3 (25%)
Red Hat/SUSE
0 (0%)
BSD (this includes Mac and iOS)
2 (16.7%)
Other
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: The UNIX Megathread -- New poll  (Read 18382 times)

KDE5 development preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_zJJfsGsA&feature=youtu.be

ohhhhhhhhh i want it so badly
oh stuff thats so cool i want it really bad

oh stuff thats so cool i want it really bad
Is there now a reason to dual boot Linux?
If so, I would recommend using Arch or Manjaro Net with KDE5

Bump. I found this really cool little script-thing to put in your bashrc that allows you to extract a whole bunch of different archive formats with a single command/alias/whateveritis.

Code: [Select]
extract ()
{
  if [ -f $1 ] ; then
    case $1 in
      *.tar.bz2)   tar xjf $1   ;;
      *.tar.gz)    tar xzf $1   ;;
      *.bz2)       bunzip2 $1   ;;
      *.rar)       unrar x $1     ;;
      *.gz)        gunzip $1    ;;
      *.tar)       tar xf $1    ;;
      *.tbz2)      tar xjf $1   ;;
      *.tgz)       tar xzf $1   ;;
      *.zip)       unzip $1     ;;
      *.Z)         uncompress $1;;
      *.7z)        7z x $1      ;;
    esac
  else
    echo "'$1' cannot be extracted."
  fi
}

This is great because now you don't have to remember a whole bunch of different commands for different file types.

Can someone tell me exactly Im supposed to activate my Dedicated GPU?
Im using Ubuntu 14.04 and tried installing via the Additional Drivers program but every time I reboot, either nothing changes or I forget up my system

Im using the latest driver version for my GPU, which is 340.24 for the GT 750M GPU

Can someone tell me exactly Im supposed to activate my Dedicated GPU?
Im using Ubuntu 14.04 and tried installing via the Additional Drivers program but every time I reboot, either nothing changes or I forget up my system

Im using the latest driver version for my GPU, which is 340.24 for the GT 750M GPU
Idk about specific hardware, but I do know that wrong drivers can really forget you up in Ubuntu.

I don't really like Ubuntu that much, and neither do most people in this thread. For good reason too. The dash menu is full of crap that canonical sold out to. It's really slow too. You should probably try something else. Give me your hardware specs so I can recommend an appropriate operating system for your situation.

Idk about specific hardware, but I do know that wrong drivers can really forget you up in Ubuntu.

I don't really like Ubuntu that much, and neither do most people in this thread. For good reason too. The dash menu is full of crap that canonical sold out to. It's really slow too. You should probably try something else. Give me your hardware specs so I can recommend an appropriate operating system for your situation.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/38dd85155d4iqdl/hardinfo_report.txt

Holy wow. That is better than what I have. And lol, Ubuntu 14.04 still uses the 3.13 kernel.

And wait a second, I noticed your hostname is EdiServer. Are you planning on using this as a server? You probably should not use a desktop operating system if that's the case.

If you are going to use this as a desktop computer, I would recommend Manjaro XFCE edition. I have this on one of my family's computers, and I've given it to a bunch of my friends who wanted to start with Linux. I used it for quite a while, so I know it really well. You can always ask me for help with this operating system. It's incredibly configurable, much more so than Ubuntu is by default. It should also run very quickly and efficiently on your hardware.

Holy wow. That is better than what I have. And lol, Ubuntu 14.04 still uses the 3.13 kernel.

And wait a second, I noticed your hostname is EdiServer. Are you planning on using this as a server? You probably should not use a desktop operating system if that's the case.

If you are going to use this as a desktop computer, I would recommend Manjaro XFCE edition. I have this on one of my family's computers, and I've given it to a bunch of my friends who wanted to start with Linux. I used it for quite a while, so I know it really well. You can always ask me for help with this operating system. It's incredibly configurable, much more so than Ubuntu is by default. It should also run very quickly and efficiently on your hardware.
Im planning to use it as a low-end web/file hosting service. nothing too major really

Ill give Manjaro XFCE a try

File hosting? Why not just use something online? You used mediafire to give me that text file.

Also, don't use Manjaro XFCE for a server. If I were you, I would use online storage and then use this computer as a desktop rather than a server. But if you must use it as a server, use a server operating system, such as Ubuntu server.
http://www.ubuntu.com/server
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:50:46 PM by blueblur121 »

File hosting? Why not just use something online? You used mediafire to give me that text file.

Also, don't use Manjaro XFCE for a server. If I were you, I would use online storage and then use this computer as a desktop rather than a server. But if you must use it as a server, use a server operating system, such as Ubuntu server.
http://www.ubuntu.com/server
The reason Im using it as a Server is because I would have more control over my content.

Okay, then you should use Ubuntu server and use SCP to transfer files between your computers.

EDIT: Just a warning though, just about all server operating systems are command line operating systems and require you to know how to use them properly before use. If you're just using it for file storage, I am willing to bet you could get away with using a desktop OS.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:57:24 PM by blueblur121 »

freebsd is an amazing OS. Used it for a month but had to abort it since I had no internet capabilities with my adapter

Isn't freebsd the super easy to use one? I prefer Linux, because it's a Unix-like OS like bsd, but it has more support.

Isn't freebsd the super easy to use one? I prefer Linux, because it's a Unix-like OS like bsd, but it has more support.

FreeBSD is really easy to learn, all you really need to do at start is rebuild the kernel with better resolution and I preferred different colors.

if i get my computer parts i'm gonna use xubuntu as a holder os until i can afford windows