Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - In other news, 0.40.13 is now released.  (Read 28875 times)

so how do I get stonesense to work

Look up "Mastery Dwarf Fortress", it's a really good mod for the game IMO if anyone wants to mod it,

sidenote, I love the game, this just goes to show that graphics really dont make a game.

But they are a big portion.

But they are a big portion.
This is only true if people have stuffty imaginations.

how hard can I expect it to be to clear out a cave?
Depends what's in it, but for starters, what I've suggested would probably be a good enough basic scouting force.

I just got attacked by an over-world demon in the shape of a large grey earth worm.

It bit all of my limbs off before I bled to death.

I don't get how my ELEVEN companions just disappeared when that thing attacked me on the fast travel screen.

I don't get how my ELEVEN companions just disappeared when that thing attacked me on the fast travel screen.
Companions are wimps in the new version. They'll run away if they see so much as a glimpse of something that may try to kill them now. I've got bogeymen disabled now to deal with it until the personalities get fixed, and I would also suggest large-scale training of your combat skills to adept or higher before going out into the world. Beaches are usually good for that kind of nonsense.

I'm still playing in version .34 something

They just vanished from existance while I was travelling.

Also, the people in reddit are kind of messed up when it comes to adventures.

That's Bay 12 for you. Bay12 is crock full of psychopaths, and they aren't afraid of doing weird stuff for their own gain, even if it is hilarious in some cases.

Figured out the bug where I couldn't turn into a vampire. Apparently it has to do with an old bug where some people wouldn't turn for no apparent reason. The only workaround seems to be dumping water in the blood and then drinking it or putting it in a waterskin after lacing it and drinking it.

Lashers are real loving annoying in adventure mode.

A copper lash can break/chip all of your bones through armor, and they weigh practically NOTHING.

After invading a bandit camp, one managed to break both of my arms through bronze gauntlets and bronze chain mail. It then hit me in the head where it bruised everything but CRACKED MY SPINE. My friends gutted his face, but I died of suffocation afterwards...

I find that killing everyone in a city that you never go to is much better stat training than hunting wild animals and goobillies.

Lashers are real loving annoying in adventure mode.

A copper lash can break/chip all of your bones through armor, and they weigh practically NOTHING.

After invading a bandit camp, one managed to break both of my arms through bronze gauntlets and bronze chain mail. It then hit me in the head where it bruised everything but CRACKED MY SPINE. My friends gutted his face, but I died of suffocation afterwards...
The new version helps deal with that some. It makes lashers have somewhat slower attacks, but it's probably not nerfed enough. You're actually pretty lucky, because a whip can actually cut off limbs if the person using it has good enough training or if the whip's high enough quality.
I find that killing everyone in a city that you never go to is much better stat training than hunting wild animals and goobillies.
This is true in some cases, but it tends to deprive you of quests, among other things. It does get kind of funny in the old version when you get small hordes following you around.

On my current adventurer I have around 375 kills, with around 200 being cats and pigs from a single city.

Made a wrestler and went around biting peoples lips off

Fun stuff
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:31:47 PM by Frontrox »

I just became a necromancer and I must say the benefits are even better in the current version. You never get tired, therefore you can sprint forever. I have not had an issue with my own undead attacking me.

I just became a necromancer and I must say the benefits are even better in the current version. You never get tired, therefore you can sprint forever. I have not had an issue with my own undead attacking me.
Maybe toady inadvertently fixed it in the new version or something and I didn't notice.

God damn I'm dumb, I saw the new update but didn't think about posting it until now.
Quote from: Toady One
This is mainly another crash-fix release, though I was able to handle some other problems as well.  I'm still hoping to get to optimizations (for the third time in these release notes!), but as usual that depends on stability.  As you'll note below, a few of the older bugs are gone -- as we continue in this process, I'll work fixes for old bugs into the mix.

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed a crash with pathing for jumps
   (*) Fixed a crash related to invading squads attempting to train
   (*) Fixed an overpopulation bug for civilized critters and a related one for site animals
   (*) Fixed problem with retired fort uniform settings crashing later visits to the fort
   (*) Stopped a crash associated to misplaced books/slabs (root cause remains, added some logs)
   (*) Fixed position appointment issue that caused some instability
   (*) Tried to make idle code somewhat better about climbing while still getting dwarves out from being stuck
   (*) People with a weapon should use it with the proper frequency now

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Fixed problem with animal training/taming vs. lingering combat data (caused job cancel spam and inability to complete jobs)
   (*) Stopped nearby objects from being teleported by construction removal and a related problem with the item loop (ag/Quietust)
   (*) Made site finder properly indicate flux layers (Quietust)
   (*) Made game better respect existing directory structure in data/save when creating new directories
   (*) Made tops of walls appear properly when trees above walls are removed
   (*) Made strangulation take less time
   (*) Enhanced sapling survivability
   (*) Fixed a problem that caused vermin to occasionally be generated out of the loaded area
   (*) Fixed a problem that corrupted the information about items on the ground with temperature changes
   (*) Fixed some brokenness with climbing AI vs. ledge tops
   (*) Fixed a broken instance of chasing opponent AI vs unwalkable spaces
   (*) Made climbing have a higher path cost
   (*) Made people less likely to climb after a failure
   (*) Babies don't start strapped with a knife