Author Topic: Please don't name your Add-Ons ambiguously.  (Read 1549 times)

When it comes to naming your add-ons, be as specific as possible. I'm not entirely innocent of this, but there are currently 3 add-ons:

Client_EnvironmentSaver
Client_FavEnvironments
Server_EnvironmentAutoLoader

with quite similar names. It's pretty confusing on which does what, so be sure to name your add-ons something that people will recognize. All of them do different things; one saves environments with .bls, one saves them to numbers, and the third reloads the last one used and there's another out there that saves environments to a list. This is bad.

Client_BLSEnvironmentLoader
Client_EnvironmentFavorites
Client_EnvironmentListSaver
Server_EnvironmentReloader

Notice how you can tell what they do from the title. Sure, they're more clunky, but unless you've got something like Slayer which corresponds to a very well known mod with a unique name, but it's a lot better than ambiguity. I took about a minute to come up with these and I think if you spend a little more time you can come up with even more names. I'm not saying you have to do this:

Client_NumericalEnvironmentSa vesOnWindow

But just keep this in mind.

What if I want a weapon that is called XCMSEF-AK18C17K48OAH SMG TYPE 693 MK XIV

That's not ambiguous rite???

ill never forget Weapon_Weapons.zip

Client_Somethingfortheserver

Chain ban incoming.

Chain ban incoming.
Why? It's actually relevant and it certainly isn't ban-able to joke around a bit.

I try to stick "DG" in there somewhere if I've seen something similar to my mod before.

Music_music
Addon_addon
brick_brick
Vehicle_vehicle
Script_script