Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 2335 times)

Hello! I recently downloaded Sublime Text 2.0.2 64x for Windows. I want to start my own scripts and to start I have downloaded The sublime text thingy, but I found this http://mysterycoconut.com/tsmate/ that is the "Torque Script bundle" and is for the sublime text thing. Is it an addon for it? Is it just more commands or something? What is this?

Thank you for helping.

Is it an addon for it? Is it just more commands or something?

Lol more commands? It is an add-on, and like all the other add-ons for Sublime text it allows you to view what you're coding in a different syntax and allows you to save different file types. I prefer to leave my Sublime text in the C# format, as that is the file type for most coding in the game.

I prefer to leave my Sublime text in the C# format, as that is the file type for most coding in the game.
It shares the file extension, but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with the actual language. All you'll get in a ton of reported syntax errors

It shares the file extension, but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with the actual language. All you'll get in a ton of reported syntax errors

So you're saying the syntax of C# and C++ isn't pretty much exactly alike?
C# builds on the syntax and semantics of C++, allowing C programmers to take advantage of .NET and the common language runtime.
Setting the syntax to C# won't give a ton of reported syntax errors, at least it never has for me.

C# and C++ are very different languages. Idk what you're smoking. They both have C-style syntax but that's like complaining that C and JavaScript have the same syntax.

I know they're different, but I still use mine in C# because the syntax are the same .-.
Quote from: microsoft.com
C# builds on the syntax and semantics of C++, allowing C programmers to take advantage of .NET and the common language runtime.

"Builds on" literally means different than. Programming in C# and programming in C++ is entirely different. I don't care what language you select on sublime text, if C# makes you happy then go for it, but C# and C++ don't have the same (or even really that similar) syntax.

This quote literally means nothing. It doesn't matter if C# was built on C ++ because TorqueScript is neither of these
And just because C# is "built on" C++ doesn't mean it's the same. If you actually had any experience with them, instead of just pasting random quotes you find, you'd know they're very different.

because the syntax are the same .-.
No, they're not

Setting the syntax to C# won't give a ton of reported syntax errors, at least it never has for me.
Here's a small snippet of a default add-on (player_persistance) opened in Visual Studio

Do you see all the red squiggles there? That's all the syntax errors it's trying to tell me are their, because I'm using syntax highlighting for a completely different language. (I'm also using a full IDE with a ton of features i don't need, but that's irrelevant to this issue) Every single $ in string comparison and global variables, every single @ for string concatenation. If it was pickier, it could complain about every single % for local variables
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:47:29 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

In terms of what syntax sublime highlights it's all the same, except you get different colours. And C++/Torque highlight things like getSubStr, where C# will highlight string. I'm talking about in terms of Sublime text, in reference to OP.

Sorry to interrupt your argument but how do I install the TorqueScript.zip to the sublime text? Sorry if this is wrong or confusing, I'm really new to scripting and it looks really complicating but I want to learn it very desperately. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:22:59 PM by Naked Human »

open up the sublime text folder
find the folder labeled either "Pristine Packages" or "Packages"
drag the TorqueScript.zip in to there
open up sublime text
in the bottom right, click on the thing that probably says either "Plain Text" or "C#"
choose "TorqueScript" from the list

What OS are you on? If it's windows, open up explorer, and put in
C:\Users\-username-\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Packages\User
And unzip it in there.

Thanks for the replies. I have installed it now.

Locking.