Author Topic: [MS3D] Vehicle not Flatshaded Properly  (Read 5039 times)

Whenever I spawn my vehicle, some of its faces aren't flatshaded right. Faces that face the same direction should be the same color, but some aren't D:

Some other faces like the ones on the wings and on the engine seem to be flatshaded just fine, but not the ones on the body of the plane. All the LODs of the model are 16.

I tried many combinations and changes in steps and it still made no difference. Here's what I recently tried:

1. Select all faces to flatshade (every face except the collision mesh)
2. Check 'Auto Smooth'
3. Vertex > Unweld
4. Tools > Tile Texture Mapper > Cubic
5. Uncheck 'Auto Smooth'
6. Vertex > Weld Together

I've also tried using "Planar" instead of "Cubic" and unchecking auto smooth before using Tile texture mapper. Does anybody know how to fix this?

That's because the unweld-all method is a shoddy way of doing it. Select all of the faces you want the same color, and group them together. Repeat until everything is in a group, then smooth all.

That's because the unweld-all method is a shoddy way of doing it. Select all of the faces you want the same color, and group them together. Repeat until everything is in a group, then smooth all.
Sorry could you be more detailed?  What do you mean by group together? Also, by smooth all, do you mean use the method like before?

Sorry could you be more detailed?  What do you mean by group together? Also, by smooth all, do you mean use the method like before?

Select the faces you want to shade together, group them together, and repeat this process ad nauseam. Then, smooth all. There is no way to make this explanation any easier.

Select the faces you want to shade together, group them together, and repeat this process ad nauseam. Then, smooth all. There is no way to make this explanation any easier.

I did what you said and this is what I got.

By "group them together", did you mean select the groups then click 'regroup' or select them then assign them to a smoothing group? I tried both and got the same result. I regrouped them for each material, changed their names and LODs back to 16, then selected them all and clicked Face > Smooth All. After that didn't work I tried assigning each of the groups I made to a Smoothing Group, then doing Face > Smooth All. That gave me the same result.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:02:40 PM by Crysist »

By "group them together", did you mean select the groups then click 'regroup' or select them then assign them to a smoothing group? I tried both and got the same result. I regrouped them for each material, changed their names and LODs back to 16, then selected them all and clicked Face > Smooth All. After that didn't work I tried assigning each of the groups I made to a Smoothing Group, then doing Face > Smooth All. That gave me the same result.
Select the faces you want to shade together
What part about this is hard to understand? You don't just regroup the groups that already exist, you select the faces that you want to shade together. (Ones that should always have the same lightness or darkness.)

What part about this is hard to understand? You don't just regroup the groups that already exist, you select the faces that you want to shade together. (Ones that should always have the same lightness or darkness.)
Alright, I got it now. I didn't get that I had to make each flat surface into a separate plane.