Poll

Should Blockland be on Linux?

Of Course Yes
No
Maybe
I'm not sure.....

Author Topic: Should Blockland be supported on Linux?  (Read 8813 times)

Hey. Still haven't ever had a virus!  :cookieMonster:
Me neither. It has nothing to do with a user's OS.

there really isn't such a thing as just a plain old 'executable' file that you can download and double click to run.
Honest to god this is the ONE thing that I can't get over about linux.

Me neither. It has nothing to do with a user's OS.
I was saying that in jest, hence the :cookieMonster:. But I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with the user's OS; a certain OS won't prevent viruses, but it's a simple truth that if a user isn't careful, they're much more likely to get a virus on a Windows computer. Not hating on Windows or anything, that's just how it is.

But yeah that's because they're not careful. If you wander around aimlessly around the internet then it's guaranteed you're gonna get a virus on any well known os. Less people use linux so i'd assume that there would be less viruses for linux.

loving wine. Blockland is terrible with Wine. Wine can do some things really well, but not Blockland.

EDIT: And, holy stuff you guys.

Windows users: Stop throwing stuff at Linux users for no reason. "Everyone who uses Linux just wants to look cool." Would you shut the forget up. There are practical reasons for doing so.

Linux users: Who gives a stuff if it's open source? Have you ever even had a use for that? Have you ever edited the source of anything you use?

I honestly prefer Linux for it's level of customability. I use Arch, so for me that means starting with a command-line system and adding things from there to make it exactly how I want. For people who use Windows and most distributions of Linux as well, everything essential for a desktop operating system is already there.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:23:44 PM by blueblur121 »

There are practical reasons for doing so.
i have still yet to see any given

i have still yet to see any given
How about not being able to afford $100 software? Some people cannot.

i think that's as close as it gets, though really, windows isn't very expensive at all lol
if you can afford a computer, you can afford windows

Or just use the operating system your computer came with? ...

Blockland runs almost perfectly on Wine, I actually get higher framerates using Wine than on native Windows, so I'd just say use Wine.

Hey Taboo!  :cookieMonster:

Dang, this post of mine saying if Blockland should support Linux is turing into a argument. I'm deeply sorry if I reply to any of you guys negative feedback. :(

But this IS the Internet, anyone can reply to you harshly or make dimwitted comments, but I can completely understand that.

Honest to god this is the ONE thing that I can't get over about linux.
what
there are executable files you can run
wtf?

Hey Taboo!  :cookieMonster:
That doesn't actually mean anything, there aren't any numbers to back it up.

loving wine. Blockland is terrible with Wine. Wine can do some things really well, but not Blockland.

EDIT: And, holy stuff you guys.

You're either running an old version of wine or using intel graphics. The reason Blockland runs faster via Wine for me is because the video drivers for Linux run so much faster than their Windows equivalents, and since Wine isn't a VM it just redirects calls to their proper Linux counterpart and proxies commands that don't have an exact Linux equivalent. So it utilizes the better Linux drivers that result in faster frame rates. The Steam developers found the same thing when they ported the Source engine over to Linux.

Here's a Quote from the Valve Linux developers:
Quote from: Valve
Left 4 Dead 2 is running at 315 FPS on Linux. That the Linux version runs faster than the Windows version (270.6) seems a little counter-intuitive, given the greater amount of time we have spent on the Windows version. However, it does speak to the underlying efficiency of the kernel and OpenGL.

i have still yet to see any [practical reasons for using linux] given

I have perfectly practical reasons for using Linux as a programmer. The POSIX standard family is a hundred times easier to use than WinAPI. Windows programming in general is a convoluted mess. Many bleeding edge builds of libraries and projects are unsupported on Windows because their developers use Linux and haven't gotten around to porting them and testing them on Windows yet. A good example is the Rust programming language, which I'm a developer of, which for a majority of its career so far has been unstable at best for Windows. Combined with the (programming) work-conducive environment provided by a command line and powerful macro customization, it's an indispensable tool when it comes to writing software. Granted, I do have Visual Studio installed on my Windows partition, but the only thing I use that for is writing C++ mods for Blockland. And nothing is more integrated with WinAPI than hacking its low level functions, which is a nightmare.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:24:29 AM by $trinick »

Or just use the operating system your computer came with? ...

Only prebuilt computers come with operating systems installed. For a custom built computer, you have to buy/download/whatever the OS.