Fishing Skill in Any MMO

Author Topic: Fishing Skill in Any MMO  (Read 1746 times)

If you guys had to design a way to make fishing fun in an MMO, for example, how would you go about it?

Most games currently have the simple design of "Use Fishing Ability" then "Wait for your fishing rod to budge".  You then get a randomized fish from whatever water you're fishing in.

Some games that have done something semi-unique are Animal Crossing with the visible fish in the water, and Torchlight with the percentage bubble thing... however, these don't work for a massively online game.

Anyone have ideas?

here's my idea

your rod is outfitted with a mortar that blasts shrapnel at the fish as they fly out of the air. the more effectively you gib the seabass, the higher your chance of extracting the rare "golden gill" and exchanging that with three gold coins at the witches' cabin

Make it so that you have to continually mash a key or mouse button to pull the fish out of the water. Bigger / more valuable fish are harder to get out.

not joking though, what's the point of a fishing skill? personally, i think a survivalist skill that encompasses such skills as fishing and hunting and refuge is more sensible

instead of waiting for a random number generator to predict whether you caught a fish or not

incorporate advanced motion and idk use the mouse to move the rod's line, bring it up to tug on it, LAUNCH it up to bring fish out of the water
it's like the 3DS's AR fishing

The fishing from Pirates Online.

Literally have fish swimming around and you have to move the line around to get them. Bigger bait will attract more and if you throw the line in the water hard enough it'll scare the fish. Also, movement is meant to be little and etc.

And like Camel's, once you have your Fishing Skill at 200 (the rank achieved by getting 2x the regular amount of XP necessary for other skills), you get a bait that will self destruct upon detecting a large fish presence, like a fish pipebomb. It kills all the fish in a certain radius, which is large. If you're in a small enough lake it will make all of the fish float up dead to the water and even sometimes kill those around, so the line should be long and done from a distance. If you're in a large lake all the other fish will be scared away and scatter more over an extended time and also not fall for your trick for a certain amount of time...

avoid runescape's fishing skill completely

As long as I can fish boots and random non fish things out of the water I'm happy lol

screw fishing rods, just punch the fish when they jump out of the water
and like hard enough that they land in rows of various sushi plates
the more stars you get from sushi critics = more EXP

screw fishing rods, just punch the fish when they jump out of the water
and like hard enough that they land in rows of various sushi plates
the more stars you get from sushi critics = more EXP
here's what i'm thinking- why punch the fish? let's open the fish market to a whole range of martial art techniques. there's nothing more satisfying then going from Muay Thai to Thai food

denpa men has a cool thing in which when you snag a fish a bar pops up and basically what happens is in a way you fight the fish until its health is depleted, being careful not to make the line snap
i think it could have been done better but perhaps you could do something like that
you level up your fishing skill and this makes it so then you deal more damage to the fish's uhh
willingness to get caught

or maybe what you could do is get in there and suplex the fish yourself

i got it

fencing a swordfish