Author Topic: Doors, Buttons, and Levers! (submit your ideas)  (Read 5371 times)

A larger and thicker blast door for a bunker might be good. Also, it'd like to see a throttle level for a plane(preferably widebody airplanes) in blockland (just the issue that no one has made a large plane even though I plan to never).

It'd also be nice to have a version of the last brick on that image but it says "ON" on top and "OFF" on the bottom.

Is Trader your buttbuddy or something? The only issue I have with the blb doors is that the support is kinda ridiculous on how it does it. You can't change the sounds (it should've had onDoorOpen/onDoorClose playsound events for that instead). That'd be about it.
No. I just prefer doors that have an animation, was never a fan of those doors that simply teleport open. That said, the default doors also have their advantages - for example they have collision when open and you can actually click the door to close it.

But let's point out what's wrong with default doors:
- No customization. All you can do is open/close the door and nothing else.
- Completely ew and unfitting click sound every time you open/close a door that cannot be removed.
- No animations.
- They are 6 bricks high because of the frame. I would rather have 5x high doors without the frame.

- No customization. All you can do is open/close the door and nothing else.
Because every other feature in JVS was completely pointless.
- Completely ew and unfitting click sound every time you open/close a door that cannot be removed.
Better than the JVS sounds
- No animations.
That's a dumb argument. Animation doesn't make something cooler. The L4D2 weapons pack has animations, but that doesn't make them better than Tier Tactical.
- They are 6 bricks high because of the frame.
So it enforces high ceilings. How many people do you know that sit in chairs with their hands over their head?

It seems you worship JVS entirely for cosmetic reasons and are completely ignoring the technical issues they cause. Here's a rundown if you missed what's been said:
  • .dts files are buggy and spam your console with errors
  • In general uses up more datablocks than .blb
  • Every JVS door placed increases the loading time for every single brick on the server
  • Unnecessary radius search every time you open a door
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:20:08 PM by the hacker »

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=226366.0
You will no longer get a prize but the things in here would still be nice. Also for the sliding doors could you make the ccw position the doors being stuck in a jammed state. In the topic as well the original idea was for all of them to stay 5 high for porting old spaceship saves but make it 6 bricks now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:29:24 PM by Bester Bageler »

yo give me some of your drugs i want in on that

.dts files are buggy and spam your console with errors
No they don't. You're clearly doing something wrong.
In general uses up more datablocks than .blb
So what. You got 4092 datablocks to fill.
Every JVS door placed increases the loading time for every single brick on the server
Nonsense.
Unnecessary radius search every time you open a door
Because you totally can't disable that

Because every other feature in JVS was completely pointless.
Better than the JVS sounds
That's a dumb argument. Animation doesn't make something cooler. The L4D2 weapons pack has animations, but that doesn't make them better than Tier Tactical.
So it enforces high ceilings. How many people do you know that sit in chairs with their hands over their head?

It seems you worship JVS entirely for cosmetic reasons and are completely ignoring the technical issues they cause. Here's a rundown if you missed what's been said:
  • In general uses up more datablocks than .blb
  • Every JVS door placed increases the loading time for every single brick on the server
  • Unnecessary radius search every time you open a door

No. I just prefer doors that have an animation, was never a fan of those doors that simply teleport open. That said, the default doors also have their advantages - for example they have collision when open and you can actually click the door to close it.

But let's point out what's wrong with default doors:
- No customization. All you can do is open/close the door and nothing else. This is actually completely false and can be done with VCE entirely. The only difference is that:
- Completely ew and unfitting click sound every time you open/close a door that cannot be removed. I completely agree with you on this. Someone should at least make a separate support which will split the playing sound from that. In fact I think I will go make a topic about this in Suggestions & Requests in case anyone will stumble over it and decide to do it.
- No animations. Call me handicapped but this is subjective. I think they look better without animations. If you think they look better with animations, ok.
- They are 6 bricks high because of the frame. I would rather have 5x high doors without the frame. So it enforces not making itsy bitsy tiny builds. I don't see the issue.

Additionally:
-Having a metric ton of JVS doors is a lot more performance-impacting than default doors (for obvious format reasons).
-None of the JVS doors are done in the Blockland style. The default doors are more fitting.
!I am not sure why everyone complains about frames because as far as I know every loving door in the world requires a frame. Except the sci-fi ones I guess.
/This is a minor issue, but .dts doors ghost before any other bricks in the server.
/Initially clogged with events. I think I may be wrong at this one as I think Badspot's JVS fix reduced the amount of events. However, with that, your "customization".
!Previously, .dts prop bricks were made with the system yet they were flamed, and everyone claimed it was a stupid prop system. Interestingly enough, no one had issue with JVS at the time.

To your side, the only argument I could add is that JVS currently has more variety. I barely seen anyone do anything for the door system except my doors and someone who made diagonal doors (DGlider).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:31:32 AM by LeetZero »

As for the seemingly hated sounds the default doors make (for those who do not know) the sounds are inside the Support_Doors addon, and
therefore you can't do much else than remove that part of the addon. I have removed the function that does this in my own addon-file, but I don't know if Blockland will automatically rewrite it.

I guess maybe if you want those sounds gone really badly you could just go inside the addon, inside the Doors.cs and remove those 3 lines of code that play the sound, then make the zip-file read-only.

But imo the doors are quite worse when they don't play any sounds, even worse when a door-sound is played (since the opening door is not animated), the door opens before the sound is even done playing.

Really, do what you want with the Support_Doors to fix it if you want. (just don't break anything)

As for the seemingly hated sounds the default doors make (for those who do not know) the sounds are inside the Support_Doors addon, and
therefore you can't do much else than remove that part of the addon. I have removed the function that does this in my own addon-file, but I don't know if Blockland will automatically rewrite it.

I guess maybe if you want those sounds gone really badly you could just go inside the addon, inside the Doors.cs and remove those 3 lines of code that play the sound, then make the zip-file read-only.

But imo the doors are quite worse when they don't play any sounds, even worse when a door-sound is played (since the opening door is not animated), the door opens before the sound is even done playing.

Really, do what you want with the Support_Doors to fix it if you want. (just don't break anything)

The whole deal could just remove the sound-making part of the script and add a script that any made doors will automatically have something like onDoorOpen self playsound dooropen.wav or something, I am not sure the actual name of the sounds, but in that method. To it's credit, the way JVS has done it. I think it's related to every .blb aside though.

Huh? You guys are having trouble with making custom sounds for doors?
I had to add custom events to the shoji door I made. I'll share some code with you.
Code: [Select]
// shoji door datablocks

datablock fxDTSBrickData ( brickDoorShojiOpenCWData )
{
brickFile = "./shojiDoor_OpenCW.blb";
uiName = "Shoji Door";

isDoor = 1;
isOpen = 1;
noBrickSounds = 1;
skipDoorEvents = 1;

closedCW = "brickDoorShojiData";
openCW = "brickDoorShojiOpenCWData";

closedCCW = "brickDoorShojiData";
openCCW = "brickDoorShojiOpenCCWData";

orientationFix = 1;
};

datablock fxDTSBrickData ( brickDoorShojiOpenCCWData : brickDoorShojiOpenCWData )
{
brickFile = "./shojiDoor_openCCW.blb";
isOpen = 1;
};

datablock fxDTSBrickData ( brickDoorShojiData : brickDoorShojiOpenCWData )
{
brickFile = "./shojiDoor.blb";

category = "special";
subCategory = "Doors";
iconName = "";

isOpen = 0;
};

package shojiDoorPackage {
function fxDTSBrick::onPlant( %obj )
{
%data = %obj.getDataBlock();
if( %data.isDoor && %data.uiName $= "Shoji Door" )
{
%obj.eventDelay0 = 0;
%obj.eventEnabled0 = 1;
%obj.eventInput0 = "onActivate";
%obj.eventInputIdx0 = inputEvent_GetInputEventIdx( "onActivate" );
%obj.eventOutput0 = "door";
%obj.eventOutputAppendClient0 = 1;
%obj.eventOutputIdx0 = outputEvent_GetOutputEventIdx( "fxDTSBrick","door" );
%obj.eventOutputParameter0_1 = 0;
%obj.eventTarget0 = "Self";
%obj.eventTargetIdx0 = 0;

%obj.eventDelay1 = 0;
%obj.eventEnabled1 = 1;
%obj.eventInput1 = "onDoorOpen";
%obj.eventInputIdx1 = inputEvent_GetInputEventIdx( "onDoorOpen" );
%obj.eventOutput1 = "playSound";
%obj.eventOutputAppendClient1 = "1";
%obj.eventOutputIdx1 = outputEvent_GetOutputEventIdx( "fxDTSBrick","playSound" );
%obj.eventOutputParameter1_1 = shojiDoorOpenSound.getID();//Change this one for opening door
%obj.eventTarget1 = "Self";
%obj.eventTargetIdx1 = "0";

%obj.eventDelay2 = 0;
%obj.eventEnabled2 = 1;
%obj.eventInput2 = "onDoorClose";
%obj.eventInputIdx2 = inputEvent_GetInputEventIdx( "onDoorClose" );
%obj.eventOutput2 = "playSound";
%obj.eventOutputAppendClient2 = "1";
%obj.eventOutputIdx2 = outputEvent_GetOutputEventIdx( "fxDTSBrick","playSound" );
%obj.eventOutputParameter2_1 = shojiDoorOpenSound.getID();//Change this one for closing door
%obj.eventTarget2 = "Self";
%obj.eventTargetIdx2 = "0";

%obj.numEvents = 3;
}
parent::onPlant( %obj );
}
};
activatePackage(shojiDoorPackage);

Make a button like this.

Obviously not all worn down and the button is a 1x1

snip

However, does that disable the integrated sounds from Support_Doors from activating? I kind of doubt that.

Make a button like this.

Obviously not all worn down and the button is a 1x1
ooo, yes
this would be real nice