Poll

Which do you prefer? (See post)

Quick and dirty - we need a solution now!
Clean, well tested, and polished - I don't mind waiting.

Author Topic: Poll regarding hosting services  (Read 3034 times)

In my opinion, the fancy stuff doesn't really matter that much.

As long as it has FTP and remote command line access, it's fine.

Pretty much summed up a VPS.

That's fine for power users, yes. A good bit of the people that would be using this would probably prefer something more user friendly.

I imagine most people who want server hosting mainly want it because they can't run something 24/7 reliably.

How much RAM does a single BL server use up? That VPS server for $15/mo has 1GB of RAM, and I heard that BL servers only take up around 100mb to 250mb? (Not sure)

How much RAM does a single BL server use up? That VPS server for $15/mo has 1GB of RAM, and I heard that BL servers only take up around 100mb to 250mb? (Not sure)
I'd say 250-300mb would be a safe bet, they can but rarely do use up to 1.67gb.

I'd say 250-300mb would be a safe bet, they can but rarely do use up to 1.67gb.
I dont think I can believe anything about going over 1gb... But ya 250mb - 300mb seems likely

I dont think I can believe anything about going over 1gb... But ya 250mb - 300mb seems likely

Blockland is a 32-bit application so it can only use 2 GB (it's not compiled with the large-address-aware flag). Something about how the engine works limits it to 1.67 GB though.

On average a server with less then 20K bricks and less then 10 players will use no more than 250-300MB. If you get more then that, say 25-30 players with 50K bricks, the process will use closer to 450-600MB. If you run a server with a lot of vehicles, add-ons or events, the memory usage goes up even more, Kong's Deathrace is using 414MB with only 14 players and 23K bricks currently.

But, the only time it will use up to the max of 1.67GB is if you're running a full 99 player server with a lot of events or add-ons. Raven's FT with 60 players used about 1GB and Filipe's Steam server with 99 players used about 1.3GB, but he was running pretty much all default stuff, so that helped keep the memory usage down. Just some examples of servers I've observed.

While the UI features were nice and all whether or not I had them didn't really mean anything to me. I used Kaphost and RTB and pretty much felt the same about both (that is until about a year and a half when my Kaphost server kept crashing and the console log wasn't showing anything).

For me as long as it had remote start/stop, FTP access and maybe even remote console access I would be perfectly happy.

Bump one last time, I think I have enough data.

Why can't you guys just do what people did before hosting services?

Exactly; nobody had a problem with hosting it themselves.