Author Topic: The Vinyl Megathread - Anything and Everything to do with Vinyl Records  (Read 19020 times)

As long as it doesn't have built in speakers
Well it does. I got it for a gift for Christmas last year. I'm gonna pick up a more proper turntable when I move.

As long as it doesn't have built in speakers
Well it does. I got it for a gift for Christmas last year. I'm gonna pick up a more proper turntable when I move.

Edit
My records:
  • Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman
  • Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
  • Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
  • Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
  • Queen - A Day at the Races
  • Queen - Jazz
  • Yes - Fragile

My dad has the original Starwars soundtrack vinyl record.

my dad actually has a lot, but since we live in a christian family, most of the vinyl records are old christian bands, not any of the good stuff.

Best Star Wars record, ever

looks like i'm gonna end up getting lots of 7 inch vinyls tomorrow...

apparently they're like 25 cents each at half price books.

Just ordered these beauties

I don't have a turntable, but have a lot of vinyl. I'll try to compile a list tomorrow.

oh my god

this thread is so full of bullstuff that I can loving smell it emanating off my screen

i wasn't lying at all

will post god-tier record collection shortly, but in the mean time:

brian eno and david brynes album, everything that happens will happen today. one of the most ograsmic things my dad has ever let me have

-img-

got this today :)
i found out about these people recently. its not my usual type but i really like it surprisingly :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:08:55 AM by mod-man »

The whole sine wave/square wave/sampling thing is tempting, but I feel the "warmth" thing calling my name.

Warmth has nothing to do with sine or square waves, warmth in vinyl comes from the inherently high THD in the output of turntables, phono cartridges, and usually the preamps made for these rigs.  It causes a thickening of the sound, which people tend to find pleasing.  In particular, warmth is the thickening of the lower registers.  Personally, I want the most neutral and accurate reproduction possible, which goes hands down to digital.

PS. I'm not going to respond to anything else most likely, I don't want this to turn into a flame war, I just want at least some of the fallacies and hocus pocus surrounding vinyl cleared up.  Sound is a science, we have studied it extensively, and we know how it works, and why.  It's fine if you just like the way vinyl sounds, but it's not fine to believe it's objectively superior to digital, because that spectre has been objectively dispelled ages ago.

Though that might make you think I hate vinyl, I do own vinyl copies of several Skinny Puppy albums, most notably a sealed first pressing of Last Rights that's never getting opened. :P

Yea vinyl!! It's like I can hear the instruments falling down the stairs when I listen to anything except vinyls!

not

Yea vinyl!! It's like I can hear the instruments falling down the stairs when I listen to anything except vinyls!

not
I knew the OP sounded like bullstuff

I love vinyl, I got into it a few months ago and I definitely prefer it to digital, plus I love to get my favorite music in its original format.

I have a few 45s and a bunch of LPs, and I plan on continuing to build my collection.

Sadly, I made the mistake of getting this as a turntable

Im gonna save my money and try and get either a UTurn Orbit or just an old one from a thrift store.

Also, I happen to have a portable wind up gramophone from the 20s and the following 78s:
Dardanella/My Isle of Golden Dreams (1920, and it was a pretty popular one back then)
Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition/I Came Here to Talk for Joe (1943, got it off ebay)
Where is My Wandering Boy Tonight/Jesus Lover of My Soul (idk the year, 20s I think, and theres no videos of this version on youtube)
One other Victor record from the 20s that's cracked and unplayable
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:57:04 PM by Mr Man »