Gnome
KDE
XFCE
LXDE
Unity (why not)
MATE
Other
None/WM

Author Topic: linux_megathread_3.pkg.tar.xz -- Post your desktop!  (Read 41911 times)

WINE still can't run everything, but it's mostly the fault of the application developers (they are using stuffty code or frameworks (and sometimes viruses/spyware like gameguard and xtrap))
then again aren't all compatibility problems just problems of the application developers being too incompetent to use cross-platform libraries? cross-platform game development is easy
Anything that can't run on wine is probably not worth my time anyway.

gee i wonder when elementary os is gonna get it's CIA update :s
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:02:18 PM by PurpleMetro »

gee i wonder when elementary os is gonna get it's CIA update :s
whussat.

What benefits does linux have over windows besides being free and 100% customizable? I'm honestly curious.

What benefits does linux have over windows besides being free and 100% customizable? I'm honestly curious.

linux has a greater, and if not that then more focused security system

linux has a diverse variety of distros for it

if you want to use your computer as a firewall, or a hosting server then you can use linux (because it does have distros based solely on that) as an os for it, so you won't have to install a whole full-fledged multi-purpose desktop operating system like windows

linux does have alternatives to some of the popular windows applications

I'd say it's much more developer-friendly, that and its derivatives generally uses less resources and takes up less space. It's definitely no gamer's OS though, not by a long shot.

It's a free, open-source, lightweight alternative to Windows. And it can pretty much do anything that Windows can. Including run Windows programs.
Extremely good development platform.
Good for gaming.
Runs well on just about any computer.
Also it's good for hosting servers.
In the screenshot I had to disconnect form the internet for a while, but the server kept trying to authenticate. Lol Blockland is dum.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:25:56 PM by blueblur121 »

Everything is built so much better. It's a sort of subtle difference, but it's one of those "you can't go back" kind of deals. From a user level the differences can be hard to tell, but when you step into the realm of development it's incomparible to windows.

Let's start with the highest level, your programming interface. You might be used to some IDE or sublime text or notepad++ or whatever, but when you step outside your comfort zone and customize your programming atmosphere and tweak it until it's perfect, it's like something clicks and programming suddenly becomes so much less tedious.

Then you deal with the actual code. You will never realize how absolutely horrible WinAPI is until you stop using it. For the first time when you're writing code you'll realize everything actually makes sense and flows in a straight line instead of going all over the place. Obviously this effect is greatly diminished in cross-platform scripting languages.

Irrelevant to programming, you have no idea how slow using a mouse is. You've got a document in your documents that you need moved to your Blockland add-on folder. Windows: Open Windows Explorer, click your user in the left pane, scroll until you find Documents, scroll until you find your file, right click, cut, click on Documents in the address bar to go back, scroll to find Blockland, double click it, double click Add-Ons, right click outside of all the icons, paste. The whole process will take you at least thirty seconds. Linux: mv ~/file.zip ~/Blockland/Add-Ons

That's it. You'll even have the console open already because you'll be using it for other stuff. If you're already in your Add-Ons folder it becomes even easier; mv ~/file.zip .

trying to get used to the i3 wm

geez this is hard to navigate

trying to get used to the i3 wm

geez this is hard to navigate
You'll get used to it fast and it'll be wonderful. In the mean time just $Mod+Shift+Space and $Mod+R to make and resize floating windows like you're used to.

So based on your posts, it's:
  • Better for hosting servers of any sort
  • Good for gaming and also not made for gaming (???)
  • Able to run windows programs with some trouble and chance of incompatibility
  • Much more developer friendly
  • More keyboard and command-line oriented than GUI oriented like windows
  • Overall better once you get used to it

Would you say this is correct?

Yep. I agree with all those statements.

It doesn't have to be command-line oriented though. In Windows command line control is convoluted and weird, so nobody uses it. For this reason Linux is more command-line oriented, but you get to pick the exact level of command-line-ness you want. I personally don't use a desktop manager, so I don't have a lot of GUI "luxuries" because I prefer to use the command line.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:19:07 PM by $trinick »

Yep. I agree with all those statements.
Okay. So before I actually dual boot this stuff I wanna try it out first. Is there anything I need to know before installing Debian on a VM?

Okay. So before I actually dual boot this stuff I wanna try it out first. Is there anything I need to know before installing Debian on a VM?
Er, why is Debian your choice? My personal recommendation is Manjaro, it's based on Arch Linux which is my personal favorite flavor of Linux and it comes ready-to-play. Debian is still easier than, say, Gentoo to install but it's going to be a more difficult user experience.