Author Topic: Inspirational Guideline Thread (How to become a better builder)  (Read 3580 times)

A Guide To Finding Your Inspiration and Improving Your Build Skill

Are you finding it hard to create quality builds due to your lack of building skill? Maybe your building skill isn't a problem. Your houses are box shaped and un-original? Maybe the problem lies with the source of your inspiration. A key turning point in my Blockland career was when I learnt to find original concepts and images online. There's the whole internet to source from which many builders do not utilise.
I am here to offer my guidance and help in teaching you how to find inspirations from your projects.
You may remember SPO Kingdom. The castle which was the lead steam advertisement in blockland (pictured below) Pass and I searched for a while before to find our inspiration, which was the exterior gate of the main castle with some of the castle's battlements in the background. Unfortunately I cannot find the photo Pass found.

Inspiration Requests
If you'd like help finding your inspiration, reply to this thread with your request; the more detailed the better, try to include a time era and location)
Some examples:
'Modern house in the country side exterior'
'Battered African huts in a small tight village'
'Boring modern office building exterior'
'Large modern bank exterior in the heart of a city'
'Boring modern office interior'
I will then reply with an image or set of images which are closest to what you're searching for.

Want to try and find one by yourself?
I usually used image searches from various websites. Google search usually has a nice source of information of web pages with galleries. Tumblr usually has a good source of architecture but if you search through medieval stuff you'll have to filter out the cosplay and fandom b/s. The biggest piece of advice I could give you is to NOT copy Lego sets. Most of the official Lego sets aren't scaled to Blockland and will not look good, you'll spend hours trying to copy a manual and eventually it wont even to be scale.

You've found the image you want, now what?
Don't copy the build exactly. Spend time examining the build's features such as indents and spacing. Next you need to try and scale the build to Blockland. Remember that a Blockland character is 5 bricks tall and 3 bricks wide. Doors/Archways usually have a foot or two above the average human's head. Once you've started to build to the style of the image you want to bring in your own creativity to finish the build to the size you want. It's important to use inspiration for interior too. You don't have to use the same real life building for the interior and exterior. They could be from completely different places!

Feel free to request help from myself to find inspiration for your project. I urge you all to follow my tips to make you into a well established builder.
I'd appreciate it if you have used my guide to post a picture of the inspiration you found/were given and the build you completed from it. (It may help others!)

Tumblr usually has a good source of architecture but if you search through medieval stuff you'll have to filter out the cosplay and fandom b/s.
I really wouldn't go on Tumblr right now if I were you...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:13:38 PM by {L} »

considering this was by furdle I expected the entire OP to be blank except for
"step 1. Be me."

I just realized

The blockhead is shown to be left-handed.

I just realized

holy mother of

Probably because the image is mirrored
no its not

thanks this is useful

no its not
No it probably is. No way to know for sure so lets just end this conversation here.
And thanks, glad its useful to people.

Well this got a lot less attention than I thought it would.

It sure would be nice if we had more advanced builders.

And less pointless and boring servers.

Small abandoned island with tall grass and rocky shores, preferably with some small old building on it.

Small abandoned island with tall grass and rocky shores, preferably with some small old building on it.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Q-PuSGjFHvY/SPvsZzVS0wI/AAAAAAAACXo/VeH2t5Cwopc/s1600-h/4668835.jpg

Let me know how close I was to the description
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:30:35 PM by Lord Furdle »

I just realized

The revolution has started.
GET INTO YOUR BUNKERS!!!!
just incase it's not mirrored