Author Topic: Dumped $150 into guitar parts here  (Read 395 times)

So I took he plunge into the VASTLY unknown to me by spending a (personally) obscene amount of money for this guitar:

My beater Peavy 6 string. I bought a new humbucker (DiMarzio Titan Bridge), and pots for it (and knobs :3). I'm going to set up the tone in a push-pull configuration for series and parallel switching. I have no experience with soldering, but I understand the mechanics of guitar wiring enough to try, at least. The worst I could do is have a guitar that doesn't output, but that's like "I have no idea how to wire even with this goddamn diagram." This is kind of a toe-in-the-water for me in terms of my future career, since I really want to become a luthier. So it should be fun. I should be getting the parts and pickup around Thursday. I also plan on replacing the machine heads and nut for better tuning, and POSSIBLY the bridge saddles. Will definitely be putting a pickguard on though, to give it a vintage-contemporary blend look.

This is the specific pickup I got:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:44:59 AM by ShadowsfeaR »

Why would you only replace one pickup? Nothing wrong with it but normally when people replace pickups they replace all of them. The picture decided to load fully. my bad.
In addition you might want to replace other parts (strings, even going as far as tuners etc) depending how long youve had your guitar.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:57:55 AM by danisaac5 »

my guitar

id really like to have a cream fender jazz bass, but my dad wont replace this one yet :(

its a good guitar tho. id like to customize it at some point, any tips?

Why would you only replace one pickup? Nothing wrong with it but normally when people replace pickups they replace all of them. The picture decided to load fully. my bad.
In addition you might want to replace other parts (strings, even going as far as tuners etc) depending how long youve had your guitar.

I replace my strings monthly, on all my guitars. I probably am going to replace the machine heads (and nut) because the tuning stability on the guitar isn't superb but it's passable. But the sound itself is kinda piss, so that was a more potent problem that needed to be fixed first.

its a good guitar tho. id like to customize it at some point, any tips?

If it plays well and holds a tuning good, then all that would be necessary to upgrade would be pickups. I personally like DiMarzio and Bareknuckle, but BK has a very small selection of bass pups, while DiMarzio has a good selection. Your particular pickup configuration is called a P/J set-up.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:10:49 AM by ShadowsfeaR »

If it plays well and holds a tuning good, then all that would be necessary to upgrade would be pickups. I personally like DiMarzio and Bareknuckle, but BK has a very small selection of bass pups, while DiMarzio has a good selection. Your particular pickup configuration is called a P/J set-up.
hold tuning great, plays well, also thanks for the info!