Author Topic: Programming V3 MEGATHREAD [Because we need one]  (Read 6607 times)

PROGRAMMING
or coding

Yes v3, rest in peace to the other versions. I do not want to bump them and get banned. They are pretty much dead and abandoned.

What is programming?
By Google definition it is the process of writing a computer program. Yeah something like that.

What is programmed?
Your coffee machine, TV, computer and phone have all been programmed by someone. Whether they are fat and live in a basement is none of our concern, they get the job done.

Why?
To make things function. If no one programmed your laptop you'd be staring at a dead screen the whole day, heck I'd be surprised if you even have one because they have been manufactured by other robots who got programmed as well.

Cool looking charts

In this topic
-You can discuss about languages.
-You can ask questions about your code if you are stuck.
-You can show off your projects or brag about how cool or good you are.
-You can help your fellow mates with their code.
-You can talk about how games/programs or stuff works inside out.
-Have a cool tip or trick about programming to share? Share it here

My boring life story about programming;
I started with Python because it looked simple enough. After getting the basics done I moved onto C# and started my first GUI applications with Microsoft Visual Studio. After getting the basics done and doing some advanced stuff, I dropped it and picked up C++. Took a course at my school and it got me to do more things. I tried moving to GUI again but Microsoft stopped supporting Forms for Visual Studio for C++. After manual labor to get Win32 started, I found out how much of a pain in the ass it was to set everything up. I gave up and went back to console based programs and here I am, stuck in stuffty console based programs.
TL;DR I program crap console programs in C++

My current project;
Using C++

After messing around, I got a basic RSA encryption system going, then I got a client and server TCP connection program started and finished it and polished it. They are sitting there catching virtual dust so I am putting them together into this new console text based GUI I am making. Multiple clients connect to a server, they chat and yeah.

I think this thread might not survive as well as the other megathreads but hey it's there if anyone needs it.

So to start off, what languages do you know, which is your favorite and why?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:55:37 PM by Blockzillahead »

holy crap I never knew python was that popular

holy crap I never knew python was that popular

yeah i dont know about that circle graph. im pretty sure python is not the leading language

yeah i dont know about that circle graph. im pretty sure python is not the leading language

I don't see why it is all that hard to believe. Think how much user friendlier the syntax is, how easy it is to set up and get running, and the lack of the need for a compiler. And with more powerful computers becoming cheaper, the need for the efficiency and speed that languages like C++ has declines, since everyday applications really don't need to be that fast. Plus there is the bonus of not needing to port the program to another OS, for example Java which can work on any OS provided that java itself is installed on the machine already.

Of course, things like 3D Engines and other CPU intensive programs do need "higher tier" languages such as that of C or C++, but think about the demand there is for music players, flash games, word processors and other everyday, low-intensive programs in the software industry, compared to that of a 3D game engine, or aerodynamics simulator.

The circle graph shows sales of programming books not by projects that use the language.

The circle graph shows sales of programming books not by projects that use the language.

yeah but other graphs show python being really low on the popular scale.
same goes for job trends

also the circle graph is the first graph, the one below it is the one with the book sales.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:55:28 PM by Blockzillahead »

yeah but other graphs show python being really low on the popular scale.
same goes for job trends

also the circle graph is the first graph, the own below it is the one with the book sales.
Oh whoops.

C++ is probably my favorite.
Also do a decent amount of work with Java and LUA.
I've tried a bunch of others from basic to php but haven't really used them for anything recently.

good point but python is still not to the point of popularity that it over takes java

C++ is probably my favorite.
Also do a decent amount of work with Java and LUA.
I've tried a bunch of others from basic to php but haven't really used them for anything recently.
yeah i dont know why i find C++ easier than other languages. maybe its the syntax but i definitely learn a lot in a shorter time compared to python and C#

So far I've just worked with Torque a little tiny bit, then DarkBASIC was fun, and I'm proficient with programming my calculator

So far I've just worked with Torque a little tiny bit, then DarkBASIC was fun, and I'm proficient with programming my calculator
is it one of those ti graphing calculators?

C++ ftw

fully compiled, super fast, just awesome.