Gnome
KDE
XFCE
LXDE
Unity (why not)
MATE
Other
None/WM

Author Topic: linux_megathread_3.pkg.tar.xz -- Post your desktop!  (Read 41958 times)

more like a centralized, closed-source, cross-platform chat system for me
yeah bad idea to use it :(

FM: thunar (but i barely use it because i practically live in the CLI)
text editor: vim (usually inside tmux ♥)
archiver: can't we all just use the cli tools like tar and unzip?
browser: chromium and FF mostly
terminal: urxvt or fbterm (depends whether i'm in X or not)

Why is my xubuntu 13.10 telling me to upgrade to version 14.04 but then it starts downloading ubuntu 14.04 instead?  Did I make it forget which OS it is somehow?

Why is my xubuntu 13.10 telling me to upgrade to version 14.04 but then it starts downloading ubuntu 14.04 instead?  Did I make it forget which OS it is somehow?
Just download xubuntu off of the site.
srs
I haven't used Linux in awhile

can't we all just use the cli tools like tar and unzip?
No. You should be able to modify an archive's contents instead of just extracting files from it.

No. You should be able to modify an archive's contents instead of just extracting files from it.
Decompress it, modify, recompress it. It's really not that hard.

Decompress it, modify, recompress it. It's really not that hard.
Yeah, but it's more convenient to just view the whole thing as if it were a folder in a file manager.

Yeah, but it's more convenient to just view the whole thing as if it were a folder in a file manager.
I don't think we use linux in anywhere near the same way. I take my mouse off my desk when I use linux (except when I browse the web) to clear up that space.

For me, it's a factor of ten faster to type the commands than to fetch my mouse and go clicking around to navigate to the directory I want. It's so much easier to type
Code: [Select]
cd /home/trinick/projects
tar -xzvf projectone.tar.gz
vim projectone/main.cpp
rm projectone.tar.gz
tar -zcvf projectone.tar.gz projectone
than it is for me to type thunar then go to base directory (/) then click on home, then click on trinick, then click on projects, then click on projectone.tar.gz, then somehow figure out where thunar stores the temporarily decompressed files so I can go type "vim /path/to/my/file" just so it can be automatically recompressed when I save the file.

But better yet; the better idea is to just not store files that you need to modify in compressed form. Being compressed has no benefit outside of distribution, leave your files decompressed and just compress them when you need to distribute. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:14:39 PM by $trinick »

Well then I guess different methods are better for different people.

I use tab religiously in a terminal

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace phonon-gstreamer with extra/phonon-qt4-gstreamer? [Y/n]
:: Replace phonon-gstreamer with extra/phonon-qt5-gstreamer? [Y/n]

arch pls

pls

Ya'll nigs should be using atool

It's a multitool of archive managers - 'atool -x archive.zip' 'atool -x archive.tar.gz' 'aunpack archive.tar.gz.xz.zip' all do the same thing: extract your files into a directory (if there's more than one) so it doesn't fill up the directory your archive is in

Pretty lovey

Hey, I have a question. How many people here use a Linux operating system for their job.

Im buying a VPS with a linux distro on it. Am I allowed to post here? (:

Im buying a VPS with a linux distro on it. Am I allowed to post here? (:
sure why not