Author Topic: Interesting graphics fail...  (Read 2284 times)

So I was going through, finally getting all of the steam achievements.  I attempt the "Educated" achievement by playing through the tutorial.  I got to the "wrench" level, where you use a wrench to set the emitter on a brick.  Upon opening the wrench menu, Blockland crashes and returns with the message, "The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limit and is unable to continue.".  A pop-up displayed, instructing me to visit a page to view why this happened, so I did.  This error occurs when the workload exceeds what the graphics card can process.

I have been on servers where 100+ tank cannon shots have simultaneously exploded, where 100k bricks have been painted pink, where 99 players have stacked, etc.  How can one little wrench instance cause an overload of my graphics card?

did the wrench menu open prior to the crash

try reproducing the error and cough up a console.log

I got to the paint level when I crashed again, and I managed to get a crash.log.  This time though, my entire computer crashed, without a pop-up.  I'll try to reproduce it some more times.

Reproduced.  Got to the "Hammer" level.  Seems to me like it is time-fail.  I waited a bit after spawning this time and got to hammer.  The first time, I got to wrench, which was the next level, and I didn't try on that attempt.  The second time, I tried rushing through, and got to paint, which was the next level after wrench.  I have never had 1) so many errors within such a small amount of time and 2) so many errors on the same gamemode/same game/same server/same anything.

I made it through the entire tutorial before the error could occur, so I am fairly certain it is something based on time.

Badspot

• Administrator
Do
trace(1);
in console, then get it to crash and post log. 

I see this error extremely often when testing out intensive shaders on relatively weak graphics cards. It's basically the graphics card taking so long to render a single part of a frame that the driver times out and gives up.

Badspot

• Administrator
I see this error extremely often when testing out intensive shaders on relatively weak graphics cards. It's basically the graphics card taking so long to render a single part of a frame that the driver times out and gives up.

OP has a gtx 580 so that is unlikely to be the problem.  It is probably something in one of his many client add-ons, but the game should not crash from an add-on.  I would like him to do the trace and determine which add-on is the problem so that I can duplicate the problem and fix the crash.

Every time I try to attach a console log with trace(1); activated, the webpage takes too long to load it, and fails.  Relating to Port's comment, I think I was trying to enable soft shaders for my Steam Blockland folder, and may have messed up the files in the shaders folder.  I can't remember if I had tried - I was tired then.  This may be the reason for all of the crashes, though, so I'll just redownload all of the shader files and see if it's fixed.

So I went through the normal process of deleting the cache.db and shaders folder and running blockland, but the shaders folder didn't reinstall.  Can I get an original steam shaders folder?

Triple post!

Anyway, it was definitely something wrong with the shaders folder.  In its absence, I ran the Tutorial, sat there for 5+ minutes while doing forum-related stuff and didn't crash.

Quad post.

Now I don't think it was Blockland's fault.  Another Steam game just did this to me - twice.

Quad post.

Now I don't think it was Blockland's fault.  Another Steam game just did this to me - twice.
which game?

which game?

Kerbal space program.

And now it might not be steam, but something with my computer, because now my computer crashes on startup.

My dad was using the computer for taxes today, and it hasn't crashed, so it looks like its back to being a steam thing.