Poll

favorite meme ULTIMATE FINAL ROUND

SAD FROG/PEPE
62 (49.6%)
FEELS GUY
63 (50.4%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Author Topic: T̶u̶m̶b̶l̶r̶ wofl Megathread  (Read 435660 times)

sjws are just middle class girls with nothing to complain about but they still wanna complain about something thats wrong in their lives so they come up with these ridiculous ideas to complain about

sjws are just middle class girls with nothing to complain about but they still wanna complain about something thats wrong in their lives so they come up with these ridiculous ideas to complain about
and you're complaining about them.

What does that make you?
but in all seriousness just ignore them

I definitely feel like minorities/women are definitely really downplayed when it comes to comics/movies/video games

This Ghostbusters remake will probably be stuff because it's a 30 year old classic they're attempting to remake, but I hope it isn't stuff because the cast are women. People need to be shown that women/minorities/LGBTQ+ people can have lead roles without being overloveualized/made to be a stereotype

Nick Fury got changed into Samuel L. Jackson, but that is totally alright with me and hopefully everybody.

(From white to black)
Expect being black isn't his sole isn't the new Nick Fury's trait whereas Miles Morales was made to appeal to the politically correct crowd. Nick Furry isn't all like "I'm Black, everyone who is white hates me, muh oppression, my MLK!" Nope, he is a badass leader of secret organization, not a poster boy for politically correct groups.

Then there is one of my favorite fallout characters Raul. Raul a Mutant who grew up a rancher in Mexico before WW3 happened. He is taken hostage by much larger mutants and you can save him and can follow you to the end of the game. Through your actions he will be inspired to become a gunslinger vaquero who hunts down those who prey on the weak.

I definitely feel like minorities/women are definitely really downplayed when it comes to comics/movies/video games

This Ghostbusters remake will probably be stuff because it's a 30 year old classic they're attempting to remake, but I hope it isn't stuff because the cast are women. People need to be shown that women/minorities/LGBTQ+ people can have lead roles without being overloveualized/made to be a stereotype
You see, it is possible for a LGBT POC or whatever to be a leading role, but it doesn't happen much because they aren't common.  It is rare enough for a character to become the hero of the story, so obviously it's probably going to be a "normal" person.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a gay protagonist, but the thing is whenever someone goes to make a game with such a protagonist, they go way the forget overboard and make the gay protagonist the selling point.

The first game is a story about a lesbian girl. It's not like it's an FPS or a fighting game or an adventure with a LGBT main character that yells about heteronormativity/cisnormativity every time they kill somebody. It's not shoehorned into the game, it's a story about a lesbian individual. That's fine.

As for the second game, it's satire. Something to do with how women are loveualized in media. This is an example of somebody creating a game based on the main character's loveuality. Not what I'm asking. I'm asking for some stories/movies/games where the main character(s) happen to be LGBT/minorities, and while it is part of their identity, it isn't overstated.

I'm not asking for like 80% of protagonists to be POC or LGBT or whatever. But it should be at least fairly accurate to real life. It seems like 70-80% of main characters are white when white people are probably 30-40% of the population. Just mix it up a bit. IMO a character's race/loveuality/gender should be totally random unless it has some tie in to the story.

selling
that page doesn't even mention the fact that one of the characters (that is, not the protagonist) is a lesbian. nor does it mention homoloveuality at all. how could it possibly be a "selling point"?

As for the second game, it's satire. Something to do with how women are loveualized in media. This is an example of somebody creating a game based on the main character's loveuality. Not what I'm asking. I'm asking for some stories/movies/games where the main character(s) happen to be LGBT/minorities, and while it is part of their identity, it isn't overstated.

still not worth 15 bucks

It is rare enough for a character to become the hero of the story, so obviously it's probably going to be a "normal" person.

The majority of male characters are there because they are made by male designers who are trying to project themselves into their designs, since it's a lot easier to design a character based around yourself and make it have life-like traits over trying to depict a character you've had no experience with in real life.

If you want more female characters, you gotta have more female designers. And to do that, you need more female players. And to do that, you need more games that attract females. And to do that, you need more female chara...

See the circular logic? There will be exceptions, but the general rule is that most designers (at least in the west) are male, and almost all designers will design games about what interests them, and most male designers are interested in games that are interesting to males.

Right now I'm doing a large-scale survey to try and get enough feedback from both male and female perspectives in order to figure how one makes a game attractive to females who've never played a game before (and it's hard, since you have to defeat those preconceptions of games being male toys). Hopefully this will allow me and other designers to start making more games that target females. Honestly though, until we see an increase in female designers, the majority of protagonists will continue to be male simply because it's a lot easier to write from what you know.

Personally I can't say whether designers can only write about what they know. I don't imagine Shigeru Miyamoto based Mario off of his crazed drug trips in the seedy part of Tokyo. For games where story is the driving element, I can see how the designer's gender would be more relevant. But for simpler gameplay driven games, there's no need to have the experience of being a female/minority. You can just make the main character a different race/gender and that'd be that. This is a good first step because as we diversify gender/ethnic representation in video games, women and minorities will feel less alienated by the medium and become interested in game design.

It wouldnt matter if someone made a lead of some show or story a POC the tumblrs would still scream at them about something thats wrong.

I honestly think if people did that, females and other minorities would complain that they're being represented as one dimensional characters for simple games as a token, and not being allowed in the major games.

Futhermore, I don't think there usually is any level of consideration because without those other female and minority opinions, nobody will speak up about it. In the design meeting I've witness, the lead will usually say, "Okay, so, John (or whatever the character's prototype name is) will be doing X Y Z)." There's no discussion over it, it just happens. The concept artist will then make the concept art based on what they're told, because they want to get paid. In a smaller game, your major focus in gameplay. You need something short and snappy. Protagonists don't get major treatments because they don't figure much into the overall experience.

EDIT: I've done in a lot of my designs with half females and half males as protagonists. For me it's not about loveulisation, but meaning. A lot of my games are based on personal experience, so if it's a male it's probably based on me, if it's a female it's probably based on a female, with their input on how they like the character to be portrayed. Not everybody is like this, however, and not everybody has the friends or experience to go off this.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:55:00 PM by McJobless »