Blocktopia

Poll

Take time to add building while planning the actual game?

Yes
60 (85.7%)
No
10 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Blocktopia  (Read 12889 times)

So this is my latest attempt at making a game, or at least a program that will eventually become a game.
    Previous attempts:

Graphical Features:
  • Shaders
  • Lights
  • Emitters
  • Model loading
  • Sprites
  • Transparency
  • Height-mapped terrain
  • Sky boxes

Controls:
  • W - Forward
  • A - Left
  • S - Backward
  • D - Right
  • F - Zoom
  • Space - Jump
  • R - Place light
  • M - Freemouse
  • Escape - Exit
  • T - Open Chat
  • Enter - Send/Close chat

Dev-Controls:
  • Home - Move emitter 0 up
  • End - Move emitter 0 down
  • Page up - Move emitter 0 forward
  • Page down - Move emitter 0 backward
  • Insert - Make emitter 0 more yellow
  • Delete - Make emitter 0 more red
  • Q - Toggle player light

Things you can/should edit:
  • settings.txt  ---  Basically preferences in plaintext format, should be easy to figure out
  • StandardShadingFragment.glsl  ---  This tells what colors everything should be
  • StandardShadingVertex.glsl  ---  This tells what positions everything should be, imo not as fun to forget around with
  • Textures and models  ---  Pretty self explanatory
  • The heightmap ---  just a regular 24 bit bitmap, I generated the one I'm using now with paint.net's cloud function

Other notes:
  • The shader format used are quite similar to Blockland's shaders, just a more advanced version
  • While this program still isn't optimized amazingly, it does run decently on my stuffty notebook on lower settings, so you should be able to get it work for you
  • If you start it up and you just get the same join message over and over again and the terrain doesn't load, just restart the game and try to join again. It's a bug that happens randomly occasionally.
  • If you can't connect let me know and I'll (re)start the server
  • If you can't start the game, post your stderr.txt file to the forums

Screenshots:

Changelog
  • 15:16 11.06.2014 --- Framerate hopefully capped around 60 for all computers, key presses while in the key bind menu will no longer trigger actions ingame, leaving the menu open for a while shouldn't disconnect you, mousespeed is now an option on the menu.
  • 03:02 05.04.2014 --- Graphics settings added to settings menu. Escape does nothing while in that menu. Buttons and text moved around a bit. Fixed Backwards keybind reverting to default.
  • 23:05 04.04.2014 --- Hitting esc ingame now brings you to a menu where you can rebind keys or exit the game.
  • 00:56 03.04.2014 --- Brick type editor added. Ghost bricks now transparent.
  • 15:53 02.04.2014 --- Packet protocol for receiving bricks increased limit from 256 to 65536 bricks. You must update in order to see bricks correctly.
  • 14:11 02.04.2014 --- Hold down tab to view the players list. Building should now work to some extent.
  • 23:26 01.04.2014 --- Crosshair added. Chat moved down. "Hit m to hide mouse." text added when in freemouse mode.
  • 20:22 01.04.2014 --- Clicking now puts the ghost brick on the ground where you click. Enter sends the request to plant to the server, but as of now the server doesn't do anything with it.
  • 14:24 01.04.2014 --- More of the building gui and features added to client. Mouse sensitivity default decreased from 0.5 to 0.3. Server fixes.
  • 18:38 29.03.2014 --- Ability to paste from the clipboard into username, password, and chat fields added. Support for receiving and showing blocks added.
  • 02:41 29.03.2014 --- You can now register, log in, and play as guest.
  • 00:15 29.03.2014 --- You can now choose your guest name and the client side for logging in is there, just need to add a register feature.
  • 14:55 28.03.2014 --- Cursor now hidden unless in mouse free mode, water texture updated with animations.
  • 03:38 28.03.2014 --- Server will now say you disconnected as soon as you exit with this version. Also added sand and sand+grass terrain.
  • 13:11 27.03.2014 --- Made water color change with ambient color. Added underwater sound effects.
  • 11:21 27.03.2014 --- Fixed the game for people being able to get past opengl initialization, but not the shaders. Also added water.
  • 22:00 26.03.2014 --- Heightmap and model positions now serverside. OLD_OPENGL is now 1 by default.
  • 20:15 23.03.2014 --- Second grass sprite added, sprites now respond to the ambient lighting. (still need to make them work with diffuse) Terrain now responds better to diffuse lighting. Footstep noises added. Assets organized into their own folders.
  • 16:32 23.03.2014 --- Added names over players heads, fixed some networking bugs.
  • 20:36 22.03.2014 --- Added client support for sounds and being teleported. You need this version to hear sounds or be teleported. Server side changes as well occured.
  • 17:17 22.03.2014 --- Networking update, you need to update or else stuff won't work. Protocol added for verifying weather or not certain types of packets were received
  • 15:04 22.03.2014 --- You can now see each other. Players are the weed model from my farming gamemode.
  • 13:24 22.03.2014 --- Constant ping, server can tell when a client has disconnected, sends out a message to that effect.
  • 00:36 22.03.2014 --- Lots of networking advancements, most importantly chat. Also you get a message when others join and environmental variables are server sided
  • 16:32 21.03.2014 --- Sprite optimization, "SPRITES" in the settings now means sprites per chunk, not total sprites, be sure to adjust accordingly (default reduced from 2048 to 256!!!)
  • 14:17 21.03.2014 --- Now tries to find and connect with the server. Will tell you if it could connect or not.
  • 13:07 21.03.2014 --- Added new "OLD_OPENGL" option to the settings, when set will use OpenGL 3.2 instead of 4.0, there does not yet seem to be a noticeable difference, and this should allow older machines to run it as well

Download and try it out:
http://syerjchep.org/release.zip
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:20:56 AM by DrenDran »

AOT 2 by svyjervygycheep anybody?

That is legitimatelly real cool. any ideas for the game itself?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:25:37 AM by Camel »

I actually wouldn't mind this.

I remember this. It was fun testing it.

I would go for a more stylized art style and move away from semi realism.

I would go for a more stylized art style and move away from semi realism.
If only I could make assets.
Literally the only real art in the game has been either taken from google searches or Blockland add-ons.
Hell, the first model I tested with was the weed model from the farming gamemode. I could render a 100 x 100 grid of them and get like 60 fps :)
I remember this. It was fun testing it.
long time ago though
this is a completely new program, completely from scratch, much more advanced version of opengl which means I can do a lot more with it potentially

That is legitimatelly real cool. any ideas for the game itself?
I actually wouldn't mind this.
What was AoT about?

Can't make assets? I'd look into that. Seems like something really useful to know.
But what's an asset? Laughably, I don't even know what that means.

you should make a game that looks like Proteus but actually has mechanics in it.

you should make a game that looks like Proteus but actually has mechanics in it.
No idea what that is, guess I could look it up.
Can't make assets? I'd look into that. Seems like something really useful to know.
Assets = Sounds, textures, models, etc.

An asset is something that you posses that has value. It's kind of an empty word here though, just mentally replace it with "things." Assets really refers to all the artwork that make up a game though.

An asset is something that you posses that has value. It's kind of an empty word here though, just mentally replace it with "things." Assets really refers to all the artwork that make up a game though.
Yeah pretty much
And I can't make any of them too good

I'm going to try bumping one last time until I actually have a multiplayer 'game' working.
One of the last times I did this it got 27 pages of replies so I have some faith that I can get some attention here.

uh how do I open it
i tried running the .exe in the file but it did nothing

uh how do I open it
You can't really run .exe files from inside zips, extract to its own folder, then run it.
If it still doesn't go, after you've tried to run it, post the logfile.txt here. It will help me a lot.

uh how do I open it
If you have an intel gpu, you can't play it (like me).