City/town building gamemode (soon)

Author Topic: City/town building gamemode (soon)  (Read 615 times)

Its making some good progress. Part player built. Part randomly generated growth using player built things. Everything built by a player can be rated in game.
Of course the blu clan will hold its building contests in the middle of it all.

And all successful actions earn real life money to be spent on steam.

This is not some rp mod. Few elements will make you feel like you are role playing. It's like a free build where all players are still involved with things changing and growing long after your plot is built.

I'm not going to be to specific until we are testing it with a group of guys. But I was curious as to what some of you think a building mod may need for content.
I require it to be fun.

So you want to make a RP with Free build elements? Make it in lots. The owner of the lot can set the lot type, and thus sell stuff themed about that slot

Well there will be no in game money usage of any kind. No classes or items.

It's one of the first real mods that encourages community building. And actually controls how it's done and rewards as such.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:14:32 PM by Bisjac »

So you want to make a RP with Free build elements? Make it in lots. The owner of the lot can set the lot type, and thus sell stuff themed about that slot
This is not some rp mod.

the main thing i think there needs to be is some kind of sense of reward, even if it's just artificial, to make people more motivated to actually build something well. if you're going to have a ratings system, that's at least halfway there, you just need to find a way to make the ratings matter

like when ephi gave those badges or w/e on badspot's block party. that was good motivation to build neat stuff because it was recognition that you did a good job from a significant member of the community. obviously the same thing won't work for this though

sounds nice though. we need more gamemodes that focus on blockland's main strength

Mm true. People will earn or win steam games as blu always does on its servers.
But I could have some kinda novelty vanities given out on players ratings.

But I could have some kinda novelty vanities given out on players ratings.
this is a rly good idea

it's amazing how effective aesthetic items are at motivation
anything a can wear to say "look at how cool i am guys!" is excellent motivation

that's why people are willing to put down absurd sums of money to get hats on TF2 or have a purple trail behind them in some random GMod server.

Will this be a server-sided or client-sided mod? Also this sounds fantastic! I look forward to this, Bisjac!

Mainly server side.
But we are discussing a client side non essential mod to compliment it.
More for those who would revisit often

This is a fantastic idea!

Give people blockland trading cards on steam as a reward.

Awesome idea, can I help with testing it?

Like imagine "someone" (the gamemode itself is that entity) is playing a very simplified version of sim city.
The roads grow on their own with terrain expanding outward as needed. But empty plots of different types and sizes are marked as something needed.
A player would pick one and build what it asks for. It will be pending by time or rating number as people rate it out of 10. the build remains forever if the rating average holds up.
And that player is rewarded steam credits. And likely some kinda in game score just for fun.

Now the game will take what you built and use that at random when expanding more.

And to avoid being ultra repetitive looking, People may get repainting or hammering requests to deal with the duplicated plots. Some that may reopen for another player to add something to the spawn database.

I imagine a fun aspect to the server will be you rejoining a weekend later to find the city grown. Some new things moved around. And that tree or house you made being reused in new spots.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:11:07 AM by Bisjac »

This is cool, I really look forward to it (:

I would love to play on this, this really does sound like a great idea!

If you need any roads or starting structures, props, the like, I've got a save that you could use that contains all the work for Vaux's City RPG (it was decided that the mod was more important than a server housing the mod)

Roads come in various sizes:
Avenue- 98x64 (4 lanes + sidewalk)
Road- 64x64 (2 lanes + sidewalk)
Street - 32x32 (2 lanes + small sidewalk)
Backstreet - 16x16 (1 lane)
Alleys - 32x32 or 16x16 (contains debris, trash, etc)
Dirt roads - 16x16 wide (grass connects with terrain)

There are a lot of other things I've got that may be helpful, it's all high detail (a straight avenue is roughly 100 bricks). If you're interested, give me a PM. I'll more than likely be busy this afternoon but I'd love to show you the file provided we both have time