Author Topic: why aren't saves barely posted on gallery?  (Read 2189 times)

i mean honestly, the game is about sharing your creations with others (if its through gameplay or allowance of the user to play with it on their own) and yet i see no one releasing saves of their projects and such. there is the "you can save it on their server!" argument but that doesn't work when it's not up or passworded now does it???

I was browsing S&R a while back for no good reason when i found a thread by Greek2Me that was asking for TDM saves. I saw someone post a download and took advantage of it. I now have tons of maps to host stuff on. Why can't everyone have this?

Here's a download to the pack. It has builds from many good servers from the past (be warned, some were hosted on terrains in v20, such as Seige and Slopes.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/kbwaher3jlejqso/%5BTDM%5Dsaves.zip?dl=1&token_hash=AAGE1dUZzwc7CeamTzpYBNJAyifRIwzeSACoUGxSzf7cVQ

builders and collaborators out there, please consider releasing your stuff. It'd be beneficial to all of us.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:38:49 PM by hodot »

a ton of stuff posted however isn't complete
i wouldn't exactly want something that is both a product the author is not fully proud of or is just plain unfinished
but yeah when a project is complete people do post a save for the most part
and there's no harm in just asking for a save
also there is the arguement that the certain build is built personally for their use (i.e. a large flat map for an rpg) and they probably don't see a need to share something that would only work for them or something
unless you're uhh
who asked for saves a ton
was it daniel giratina rogers
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:12:05 PM by Flamecannon »

/SUPPORT

also builders, if you do release your saves, include the stinkin' brick packs. it's not really fun going on a scavenger hunt for a bunch of brick packs.

People are looking for the wrong kind of attention. The wrong way to make the community happy.

They want a high population on their server, and they think this is what makes them well known, and what satisfies the community.

waiting for port to make an excuse

most people here don't create for the sake of creating; they create for the sake of gaining fame
i am no exception to this rule, though i've always made it a point (since 2011) to release any saves i deem completed or at a stage where its worth spreading.

ive never understood this either
especially when people ask and they flat out refuse

i mean yeah go ahead and not release it
they have the right to keep it

but dont put it up on a forum for everyone to see just for attention

i want to use bushis map tooooo

lmao @ all the people who think hosts are only out to "gain fame" and become "well known". this applies to maybe like, 2 hosters out of the hundreds. maybe people host because they want to have fun with others on something they made. maybe they host because they feel like making something instead of playing on what someone else made. not everyone is trying to "rise up" in the sea of servers. lol, take your server darwinism to a tezuni drama.

some people want to build with a select group of friends, and don't want kids taking the build and crapping it into an rp. some people don't want their unfinished product seen, and want to avoid false assumptions. some people make things specific to their server, that wouldn't work on someone else's. not everyone agrees with the idea of making builds for everyone to use. not every build is meant to be used by others.

what we could use is framework builds like the collab cities. builds that are made specifically so others can turn them into something else. collab city can be used for RP, TDM, racing, zombies, and more. this is part of what maps did; offer a framework for others to use. i hate when people call it "lazy" for using a framework instead of building everything from scratch. not everyone wants to sit around for hours (sometimes days or weeks) building something. the framework idea would really help a lot of people, including less experienced builders and people with little free time.

Collaborative builds are awesome, like Heed said. Although they take a lot of time to manage (clearing spam, dealing with those who have undeveloped building experience, all the sorts), I normally enjoy them if they are dedicated, have a theme, and maintain enough player activity. Anyone remember Wedge's Brick Party? --> http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=197990.0

If someone makes a server like this, whatever you do just don't make it like Badspot's Blockparty. That terrain and theme got old long ago (for me, at least).

Anyway, the reason I haven't released many of my saves is because it would take too much time to post all the brickpacks and links to download them. I would have to upload the certain version of the brickpack that I used years ago when the build was created. Also, brickpacks update. In the case of wedge bricks, version 5 screwed over a lot of saves because it removed bricks from version 4, and RTB automatically updated this add on for a lot of people. So that's why I recently started using only default bricks for my builds. Without too much difficulty, I released a speedkart track after making this switch to default bricks. --> http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=251318.0
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:09:35 AM by Wink »

I try to upload the save for every gallery topic I make. Buut ya I think people should post more saves. Baddy should make blocklandsaves.com integrated into the forums or something. Or make a child board in gallery devoted to the uploading of saves

Hm, I might finish up and release a few of my builds...
I agree with you.

"why aren't saves barely posted on gallery?"...

Am I the only one who's realized that in the title he's asking why saves are not barely posted in the gallery.

who asked for saves a ton
was it daniel giratina rogers
Daniel is the one who raged a ton. You're looking for Adelthesuper.