If a train leaves a station...

Author Topic: If a train leaves a station...  (Read 1424 times)

A freight train leaves a station at 3:00 travelling at 30mph. A passenger train leaves the station at 4:00 traveling at 50 mph.  At what time will the passenger train pass the freight train? (Or smash into it, if that's how your imagination works in this particular scenario.)

I think I can solve this, but I'm running on twenty minutes of sleep and I have school. No thank you!

intersection of y = 30x + 30 and y = 50x

x = 1.5
So, 5:30

1.5 hours (5:30

intersection of y = 30x + 30 and y = 50x

x = 1.5
So, 5:30

god damnit

There are a lot of ways to do it, and a lot of them are right.

50 mph - 30 mph = 20 mph

30 mph * 1 hour = 30 miles

30 miles / 20 mph = 1.5 hours

Units are in subscript. Math teachers hate me because I have a habit of leaving the units out during calculations, leading to an answer looking like this:

50 - 30 = 20
30 * 1 = 30
30 / 20 = 1.5 hours

EDIT:

If a train leaves a station in a forest, and there's nobody around, does it derail and crash into a heavily populated suburb because it's possessed by poltergeists?
Who would have set it moving if there's nobody around?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:50:36 AM by Xalos »

If a train leaves a station in a forest, and there's nobody around, does it derail and crash into a heavily populated suburb because it's possessed by poltergeists?

Yes.

The poltergeists.

EDIT:
peeves did it!

Dglider, Why are you making us do your homework?

They should smash into each other but according to my physics teacher's logic, they are uncollideable and continue route even if the rails are discontinued.

the answer is benedict cumberbatch

Was there an indian burial ground under the suburb?