Portal 2-like player indicator

Author Topic: Portal 2-like player indicator  (Read 1480 times)

In portal 2, you can show places where a player might need to go or interact with something. If someone could make a script which is bound to the middle mouse button doing this, that would be brilliant.

In portal 2, you can show places where a player might need to go or interact with something. If someone could make a script which is bound to the middle mouse button doing this, that would be brilliant.

good idea, but if a spammer joined a server with this...
it'd be hell on the entire server

good idea, but if a spammer joined a server with this...
it'd be hell on the entire server
10 sec delay then

10 sec delay then
then it gets annoying if you look at the wrong thing

then it gets annoying if you look at the wrong thing
It'd probably be best to have it be annoying than allow it to be spammed.

It'd probably be best to have it be annoying than allow it to be spammed.
true dat

Better idea; 3 second cool down, and can only be seen by people with build trust.
EDIT: Server preferences for cool down and trust level would be nice. RTB or /indicatorCooldown and /indicatedTrustLevel.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:01:56 PM by TristanLuigi »

and can only be seen by people with build trust.
impossible and stupid

better idea, timeout of 100ms and ban idiots who spam it

impossible and stupid

better idea, timeout of 100ms and ban idiots who spam it
Yeah, I guess without a client mod it would be really hard to pull off. But at least have some cooldown- 100ms seems a bit short. 1 second?

Yeah, I guess without a client mod it would be really hard to pull off. But at least have some cooldown- 100ms seems a bit short. 1 second?
It can just spawn a static shape or even just a simple model at the place they are looking at and play a default sound if it really needs one.
A 1-2 second cooldown sounds good, if a player is constantly doing it then you could just ban them anyway.

100ms should be enough for it to not cause lag. If someone is spamming it just ban them.

This would be neat, but impractical in a way. I'm assuming the most use that this would get would be on TDM style servers, but how could you stop the enemies from seeing it?

If someone modified the directional indicators of RSC, they could easily make something like this. It'd just require the client-sided component.

0.5 seconds I think would be good. Maybe a high-pitched sound of the robots can play when indicating stuff aswell?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:53:08 AM by Klocko² »