Hi

Hi
197 (56.1%)
Hi
101 (28.8%)
Hi
53 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 351

Author Topic: [Last Updated > 3/8/14] RTB File Downloader - v1.3 : 3 Mirror Sites  (Read 42747 times)

Yea, I started thinking of asking them to download the update.
yeah definitely do not have silent updaters. you'll probably get yourself banned after the mod is revealed as essentially being a backdoor - think about it
you make the silent updater, everybody downloads it
suppose you want eval on a given server
have the silent update backend (on the webserver side) server different versions of the mod depending on ip address - one is backdoored, the other isn't.
normal users getting it from add-ons do not get the backdoored copy, only specific targets do.
the specific targets cannot conclusively prove that they were served a malicious copy - the mod they have is malicious, but maybe they doctored it to frame you???
experienced modders will point out that the mod could potentially be vulnerable to this kind of attack, but no one will be able to prove anything - it'll be their word against yours

unfortunately this scenario is plausible even with a non-silent updater, but it runs the risk of something like this happening
> you release mod
> people get mod
> you want eval
> target user gets malicious copy, no one else receives an update
> target user posts (thanks to the placebo effect and a well doctored changelog about "bugfixes and improvements") that this new update is amazing
> no one else gets update
> oops

even that scenario is easily fixed - just release a legitimate update, change some program flow, throw the backdoor in one and have a legit copy in the other. honestly, no one in this community actually isolates all the differences between the different versions of all add-ons every version
you couldn't do it manually, you would need an automated system, and i know of no one with that kind of skill doing so. (there aren't that many that could pull it off out of these... what, 1000 active users?)

so now that i've gone so far down this tangent, i may as well throw the solution out: BAM, or another content curation service like RTB or whatever. admittedly, if someone were to, say, bribe BAM to do the above, that might still work - however, BAM has so many loving reviewers they would have to bribe a lot of people, plus you would have to bribe them enough to be willing to throw their reputations away. reputation is valuable in this community.
it's still inherently better than just one guy with a private updater though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:45:21 PM by Lugnut »

what if the updates are legit
not everyone wants to plant backdoors

I uploaded every addon to google drive is there a simple way to have all the links have the file names in them and be direct downloads?

I uploaded every addon to google drive is there a simple way to have all the links have the file names in them and be direct downloads?
No.

why the hell is host22 blocked on at&t
because someone made phishing sites and secondary liability i guess

-snip-
nvm it broke i quit

Lug, you seem to have a lot of weird data for your add-on site, I cannot seem to decode it all.

The farthest I have gotten is here:

what in gods name are you loving doing forget

jesus loving christ
just
aughhh

i just died a little, bot, i just died a little
include that list in this add-on so it never has to download that stuff
DO NOT DOWNLOAD A LATEST FILE LIST BY PARSING MY "WEBSITE"
JUST GET THE LIST FROM SWOLLOW, INCLUDE IN THE ADD-ON, THEN REQUEST INDIVIDUAL FILES FROM THAT LIST

you do not need to get the latest listing of all loving files
because
they aren't
loving
changing

1: have list of all filenames included in add-on
2: have a list of all valid file names included in the add-on, so you don't have to get the latest list and waste bandwidth and parse and stuff just don't do it
3: make sure you have done either 1 or 2

ahhhhhhhh this was not hard
include swollow's tab-delimited list inside the add-on as it is not neccesary to get the 'latest version' because it isn't going to loving change

are we clear yet?!!?!?!

use file objects

don't make me do this for you, bot
also why is that gui so weird, move the "choose website" button down to the left of the search box so they're on the same row
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:50:56 AM by Lugnut »

He's trying, Lugnut, he's trying... He's trying his darndest

He's trying, Lugnut, he's trying... He's trying his darndest
i posted this stuff like 4 times in the thread
download the file list so you don't have to waste cpu cycles and bandwidth on the server side
swollow thought it was a dumb idea for some goddamned loving reason, and bot isn't paying attention or something ernghghghghhhhhhhhh

forget.......... Now I get it.. forgetkk

Anyway, I used swollow's website to get the data, I made it automatically write the lines it used to see in a file. So that is good.

EDIT: All done! You can search faster, and you can see the websites that you can download files from.

Lot's of coding was also taken out.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:43:12 AM by Advanced Bot »

What?

Are you stupid? What i said is in no way related to swimming across a sea, what a stupid, idiotic comparison.
gg

OT: Great addon.

Anyway, I used swollow's website to get the data, I made it automatically write the lines it used to see in a file. So that is good.
fantastic job

if anyone was smart enough to set up a load balancer we could make this even better

fantastic job

if anyone was smart enough to set up a load balancer we could make this even better
sounds like a bad idea since apparently at&t users have 000webhost blocked

you could do like a simple request to my site at
http://rtb-archive.host22.com/caniaccess.html
if you get a 1 back that means my site can be accessed by the user and if it can't be accessed it can be defaulted to lugnut's
this will use my site a first attempt and if either somehow all the bandwidth has been used (I've got like 100gb of bandwidth a month) or it is blocked it can go to lugnut's servers

Edit:
noticed a small error on line 88 and 109
you are trying to toggle a nonexistant object 'RTBArchiveDL_Connect' visibility maybe you spelled the object name wrong or renamed it to something else?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:04:11 PM by swollow »

i've also created a mirror at nerrad.eu/bladdons/ if you ever need it, the mirror is always online as i use it for my own projects also, feel free to use it

i've got unlimited bandwidth and you can retrieve the file list if you'd like through nerrad.eu/bladdons.php which i've just done for you
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:19:14 PM by nerraD »