Poll

-unused-

Sieg Kaiser
23 (63.9%)
Die Kaiser
13 (36.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: StarMade - On the long road to Beta!  (Read 94348 times)

I don't know about the testers or whatever, but schema himself is pretty cool. Had a problem with the game not starting (still not fixed, but it's probably because my pc is too stuff to run starmade) and he helped me try to fix it through an email convo.

I don't know about the testers or whatever, but schema himself is pretty cool. Had a problem with the game not starting (still not fixed, but it's probably because my pc is too stuff to run starmade) and he helped me try to fix it through an email convo.
Schema's the absolute best.

The old forum you're accustomed to is gone. We use a new forum now.

Today is Schema's Birthday guys!

rip the magileine

STOCKIN

TExt ME GRL

i cant be seen texting civilians

wo what those planets are hella cool

Schema's the absolute best.

on that note is there some sort of ultra-hax way to somehow get the shaders required to run the game running

I mean I know there's that thing called swiftshader which doesn't usually work that well anyway but I don't think it works for starmade anyway
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:07:01 PM by Tudoreleu »

I pretty much have the largest yellow ship in the galaxy now

The SunDog is spanning 4 planet discs wide and 8 planets long now. Will add more later. It can flyyyyy...sorta.

rip the magileine

i cant be seen texting civilians
mag would suck now anyways :v

on that note is there some sort of ultra-hax way to somehow get the shaders required to run the game running

I mean I know there's that thing called swiftshader which doesn't usually work that well anyway but I don't think it works for starmade anyway
If you have an Intel HD gpu there is no way your computer will be able to run starmade, period.

As of late Starmade has had a lot of really annoying bugs. This is to be expected of course as after the game is in alpha. But the problem is that the only "allowed" method for reporting bugs is to use the frustratingly-perfectionist bug tracker website. The entire community, from the young 8-year-olds to the people with crappy internet software- are expected to use this site to report bugs. Its low ease-of-access limits the ability of many players who are having big bugs to report them. So, as a result, there are a lot of major issues out there that are not getting fixed, like this big bug with missiles distorting the chunks on turrets and damaging blocks on their own entities: https://i.imgur.com/qOWLIRJ.png

Now to the dev teams credit, the bug tracker DOES get the job done efficiently and is easy for Schema to use, but for everyone else, especially the testers who have to write the reports, its a big hassle.

I actually quit the tester team a month ago because AndyP (the new head tester guy who honestly appeared the heck out of nowhere as schema's right-hand-man a few months ago, and literally doesnt even know the community) and his self-made bug tracker system are so dang confusing and tedious that I simply could not tolerate having to spend 5+ hours a day working for free on a game that was getting progress done at such a slow rate.
So instead what i've been doing is telling other testers who I am very good friends with, like Warsong, Pholopalus, Calbiri and Titansmasher, about these bugs that I am getting, because its a heck of a lot easier than using the bug tracker, and they usually listen to what I say and pass it on to schema themselves and it gets fixed.

But when DukeOfRealms- one of the head devs who is the brilliant man that took 6 months just to put together the new forum- found out about my bug reporting methods this evening, I ended up having this very lovely conversation over Skype with him:
[12:53:03 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): Can you please leave my fellow team members alone, we appreciate you sending in bug reports but private messages are not the place to do it. I'd prefer if you left your personal feuds with others away from the situation and perform in a professional manner, like I know you can do.
[12:53:34 AM] Planr: Oh my god
[12:53:35 AM] Planr: You
[12:53:41 AM] Planr: have got to be kidding me
[12:53:42 AM] Planr: duke
[12:53:51 AM] Planr: I just want these bugs fixed
[12:54:11 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): http://bugs.star-made.org/
[12:54:35 AM] Planr: what are these personal feuds you speak of? what i say to other testers about such matters is frankly none of your business
[12:54:45 AM] Planr: i hate using that damn tracker
[12:55:04 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): http://starmadedock.net/forums/gamesupport/
[12:55:07 AM] Planr: it takes me like 30 minutes to write a freaking report and then half the time it gets rejected as "not happening"
[12:55:23 AM] Planr: because apparently nobody can ever reproduce it
[12:56:43 AM] Planr: also I was unaware telling people about bugs was such a crime. I suppose then you'd feel better if i simply never mentioned anything about bugs at all so that nobody knows and they never get fixed?
[12:57:44 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): Never said that, sending in bug reports to a member of the staff team when told to use other methods is annoying. We don't want to have to block you from our accounts.
[12:58:05 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): We get reports to us all the time, and it is overwhelming to keep track of.
[12:58:25 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): Plus we prefer to keep accounts like this more personal.
[12:58:25 AM] Planr: then recruit more people to help handle the load
[12:58:36 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): Which is what is happening now.
[12:58:42 AM] Planr: then what's the problem
[12:58:54 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): Your problem, not ours.
[12:59:09 AM] Planr: um, excuse me?
[12:59:45 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): I'm not sure what your problem is.
[1:00:09 AM] Planr: because I don't have one??? i don't see what you're being so condescending about
[1:00:40 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): [12:58 AM] Planr:

<<< then what's the problemIf we don't have a problem and you don't have a problem then why did you ask?
[1:00:59 AM] Planr: you said i had a problem
[1:01:12 AM | Edited 1:01:26 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): If you're not satisfied, fine. We can't please everyone.
[1:02:13 AM] Planr: i realize that
[1:03:13 AM] Planr: fine, i'll be sure to not tell anyone when i get bugs
[1:03:34 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): [12:52 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms):

<<<  we appreciate you sending in bug reports
[1:03:44 AM] Planr: which i already explained i'm not going to do
[1:03:47 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): If that is how you want to go about it, it is your choice.
[1:04:29 AM] Planr: the bug tracker is a pain in the ass; i quit being a tester because of it
[1:05:08 AM | Edited 1:05:23 AM] Planr: its rather insulting for me to spend 5+ hours a day testing dev builds, working my ass off for free, then get half the reports i send in moved to the "rejected" folder by andy
[1:06:08 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): I work for free as well, if you have a problem perhaps it is best for you to move on.
[1:06:18 AM] Planr: i have no problem
[1:06:27 AM] Planr: you're the one telling me what i can and cannot say to calbiri about bugs
[1:07:06 AM] Planr: i admire that you're that devoted to the game that you'd work for free
[1:07:11 AM] Planr: thats quite commendable
[1:07:59 AM] Planr: but dont hold me to the same standards as yourself or others please
[1:08:36 AM] Planr: if i want to pass on info about bugs, its totally cool, fine. calbiri and others are not forced to read everything i say to them
[1:09:25 AM] Planr: you really have no say in what i choose to talk about with other people
[1:09:29 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): I want you to report bugs, I also want to make you aware that it is likely they will be ignored.
[1:09:54 AM] Planr: well that's a rather backwards and ignorant attitude don't you think?
[1:10:03 AM] Planr: besides
[1:10:07 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): You can do what you wish, whatever you think about my request is your business.
[1:10:31 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): They will be ignored if you post them in the wrong places
[1:10:44 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): They won't be if you post them on the forums or bug tracker.
[1:10:57 AM] Planr: there is no bugs subforum on the forum though
[1:11:01 AM] Planr: if there was i'd be all over it
[1:11:14 AM] Planr: (facepalm)
[1:11:25 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): Game support is a place to post bugs
[1:11:38 AM] Planr: maybe the name should be changed to be less ambiguous
[1:11:55 AM] Planr: its name implies its meant for helping people with generally solveable technical issues
[1:11:59 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): You can request that to the forum team.
[1:12:09 AM] Planr: why not change it yourself?
[1:12:15 AM] Planr: seems way easier that way to me
[1:12:25 AM] Planr: after all you made this forum
[1:12:59 AM] Planr: oh wait
[1:13:02 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): Does not necessarily mean I run it anymore, it is something for them to deal with.
[1:13:35 AM] Planr: maybe we should both make a forum thread on it then
[1:13:39 AM] Planr: since neither of us are to blame
[1:13:47 AM] Planr: and neither of us are responsible
[1:14:16 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): A suggestion in http://starmadedock.net/forums/sitesupport/ will be fine
[1:14:48 AM] Planr: well i can see this is going nowhere
[1:14:59 AM] Planr: nice chatting with you. im gonna go to bed
[1:15:14 AM] Tai Coromandel (DukeofRealms): If you look, most suggestions have been implemented, others have been declined for valid reasons.
[1:15:34 AM] Planr: i dispute none of what you said except for "most"
[1:15:40 AM] Planr: anyways goodnight
After this happened he blocked my skype account and removed me from his contacts list.

tl;dr the starmade devs are incompetent, out of touch with the community, frustrating to deal with, and dont like to fix bugs unless you tell them about it their own narrow-minded way

/endrant
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:11:54 AM by Planr »

If you have an Intel HD gpu there is no way your computer will be able to run starmade, period.

nah mang ati radeon x550

Had a chat with Andy on Skype today about yesterday's drama happenings.
I found out he really isn't the nice guy I thought he was... It's rather unfortunate.
[8:20:05 PM] Planr: So you're convinced i'm a troll, Andy?
[8:22:27 PM] Planr: I'm curious who it was that snitched about me asking for help with bugs to Duke. He got pretty mad.
[8:25:33 PM] Planr: In all honesty, I agree with you on a lot of what you said in your reply. However, I said what I said, because I think that some of the devs are out of touch with the community and stubbornly difficult to work with. And because of my own personal frustrations with the bug tracker. Mostly dealing with the times you've rejected my reports (fyi im not talking about times i accidentaly duplicated an already-existing report)
[8:28:00 PM] Andy Püttmann: I do not know who told duke, if anyone really did.

No you are no troll,
but you put much effort in fighting against the tracker recently
[8:28:16 PM] Planr: Indeed I did fight about it
[8:28:18 PM] Andy Püttmann: but I understand you a bit
[8:28:30 PM] Planr: I wasnt intentionally trying to piss anyone off though
[8:28:54 PM] Planr: If people did get pissed off it was probably my own pissed-off-ness about bugs that I was projecting onto other people
[8:28:59 PM] Planr: Which isnt fun
[8:31:27 PM] Andy Püttmann: yes, sometimes it read quit offensive while chatting, but its okay so far,
I really put a whole other way of working with bugs in the game, and yes
this way is not suited for everyone,
but I personally think its the correct way, I may be wrong, but it really looks like its working out, and once we have enough testers to process the bugs, it will get much more stressless, as we are 15 people then, for 5 bugs daily, this would result
[8:31:38 PM] Andy Püttmann: in 1 bug every three days per tester ^^
[8:31:53 PM] Andy Püttmann: this would let me play a bit starmade instead of living only in dev builds
[8:32:06 PM] Andy Püttmann: and so will others
[8:32:42 PM] Andy Püttmann: but as I said, I dont really like to push people out, I have someone in trial
[8:32:59 PM] Andy Püttmann: really a bit like you, trying hard to help but really untamed
[8:33:24 PM] Andy Püttmann: but he is maybe a bit too young
[8:33:30 PM] Andy Püttmann: not sure how it will turn out
[8:34:57 PM] Andy Püttmann: lol, you may not think this is funny but explained him his style to work:
[8:36:11 PM] Andy Püttmann: swat team trainee -> hostage situation
he goes in,
kills everyone,
jumps out happily shouting:
suspects neutralized! yay yay!

all fine until the person in charge asks about the hostages...
[8:36:25 PM] Planr: LOL
[8:36:35 PM] Planr: that is pretty funny
[8:36:51 PM] Planr: that sounds like something straight out of a standup comedy routine
[8:37:02 PM] Planr: maybe its your hidden talent...
[8:37:17 PM] Planr: (bow)(clap)
[8:37:21 PM] Andy Püttmann: no it not, im too serious most of the time, lol
[8:37:29 PM] Andy Püttmann: and you should know that best :P
[8:38:34 PM] Planr: Why yes I do, Batman...
[8:38:46 PM] The Joker: Ehehehe!
[8:40:10 PM] Andy Püttmann: in fact:
you helped a lot with testing, I did see that, and I feel a bit sorry to see you on the other side
as you really put your hearth into the game
[8:40:49 PM] The Joker: I'll figure something out
[8:41:48 PM | Edited 8:42:01 PM] The Joker: Kinda like how I somehow break out of jail every time after the Batman catches me...
[8:43:54 PM] Andy Püttmann: hm,
I dont think you made it out of jail ^^°
but not really sure about the way this was meant
[8:44:10 PM] The Joker: you will see... muhahaha
[8:44:16 PM] Andy Püttmann: lol
[8:44:56 PM] Andy Püttmann: I expected that somehow
[8:48:50 PM] *** The Joker sent lolandybatman.png ***

[8:48:53 PM] The Joker: I knew it was you!
[8:49:36 PM] The Joker: We gotta make a meme image out of this convo
[8:50:00 PM] The Joker: Could you please printscreen our convo and send it to me
[8:50:11 PM] The Joker: I need a pic of my profile from your perspective
[8:51:04 PM] The Joker: Try it now
[8:52:00 PM] The Joker: I edited my info so it was more fitting
[8:55:28 PM] Andy Püttmann: I guess I have to realize,
no matter how many times I try to give you a chance, or to see positive points in this conversation,
but this leads to nothing but wasting time.

And I have family, to care about, a nice game to play, and really no time more time for you.
Editing the profile pic was just one last step, you shouldn't have done.

And as I know myself, I may think:
Oh no he maybe didnt mean it so bad, give him another chance

I should really see this from a neutral perspective, and this clearly says:
No, this will never work out.
[8:56:44 PM] The Joker: I don't understand
[8:57:45 PM] Planr: ...Why are you doing this?
[8:58:14 PM] Planr: I was trying to make the mood more lighthearted
[8:58:40 PM] Planr: It seemed like something that would help considering how tense you seem to be right now... I just dont get it
[8:59:12 PM] Andy Püttmann: It really reads like you made fun of me again, but it should really not go this way =)
[8:59:12 PM] Planr: I can understand that you're a serious person and that's fine... But... Why this?
[8:59:25 PM] Planr: Making fun of you?
[8:59:35 PM] Planr: Oh no come on... You think I'm trolling or something?
[8:59:46 PM] Planr: I don't troll people
[8:59:53 PM] Planr: I meant no offense with the image
[9:00:09 PM] Planr: I thought it would make for a rather funny joke that we could all enjoy
[9:00:46 PM] Planr: (facepalm)
[9:01:36 PM] Andy Püttmann: I guess our sense of fun is a bit too far away from each other to really work out good
[9:02:02 PM] Planr: I suppose my personality is something that is difficult for you to tolerate
[9:02:29 PM] Planr: I guess that's just too bad... Really, it is too bad.
[9:03:45 PM] Andy Püttmann: see, this was quite offensive, as I really think im tolerant to most people
[9:03:58 PM] Andy Püttmann: everyone gets a second, third and even more chances
[9:04:00 PM] Andy Püttmann: to prove
[9:04:25 PM] Planr: Oh, I meant no offense here, I really didn't.
[9:04:38 PM] Andy Püttmann: more than I should give, really had my self in trouble and wasting time, over and over again, due to this
[9:04:47 PM] Andy Püttmann: really should make a cut here
[9:04:58 PM] Andy Püttmann: and stop this nonsense of semi-fun things
[9:05:05 PM] Planr: (facepalm)
[9:05:11 PM] Planr: Andy come on
[9:05:45 PM] Andy Püttmann: in case you find bugs in the future:
feel free to report them to me, or any other full tester,
but im tired for now,
[9:06:25 PM] Planr: So I suppose the problem is that you are unable to get along with me.
[9:06:40 PM] Planr: And I don't mean that as an insult, it's a genuine observation.
[9:06:55 PM] Planr: You don't like me.
[9:07:58 PM] Planr: You don't like the kind of person I am; it bothers you that I make jokes all the time and try to find a way to make situations lighthearted
[9:09:15 PM] Planr: I can totally respect that you don't agree with my personality and the way I handle things, but you're really being quite rude right now.
[9:10:24 PM] Planr: Oh well
[9:10:30 PM] Planr: Hope you have a good evening.
[9:10:37 PM] Planr: It was nice talking to you

For the record, andy flipped his lid after I sent him the picture you see there in the chatlog. It's an edit of his skype avatar with batman masks added in. I also changed my skype avatar to this:

With this image, plus the one I sent him, I would make another starmade meme image, with us jokingly roleplaying as The Joker and Batman. Andy didn't take it very well though. My intention was to help lighten to mood so maybe he'd feel better, but it backfired and he got really pissed off. I don't mean this as insulting but, the guy really is way oversensitive.

just gonna take a few days and update the weapon systems on the magiliene

here's the first of the turrets we'll be rolling out. It's cannon with cannon support and explosive effect, so basically a an explosive turbolaser for taking down small craft.

Missiles are where its at yo

Missiles are where its at yo
but they move and reload so slowwwwwwwww

just gonna take a few days and update the weapon systems on the magiliene

-cute-

here's the first of the turrets we'll be rolling out. It's cannon with cannon support and explosive effect, so basically a an explosive turbolaser for taking down small craft.

it's stubby