15 things I noticed about shooters in general.

Author Topic: 15 things I noticed about shooters in general.  (Read 1367 times)

Warning:Contains links to Tv Tropes. Don't open too many tabs.I shortened this to 15 because its already a huge wall of text. Mostly applies to shooters, whoops. Changed it to "15 things I noticed about shooters in general". Old title was "15 things I noticed about videogames".
1)It doesn't matter if you are a ordinary guy who's never used a gun in your life before. You will have perfect accuracy with that pistol/handcannon/alien ray gun. The recoil of firing that Desert Eagle/Automag/other hand cannon will NOT snap your tiny baby hands, and can be fired at the same rate as the normal pistol in that game. You magically know how to operate a gun if you are a protagonist of a video game. Unless its Deus Ex(first one only), System Shock, or Alpha Protocol. In those games you must invest points into using a gun.http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HandCannon

2)You WILL rack up a bodycount higher than humanly possible. I'm not sure if you are a hero or a glorified Flash Mober. This gets obvious in games like Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Deus Ex, Alpha Protocol, Bioshock(all games), Half Life 1 and 2, and so on. Even in the Mario games. You basically run through the various different worlds while stomping the stuff out of everything that moves and killing them.

3)Pistols are better than shotguns and everything else when it comes to range in most games. A pistol is actually a handheld sniper rifle in disguise, hence the term "sniper pistol". Team Fortress 2, Half Life, Blockland(default gun), Call Of Duty series, Deus Ex 1(Attach a laser sight to the pistol and not a scope for perfect accuracy, although this is more exploiting a bug), and so on have this. Alpha Protocol is good at averting sniper pistols unless you use Chain Shot and go for the head.http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SniperPistol

4)Shotguns are unrealistically short ranged in most games. Pellets go MAYBE a centimeter before dissapearing. Notable offenders:Call Of Duty series(To a massively annoying extent), Halo(unless its the first game), Metal Slug, PAYDAY 2(A patch nerfed shotguns.), and XCOM:Enemy Unknown.
 Notable aversions of "short range shotgun" include Left 4 Dead series, Customizable Weaponry for Garry's Mod, the first game in the DOOM series, Max Payne 3(sorta), and Grand Theft Auto:The Ballad of Gay Tony(Exploding shotgun is a godamn sniper.)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShortRangeShotgun

5)Coop games are usually 4 player coop. Serious Sam,however, has 16 player coop on some of the games.

6)Reloading is handled weirdly. Despite the reload animation showing you throwing away the entire magazine, you will still have all those bullets in reserve. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneBulletClips

7)Theres no risk of hearing loss, either from firing a shotgun inside a airvent or a car with the windows closed, or from a machinegun going off next to your ear. Unless its an explosion, in which case you MIGHT suffer temporary hearing loss.

8)AI Teammates in Modern Military First Person Shooters are beyond useless. They stand there ordering you to do an objective, fire inaccurately, are invincible, and never get targeted by the enemy because the enemy prefers to gang up on the human player.http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArtificialStupidity

9)Enemies in videogames often yell at you to surrender or drop a gun. Even if you do, they still fill you with lead. Why are the cops shooting to kill because they caught me jaywalking? Grand Theft Auto series, Deus Ex 1 and 3, and many other games are offenders of this.http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SimultaneousWarningAndAction

10)The AI only pays attention to the player. NPCs can be holding a gun openly, but the instant YOU pull one they realize you are the player and gang up on you.(Hitman series and Postal 2). In the Hitman series of videogames, NPCs can carry guns openly(as previously stated), go into restricted areas, and pretty much do anything. If the player does the same thing, they open fire.http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConspicuouslySelectivePerception

11)Tactical Shooters(Not Counter Strike, I mean as in SWAT 4, the early Rainbow Six games, and ARMA) are dead.

12)Sniping is represented by a scope overlay completely blocking the screen, letting you only see the scope and nothing outside it. That's kinda unrealistic.. Red Orchestra 2 and Hitman:Absolution get it right. Even the REALISTIC tactical shooters GET IT WRONG. Rainbow Six 3 and the ARMA series are guilty of this. http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/38742-suggestions-for-the-dayz-standalone-thinking-outside-of-the-limitations-of-an-arma-2-mod/ search for "changes to sniping".

13)Games made "more accessible" are almost always dumbed down. Deus Ex:Invisible War, the Rainbow Six Series after Lockdown, and Ghost Recon are offenders I can think of right off the bat. Consolitis plays a huge role in those games. Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon went from Tactical Shooters with actual strategy to Call Of Duty with slightly smarter teammates that you can give orders to. Deus Ex:Invisible War had universal ammo, because managing ammo is too hard for the average console player apparently.

14)Regenerating health is everywhere. PAYDAY:The Heist does a partial example of it, where armor regenerates but health does not. Everywhere else,though, and its BLOODY SCREEN! SO REAL! HIDE BEHIND A CORNER FOR 3 SECONDS AND HEAL THE BULLET WOUNDS! WOW! SO EASY TO PLAY, AND NOT DIFFICULT AT ALL!! NO NEED TO HUNT HEALTH PACKS! NO NEED TO CONSERVE RESOURCES!
15)Difficulty level is based on numbers instead of actual difficulty.
Easy Mode:You die in 50 hits and enemies die in 1.In essence, you can tank damage.
Hard Mode:You die in 3 hits and enemies die in 50, plus they have perfect accuracy.You are extremely squishy, and enemies are resilient to damage.
REALISTIC MODE:You die faster than a guy being shot in the head with a .50 caliber gun. Enemies die in 135234523462346 hits, and have perfect accuracy.Reference to Deus Ex and Far Cry here. You die even FASTER, but enemies are suddenly made of iron, and can take a point range shotgun blast to the forehead without their head exploding.

I could post more, but I already have the wall of text here. Maybe another day.
it's tvtropes, it'll be no use warning them since they'll crash their browser from the tabs they'll open from the sheer amount of addictiveness from it

also, this is just for military shooters, not videogames in general woops, forgot that military shooters are the market now

good list though
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:07:04 PM by tber123 »

Warning:Contains links to Tv Tropes. Don't open too many tabs.

it's tvtropes, it'll be no use warning them since they'll crash their browser from the tabs they'll open from the sheer amount of addictiveness from it

also, this is just for military shooters, not videogames in general woops, forgot that military shooters are the market now

good list though

good list though
Some of it applies to non-military shooters, such as Deus Ex, Alpha Protocol, and Super Mario Brothers.

I don't even understand the point of this

like everyone knows this about video games? It's not like you noticed something about a video game or video game series that not that many have before or something

7)Theres no risk of hearing loss, either from firing a shotgun inside a airvent or a car with the windows closed, or from a machinegun going off next to your ear. Unless its an explosion, in which case you MIGHT suffer temporary hearing loss.

this happens in pretty much all fiction...

15)Difficulty level is based on numbers instead of actual difficulty.

because it's the easiest way to make a game harder without doing anything?

3)Pistols are better than shotguns and everything else when it comes to range in most games. A pistol is actually a handheld sniper rifle in disguise, hence the term "sniper pistol". Team Fortress 2
no

1)It doesn't matter if you are a ordinary guy who's never used a gun in your life before. You will have perfect accuracy with that pistol/handcannon/alien ray gun. The recoil of firing that Desert Eagle/Automag/other hand cannon will NOT snap your tiny baby hands, and can be fired at the same rate as the normal pistol in that game. You magically know how to operate a gun if you are a protagonist of a video game. Unless its Deus Ex(first one only), System Shock, or Alpha Protocol. In those games you must invest points into using a gun.http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HandCannon

This is true for Portal, even though the ASHPD is pretty simple to operate.

Took me a while to figure out that Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device was ASHPD.

Arma is still pretty much alive, and the Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2 is going strong.

10)The AI only pays attention to the player. NPCs can be holding a gun openly, but the instant YOU pull one they realize you are the player and gang up on you.(Hitman series and Postal 2). In the Hitman series of videogames, NPCs can carry guns openly(as previously stated), go into restricted areas, and pretty
thats a bogus point
of course a strange man in a suit holding a gun in a restricted area is suspicious
even if he was disguised, if he was holding a gun that doesn't belong (ex: silent pistol in guard room with shotguns) it would arouse a lot of suspicion

Quake's shotgun was similarly long-ranged. It was a lot more like a rifle than anything.

One thing I noticed about videogames is that they are not real.

15 things you noticed about first person shooter + mario is a murderer dlc

One thing I noticed about videogames is that they are not real.

How can videogames be real if our eyes aren't real?

"Videogames" IE: FPS Games.

I own no games with anything you've listed.
Your generalization of "videogames" as a whole is the problem behind the entire genre.

I know another instance of the Sniper Pistol - the Heavy Battle Pistol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smxzuqm0LOw#t=23