Author Topic: What would you like to see in a Blockland Horror Map?  (Read 3685 times)

I'm currently bored with the current projects I have sitting around, and this would be a neat thing to do.

However, what I find scary is a lot different than what you find scary.

So forums, what would you find scary, creepy, or just unsettling in this game. Dark environment is preloaded and ready to go. ;3

Current Suggestions
  • No reliance on Jump Scares
  • Shady figure, that you're never sure if you saw or not
  • Ambient sounds!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:54:36 PM by Jubel »

Make it actually creepy and don't put jumpscares in

What would your scary thing be?
Like, a monster hunting you, or just creepy things going on?

If a monster, then you can easily have bots set up to be the monster who appears and runs across hallways in the dark, just barely in view, before disappearing. Making players guess at whether they've actually seen something or just seeing things.

Let Emo Freak (Tenshi) join the server  :cookieMonster:

What would your scary thing be?
Dark, lankey, thin corridors.
And while not many people find the Renderman add-on all that brilliant, with a proper map, it sure can be frightening, especially when it peers at you from the corner and disappears without word.

I would love to make a map based around its functionality that is purpose built, and put in more ominous, and less sharp sounds, so you don't know if what you're hearing is happening because of the map, or because of this creepy dude trying to find you.

I would also remove the big smile, and just replace it with the default BL face so it would just be a completely shadowy figure.

If you're going for horror, do something more than jump scares.

If you're going for horror, do something more than jump scares.
I do like to believe the environment should be the centrepiece over all.
While jumpscares are very nice for shocking a person whos heartrate is already way above the norm, a spoopy environment that always keeps you wondering (and staring blankly into their screen crying) can do well more than any sort of scare.

Please please please please please PLEASE have creepy ambient noise/music.
I'm sure you can find a simple loop off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNDiPhVVrZ8
You will go no where without it.

Also, would people find a non-threatening environment (As in, you can't die),
or something that can kill you more creepy.

I think you need to do some scripting to make this map good.

I think you need to do some scripting to make this map good.
Wow really?

Jump scares are what make a game scary, in combination with ambience. Take for example SCP Containment Breach.

this:

Chrisbot6's server he hosted was a good example.
I'd say rely on ambience and immersion, rather than cheap jumpscares.
Why do you think Amnesia is so scary?

Hectic music that plays when a monster spots you, like in outlast.