Author Topic: Using the Squatty Potty :)  (Read 1593 times)

"Humans used to squat, so squatting is healthy!" is such a marketing ploy. If everything people did during antiquity is best for our health today, that also includes wiping our asses with our hands, drinking unfiltered river water, and eating random plants in the wilderness.

"Humans used to squat, so squatting is healthy!" is such a marketing ploy. If everything people did during antiquity is best for our health today, that also includes wiping our asses with our hands, drinking unfiltered river water, and eating random plants in the wilderness.

...Apart from the fact that they gave us a valid reason for it. And no one said anything about

wiping our asses with our hands, drinking unfiltered river water, and eating random plants in the wilderness.

i just lean forward

omfg i caused the great economic depression 2

i just lean forward

omfg i caused the great economic depression 2
Were you liquidating some assets?

I can't speak for any sources proving so, but I've heard that squatting makes it easier to poo and so you use less force when doing so. That in turn also help prevent damage to your colon and prevents bowel/colon cancer. I've heard the claim that asian people (who predominantly squat) have lower rates of such cancers, but they do also have widely different diets from those of western culture which definitely has an impact.

It's also apparently better for your posture and therefore spine, as most people who sit down to poo will also lean forward, whereas squatters have a straighter back (partly so they don't lose balance and fall in their own poo)

They probably put more time in the special effects than actually researching and designing this

Now I can poop in peace without putting myself in danger.

...Apart from the fact that they gave us a valid reason for it. And no one said anything about
Your sigmoid colon doesn't look like it does in the simulation. Your intestines are generally air-free, so when the sphincter relaxes it's not going to 'open' your sigmoid colon. If you want to do further reading, I'd look up 'vacuum' on Wikipedia.

That in turn also help prevent damage to your colon and prevents bowel/colon cancer. I've heard the claim that asian people (who predominantly squat) have lower rates of such cancers, but they do also have widely different diets from those of western culture which definitely has an impact.

It's also apparently better for your posture and therefore spine, as most people who sit down to poo will also lean forward, whereas squatters have a straighter back (partly so they don't lose balance and fall in their own poo)
I can maybe buy that it helps you stuff, but all these health-benefits smell like bullstuff (no pun intended). Cancer is caused by lots of things, but the posture you use to stuff is definitely not one of them. Asian people, as an ethnic group, have different genetic predispositions to their own diseases, so it's perfectly natural that at least some ethnic group has a lower risk of getting colon cancer.

What you said about posture is correct but the average person doesn't spend more than a few minutes in the bathroom every day, so I doubt your stuffting-posture has a long-term affect on the health of your spine.

I loving love science.
It's funny you say that because this video is almost entirely predicated on fancy marketing techniques instead of actual science.  :cookieMonster:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:36:39 PM by SeventhSandwich »