Author Topic: Finally solved a Rubik's cube  (Read 1202 times)

I would solve a rubiks cube but it never really got me anywhere meaningful
so i cheated and used the manual override (flat-headed screwdriver)

Last trimester there was a guy in one of my classes who could solve it in under two minutes no matter how hard I tried to mess it up.
my fastest time is in 58 seconds [considerably slow compared to some other forumers here (daedalus i think?)] and it actually doesn't matter how hard you scramble it.

i solve it the beginners way and i've done it so often that even though i haven't solved one in a month or two, muscle memory would bring it right back up.

I know I'm really stupid, but aren't the online resources notated ambiguously?

No
At least, on the Rubik's Cube website solving guide, it tells you what all the letters mean. It also has little pictures to go with the text.

My average time is about a minute and a half. I've done it in 39 seconds. It's not hard.

Isn't it spelt Rubix?

But yay, you did it!

It's not hard, just memorization of patterns. It takes decidedly less skill than most people think, making it a very satisfactory party trick

If you want to see something actually super difficult, look up cube competitions where people have to solve them as fast as they can with blindfolds on. They look at the cube first, memorize the whole thing and map out the moves first, then they put the blindfold on and do it. Pretty damn cool.

I used to know the algorithms for a 2x2 but I've since forgotten.

If you want to see something actually super difficult, look up cube competitions where people have to solve them as fast as they can with blindfolds on. They look at the cube first, memorize the whole thing and map out the moves first, then they put the blindfold on and do it. Pretty damn cool.
That's hardcore.

-snip-

Backing this up, it's actually pretty simple when you've got the patterns down. My best time is 50 seconds.

I got this - close to solving one several times and somehow forgeted up each time

It's not hard, just memorization of patterns. It takes decidedly less skill than most people think, making it a very satisfactory party trick
Yeah
I'm not that great at memorization sometimes, so it's a bit of a trick
Still, I have a decent mind for 3d thinking.

You know, since we have this thread, I may as well ask - has anyone here ever solved the Rubik's Revenge (4x4) or the Professor's Cube (5x5)?

I knew some kid in high school who could solve it behind his back.

You know, since we have this thread, I may as well ask - has anyone here ever solved the Rubik's Revenge (4x4) or the Professor's Cube (5x5)?
Somebody at my school had a 12x12 apparently, but he graduated