Author Topic: Updated Terrain Generator [Video Added]  (Read 13862 times)

Actually, that shouldn't be hard at all to add. I'll try to include an option for having height-values at the edge of the terrain snap to zero.

Do you need anybody for coding/GUI work? I volunteer.

Also, how does saving/loading work?

Actually, that shouldn't be hard at all to add. I'll try to include an option for having height-values at the edge of the terrain snap to zero.
swag

I loving love you ghost pls release

Do you need anybody for coding/GUI work? I volunteer.

Also, how does saving/loading work?
That would be great. For saving and loading chunks, it checks if chunks are "edited" during the culling routine (which is when chunks that are a certain distance from all players in the server are removed). If they are not edited, it just deletes the bricks, and then the simset. If they are edited, it saves bricks to a custom format as they are being deleted; the format is much like the .blb format, but doesn't take into account saving / converting colorsets or converting between UInames and datablock names (I thought that would be faster, since chunks can be saved and loaded quite often). For now, chunks simsets are given a method labeling them as being edited if a player plants a block within that chunk (based on snapping the brick's coordinates to the relative chunk's coordinates). I would also like to include periodic autosaving for chunks, instead of just saving when they are removed.

I may need help with the GUI eventually, but for now I could certainly use help with packaging functions for setting the chunks to edited (like for painting, apply settings with the wrench, hammering and wanding terrain bricks), as well as for finalizing the multiplayer scripts (chunks can take awhile to catch up as players explore the terrain, but if I set them to generate too fast then it may cause too much server-lag).

I love you ghost pls release
I'll try to release it soon lol, still got quite a bit to do thought.

Bump. Has this been released yet?

Bump. Has this been released yet?
srs release plz
It hasn't been released yet sorry, it'll still take awhile. The last thing I was working on was including a delay for the noise scripts so that they run much smoother. But, it got really complicated, so I'm taking a break for now. I do still plan on finishing it though, hopefully within about two months time.

instead of saving all the bricks in a modified chunk, why not just save the modifications?
probably a bit more space efficient, but take slightly longer to process

I thought about that; it would be a good idea if only a few bricks were modified, but it's a lot easier to set it up to just save all bricks within each chunk. It's also faster to load it that way, instead of running the noise algorithms again and then applying the changes after.

Bump; video added to the OP! Terrain generation can be sped up or slowed down depending on the settings you use; I increased it slightly since releasing the video. It shows how terrain is generated and culled around you as you explore, and how you can change the chunk radius per player (there are separate radius settings for normal players and super-admins). I'll include more videos later showing how details, water, solid ground, and other features are generated as well, including chunk saving / loading, so please consider subscribing!

lovey

so what i understand is that if you were to build in one of these "chunks" it wont be cleared if you were to walk away from it?

Thanks, and yes that's correct.

There are actually various options for chunks, one of which is whether to allow saving and loading of bricks within a chunk if "edited". The saving / loading system is pretty much done; it works very similar to the .blb format (such as supporting various brick types and wrench settings). The only thing left to finish is loading of events, which is already working to some extent. You can also toggle setting certain chunks to "static" via a server command, which will prevent that specific chunk of bricks from being removed during the culling routine.

If this will have a version with modter ramps I'll be sold.