Author Topic: Dglider's Brick-making Service.  (Read 2636 times)

I agree with heed with this, three dollars for something that may only take 15 minutes is a bit ridiculous.
If something takes 0.25 hours it costs 0.25*$3.00, so 75 cents.  Paypal takes 32 cents(0.30+0.75*0.029) of that leaving me with 43 cents.

*Walks into store*
*Wants to buy candy*
*Is charged based on how long it took for the transaction to finish*
I don't see how that's related.  I'd be charging for the time and resources it took to make the candy, not for how long it takes for me to fiddle around with your coins. :\

I can see your point.  But I don't yet know how long each brick takes to make.  I can add in those figures later but for now it's a price for time spent.

As far as difficulty goes I'd rather not charge for that.  Seems silly to me.

As far as difficulty goes I'd rather not charge for that.  Seems silly to me.
it isn't silly. you said it yourself that harder bricks take longer to make, and therefore it winds up costing more. it's basically just taking your shady, crappy hours system and solidifying it into a solid sort of deal. you assume a difficult brick takes 3 hours, so you charge for 3 hours instead of 'hoping' it takes 3 hours. the only "silly" thing here is the thought that you'd actually try to make a payment deal with someone before they even know what it costs.

there's not a single legit service that i've seen run like this. even other similar request services i've seen/used had a flat price, or a price negotiated BEFORE work starts.
I don't see how that's related.  I'd be charging for the time and resources it took to make the candy, not for how long it takes for me to fiddle around with your coins. :\
here how about I put things into a more reasonable perspective. this girl offers a similar service, except with sheet music. there's a flat price, regardless of the song difficult or "hours POSSIBLY spent" working on it. you add 10 to the price for songs over 8 minutes. if you want the sheet music fully arranged and playable, it costs more than just having the song done. now imaging if she charged per hour spent working on a song (she even stated herself that they can take a long time to make). prices would be completely unreasonable and she'd just be able to say "oh sorry it took a LONG time i'm going to have to charge you more!!". then would arise the problems of "oh well I doubt you worked THAT hard you're just trying to make us pay more!" and "oh I DID work hard you have to trust me!!".

having flat rates makes sense, or at least have a scale that can be determined before work actually starts. Say someone wanted a pyramid brick. You'd factor in the detail of the brick, collision mesh, grid build-ability, texture complexity, and script extent, then come up with a breakdown and explain why it costs that much and how long it might take. That's what a legit service would do. You don't just hope it doesn't take long and charge extra if it does.

As far as difficulty goes I'd rather not charge for that.  Seems silly to me.
What you're doing right now is silly to everyone else. It may be silly to you, but it makes sense to everyone.

$0.50 per standard brick
$1 per modeled brick (model provided)
$3 per modeled/textured brick

to be completely honest i would not pay money for a brick
it's extremely easy to package, and lots of users are willing to model basics shapes for free

if its something like a gun model, it's more understandable

it isn't silly. you said it yourself that harder bricks take longer to make, and therefore it winds up costing more. it's basically just taking your shady, crappy hours system and solidifying it into a solid sort of deal. you assume a difficult brick takes 3 hours, so you charge for 3 hours instead of 'hoping' it takes 3 hours. the only "silly" thing here is the thought that you'd actually try to make a payment deal with someone before they even know what it costs.
There is no payment deal until the brick is finished.  The customer requests a brick, I make the brick, I tell them it's done, show pictures etc, and request payment, they send payment, I send the brick.  There is no reason for me to keep the brick once it's been paid for.  Any shady dealing would be quickly reported on the forums.

there's not a single legit service that i've seen run like this. even other similar request services i've seen/used had a flat price, or a price negotiated BEFORE work starts. here how about I put things into a more reasonable perspective. this girl offers a similar service, except with sheet music. there's a flat price, regardless of the song difficult or "hours POSSIBLY spent" working on it. you add 10 to the price for songs over 8 minutes. if you want the sheet music fully arranged and playable, it costs more than just having the song done. now imaging if she charged per hour spent working on a song (she even stated herself that they can take a long time to make). prices would be completely unreasonable and she'd just be able to say "oh sorry it took a LONG time i'm going to have to charge you more!!". then would arise the problems of "oh well I doubt you worked THAT hard you're just trying to make us pay more!" and "oh I DID work hard you have to trust me!!".
If the girl said that, I'm sure I wouldn't buy from her again.  This isn't a big city where the customers just keep coming.  It's a relatively small community where word spreads fast.

having flat rates makes sense, or at least have a scale that can be determined before work actually starts. Say someone wanted a pyramid brick. You'd factor in the detail of the brick, collision mesh, grid build-ability, texture complexity, and script extent, then come up with a breakdown and explain why it costs that much and how long it might take. That's what a legit service would do. You don't just hope it doesn't take long and charge extra if it does.
Once I have enough experience to know how long it takes to make each type of brick I'll consider a flat rate payment system.

to be completely honest i would not pay money for a brick
it's extremely easy to package, and lots of users are willing to model basics shapes for free

if its something like a gun model, it's more understandable
That makes sense.  If it was something simple, and you were willing to work through all of the errors yourself, it would make sense to do it yourself.  Most people don't know jack about this type of thing though. :\

I don't mind paying per hour for teaching, but i'm not wasting money buying a brick.

I don't mind paying per hour for teaching, but i'm not wasting money buying a brick.

The teaching seems reasonable, and I might even sign up if you lower the price a bit, but everything else is absurd.

-snip-
Looks like you didnt comprehend a single word he just said.

Ok, so to summarize.

tails thinks its too expensive(either that or he thinks it's too low, but I doubt that.)
fab got banned
toxicology said something probably just related to fab
sir dooble thinks the pricing system is weird, and is concerned about the legitimacy of the service
I'm unsure if Furdle was being positive or sarcastic
I attempted to clarify exactly how the service would work, and why the pricing would remain the way it is
Dre5567 doesn't understand that paying per hour usually means paying per hour of work.
heedicalking doesn't like the prices and is concerned over the legitimacy of the service
Pah1023 doesn't agree with the pricing system, or understand it.
cassord thinks it's a scam
Subpixel thinks the bricks are sub-par
sir dooble still doesn't like the pricing system
Aduioa doesn't understand why he should pay for someone's time
JakeBlade doesn't understand why he should pay for someone's time
Renderman posted something related to fab getting banned
I attempted to clarify how paying by the hour works, what you pay for when buying things in general, and attempted to give legitimacy to sir dooble's concerns, since he seems to think things through more than others.
heedicalking still doesn't like the pricing and doesn't think the service is legitimate
TristanLuigi doesn't like the pricing.
McZealot doesn't want to pay for bricks <--first legitimately expressed concern.
Ducky duck wouldn't buy the bricks, but would buy the teachings
Daswiruch is the same
Bomb Kirby is the same.
Aduioa thinks the op is stupid.

All of this has been noted.  If anyone has questions on how this service works please feel free to ask them.

So people aren't paying for the service and give you suggestions on a more reasonable type of system, which is completely logical, and you 'note' them, but basically bitch slap their posts with replies of saying that the service is fine and they don't understand?
I can see this service going very far. I was excited about this service, until I saw your attitude toward constructive criticism and suggestions. You try and act professional but I'm not buying it, you just don't want to change.

It's bullstuff how for a low priority brick you charge 3 bucks every hour despite the fact that you're probably not working on it.

So people aren't paying for the service and give you suggestions on a more reasonable type of system, which is completely logical, and you 'note' them, but basically bitch slap their posts with replies of saying that the service is fine and they don't understand?
I can see this service going very far. I was excited about this service, until I saw your attitude toward constructive criticism and suggestions. You try and act professional but I'm not buying it, you just don't want to change.
Exactly this. If I pay for a haircut, I'm not charged for how long it takes. That would be stupid. I'm charged $10 per haircut, no questions asked. Is this a hard concept? No. Both you and the haircut place are charging for a service with negligible resource cost. The only thing used is time. So why should they be treated differently.?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:45:52 PM by TristanLuigi »

Aight I've decided on the things I'm going to change and I'll be posting an updated thread tomorrow.  Locking this until then.