Author Topic: Add-On Management Website / Service  (Read 1507 times)

Hi, quick question.
Is there an addon service besides the forums currently?  I understand that Steam is supposed to have some sort of workshop.. however, that doesn't seem to be too populated right now.  It would be really cool to see a website made (sort of like RTB) where users could submit their addons. 

The only downside I could see to that would be approval of addons.  Obviously the website administrators would have to check to see if it was packaged correctly, and followed basic rules that RTB followed. 

Any thoughts on this?

There are no such sites currently.

There are no such sites currently.

There was that one site where players could submit their builds.  If plenty addons were sent here, players wouldn't have to go searching through the finished Add-Ons section, (assuming people actually used the site to add their modifications..)

That site is for builds, not for add-ons.

That site is for builds, not for add-ons.

I understand, that's why I said it was for builds.  I was comparing the two.  If there was a system similar to that, users could submit their add-ons and have them approved, displayed on the new builds page, etc.

Well there is no such site currently, and a new one including an approval system and an automatic download manager in-game is not something to be written in a few afternoons.

Very true.  It would be nice to have another system like that however.  Maybe someday it will become an actual project.

The website portion wouldn't be too hard, but the in-game manager would be trickier.

Very true.  It would be nice to have another system like that however.  Maybe someday it will become an actual project.

The website portion wouldn't be too hard, but the in-game manager would be trickier.
The in-game downloader would be easy once you wrote a useful API on the server side. Port was actually working on something like this, called BAM, but it died.

The in-game downloader would be easy once you wrote a useful API on the server side. Port was actually working on something like this, called BAM, but it died.

Interesting, well Torquescript isn't my specialty, but if this actually became a project, I'm sure someone would help with the in-game scripting side.  It's a shame that Port's API wasn't completed, that would have made the implementation quite a lot easier.

I think Zapk created the build upload site (I may be wrong), perhaps you can work with him to make this a reality?

Try remaking this post in the "Add-Ons" section, not because im a complaining bitch, but because more addon experienced people look there, instead of here general discussion.

Try remaking this post in the "Add-Ons" section, not because im a complaining bitch, but because more addon experienced people look there, instead of here general discussion.
that's not the right board. add-ons is only for posting finished add-ons. and people who post add-ons are also likely to read here, and modification discussion would be the right one to post in if any other was going to be posted in in the first place. gg no re

OT: Good idea. I'm going to just imagine, with my very little knowledge about Torquescript, that this is easier said than done.

I'm going to just imagine, with my very little knowledge about Torquescript, that this is easier said than done.

It isn't a question of Torquescript, but rather php, html, things of that nature for a website. The scripting for downloading an add-on itself has been done quite a few times.

Yeah, like Thorfin said; it would be a lot of PHP,  MySQL, HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc.  Torquescript would be used for an in-game client download.  This is possible, but the question is whether it is worth it.

What about a service that will provide certificates to ensure the safety of add-ons and developers can choose to include this certificate. That way any add-on posted on any site can be approved.