Author Topic: Server addon- taking damage slows you down  (Read 1282 times)

Has to be a server thing so it can be ued in conjunction with any playertype. Movement speed would regenerate after not being damaged within a few seconds. After being damaged your jump should disable.  The more damage you take makes you slower, but will always regen to a base speed after a few seconds. How long you have to wait is determined by how much damage you took. Made with playertypes that regenerate health in mind.

This would help make close shootouts with shotguns or smgs not become bullet spam fests where you just hold down the spacebar and mash shift.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:55:07 PM by Megaguy2 »

I don't see how it would help in that particular situation. it'd just be the same thing, except they're moving slower

I don't see how it would help in that particular situation. it'd just be the same thing, except they're moving slower
I don't think you understand, but that's probably my fault. Essentially this means that sneaking up on players is a garuntee of a kill pretty much because your target becomes slowed and loses their jumping ability entirely, meaning that players have to use cover built into the maps more effectively instead of rushing in ahead and jumping around.

Counter strikes core gunplay is based on this concept. Dispite having a high base speed and jumping ability it is often better to avoid close combat on an enemy that is aware of you by closing in. If you've played counterstrike you know what this is, and you'll also understand why it is a different style of game to an arena shooter, which is what blockland boils down to. Considering most gunpacks nowadays are built around non arena type gameplay what with reloading and recoil, I think it's time something was added to make these weapons more viable instead of feeling like stuffty cod guns in quake.

I can think of 2 games that I've played that have this concept, one being the uncharted 3 mp and the other being counterstrike. There is probably more. A simple thing like this allows for radically different gunplay, and I think that's cool. This would really help with making weaponpacks like T+t and hk and bkt and gravity cats stuff feel wayyy better, and it's really all those gunpacks ever needed.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:43:17 PM by Megaguy2 »

Although it would not be efficient, the only way I can see this being possible is making a tiny zone that constantly moves to where the player is. And the only way I can see of disabling their jumping is using setVelocity whenever they jump.

Could this be a feature that is put on weapons themselves, then? Would that work better? Could you just play with the recoil code, somehow? Maybe make it so the scales of slowdown are all playertypes you switch to when damaged or something?

Could this be a feature that is put on weapons themselves, then? Would that work better? Could you just play with the recoil code, somehow?
No. It would not really work better. The only way I can think of to make it work more efficiently would be to make make multiple player types with different speeds that can't jump and then to switch the person's playertype to the appropriate one.

No. It would not really work better. The only way I can think of to make it work more efficiently would be to make make multiple player types with different speeds that can't jump and then to switch the person's playertype to the appropriate one.
You posted that right after I edited my post, haha.
Yeah that seems like the way to go here but you'd have to get it to remember what playertype the player was using so he is switched back to that one after regenerating their speed.

You posted that right after I edited my post, haha.
Yeah that seems like the way to go here but you'd have to get it to remember what playertype the player was using so he is switched back to that one after regenerating their speed.
There would need to be a specific playertype that when taking damage you slow down. Otherwise you could change from a dragon, into a slow Blockhead, and back into a dragon again.

To be honest I don't think people would use this in combination wth playertypes that change your model.

Why do you need it to work with all playertypes and not just use swollow's Tactical Player?

What if you wanted a playertype that was faster or one that could climb and run along walls? What about playertypes that haven more than 100hp, for heavy classes?

What if you wanted a playertype that was faster or one that could climb and run along walls? What about playertypes that haven more than 100hp, for heavy classes?
I got around a similar problem by finding someone willing to edit the tactical player to have different playertypes that each fit my need. Other than that I don't think there would be an easy or glitch-free way to do this.

I got around a similar problem by finding someone willing to edit the tactical player to have different playertypes that each fit my need. Other than that I don't think there would be an easy or glitch-free way to do this.
Hm. Think you could share (and elaborate on) those playertypes? Do they run on the latest version?

Is there some kind of server parkour mod or is it all playertypes? I really want to combine this concept (and all the other stuff the tactical player does, thanks for telling me about that) with running and climbing up walls.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:46:19 AM by Megaguy2 »

Much better idea: Mount them to a bot vehicle that is invisible and has some six-or-so datablocks that it switches between based on how much it's limiting the player. Maybe have a few extra transitional ones that help adjust to players with higher than normal jump or run speeds.

Hm. Think you could share (and elaborate on) those playertypes? Do they run on the latest version?
I just got the latest tactical player and I needed different amounts of slots for my RP, so I have 5-slot, 6-slot, and 7-slot versions.
Different problem but same concept still applies.