Author Topic: Probably corrupt BIOS  (Read 790 times)

Yeah so I tried flashing my BIOS because it was hella old and I was having issues with my computer before hand. The issues intensified and I was getting BSOD's and I figured I gotta update my BIOS. So I get all the (SUPPOSEDLY) correct software and files from ASUS and their website and flash my mobo using their tool on the UEFI BIOS and it says it successfully installed the update and it needed to restart. So it 'restarts' and none of my screens turn on and my keyboard and mouse don't light up. My computer is running and all the fans and stuff work. LED's are going and such, but it's just not going into POST. So yeah. loving corrupted BIOS. I'll be left computerless for at least a week while I sort this stuff out with ASUS, hopefully just need a new BIOS chip.
Fml

and yes I've already tried clearing my CMOS, battery, switch and all.

your forgeted
buy a new mobo or possibly a new PC

Typically ASUS boards allow you to put a BIOS file on a USB drive and swap a jumper or something to use the BIOS image you've provided. They're literally moron-proofed. Read your manual.

Typically ASUS boards allow you to put a BIOS file on a USB drive and swap a jumper or something to use the BIOS image you've provided. They're literally moron-proofed. Read your manual.
If you mess up you're bios, I'm pretty sure you're screwed.

I've already cleared my CMOS. I've already tried using the mobo's CD in hopes it would install the old BIOS. It's not booting into POST.

If you mess up you're bios, I'm pretty sure you're screwed.
Yeah, one portion of the BIOS. The other portion is a recovery mode that is write protected until you jump the connector.

I've already cleared my CMOS. I've already tried using the mobo's CD in hopes it would install the old BIOS. It's not booting into POST.
Not what I meant. Read your manual.

If it was already having issues before you updated, it seems like it could have been hemorrhaging hardware issue that would have left you with nothing given some time anyways.

Yeah, one portion of the BIOS. The other portion is a recovery mode that is write protected until you jump the connector.

Manual says nothing about that. I have a 2 year old mobo (P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3), don't think they had that feature then.

loving bullstuff. My M2V had it, and that board is from mid-2006. Pretty sure it was like CrashFree BIOS or some stuff. Allows you to restore a BIOS image with a USB drive containing the BIOS file.

loving bullstuff. My M2V had it, and that board is from mid-2006. Pretty sure it was like CrashFree BIOS or some stuff. Allows you to restore a BIOS image with a USB drive containing the BIOS file.

Yeah I see that feature, and it asks for me to place the CD or USB into the computer so it can install the old BIOS. It does not, how ever, say anything about a jumper. My screens or peripherals don't respond, so I don't see how I can fix this.

Also is there any legitimacy to this method: http://wikihow.com/Repair-Corrupted-BIOS-Firmware ?
I have an old and gutted computer that has a BIOS chip that looks exactly like mine (obviously the firmware is completely different, but it could potentially get the startup I need to install the old BIOS onto the corrupted chip).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:06:57 PM by ShadowsfeaR »

If there's onboard video, try using that for display right now.

If there's onboard video, try using that for display right now.

Nothing. My computer boots up and doesn't go into POST afaik

you have been CIH'd!

Nothing. My computer boots up and doesn't go into POST afaik
Take your graphics card completely out (disconnect all power connections too) and try again with onboard video. If there's a speaker on your motherboard does it beep?