

Similar to this but still shows how kick ass this is. Only problem is yeah games you can go prone in would kinda eliminate that control all together unless it was binded to another button.

Edit: also on a lot of these it seems the in-game gun doesn't really respond to the position of the model gun you hold. It would be cool to see a gun that actually does represent the position you have it in inside the game. Then everything would be complete.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:53:10 PM by viper30000 »

Yeah. Currently the rift acts as your targeting reticule, but if you sync it with razor hydra's your gun becomes said gun. The gun may be a little far off depending on how you hold it.

inb4 star trek holodecks

Holy stuff it's like Ready Player One all over again

and nobody gets my references again :(
I got it.  I read the book and a saw that contest thing go down.