Should Blockland be supported on Linux?

Poll

Should Blockland be on Linux?

Of Course Yes
No
Maybe
I'm not sure.....

Author Topic: Should Blockland be supported on Linux?  (Read 8801 times)

I have perfectly practical reasons for using Linux as a programmer. The POSIX standard family is a hundred times easier to use than WinAPI. Windows programming in general is a convoluted mess. Many bleeding edge builds of libraries and projects are unsupported on Windows because their developers use Linux and haven't gotten around to porting them and testing them on Windows yet. A good example is the Rust programming language, which I'm a developer of, which for a majority of its career so far has been unstable at best for Windows. Combined with the (programming) work-conducive environment provided by a command line and powerful macro customization, it's an indispensable tool when it comes to writing software. Granted, I do have Visual Studio installed on my Windows partition, but the only thing I use that for is writing C++ mods for Blockland. And nothing is more integrated with WinAPI than hacking its low level functions, which is a nightmare.
we did it
after six pages of nothing, a legitimate reason for using linux
good god do i hate fixing things for Windows
alright, now let's see a reason to applies from the rest of the people in this thread who aren't programmers

alright, now let's see a reason to applies from the rest of the people in this thread who aren't programmers

it's still a totally valid point that when you can't afford an OS you can use a linux distro for free.

if you can afford a computer, you can afford windows
Heck, if you don't, you probably know someone with an install or two laying around.
I'll count it as a half.

Heck, if you don't, you probably know someone with an install or two laying around.
I'll count it as a half.

at a sub $500 level, $80-$100 taken off of the build budget means you don't have a graphics card. And regardless of whether the person has a friend with an install available, people who don't still have a reason to use a linux distro.

Hello, blocklandman0815.
That idea isn't bad. Blockland should have support for Linux. Even if it may work with WINE, there are still buggy things going on with this. So, true Linux Support would be a good idea. Those people, who hate on Linux probably never used it or are just a bunch of incompetent handicaps who aren't able to switch from Windows to Linux for whatever reason :) I commiserate with those poor creatures.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:26:23 AM by Cajetan² »

the video drivers for Linux run so much faster than their Linux equivalents

?!

we did it
after six pages of nothing, a legitimate reason for using linux
good god do i hate fixing things for Windows
Lol. I gave legit reasons, but I guess those were just ignored.

?!

I don't really know how to reply to this because "?!" can mean so many things, but I'm going to assume that doubt is insinuated, so I'll re-quote the  Valve Linux developers because they're really the best authority on this kind of thing:

Quote from: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/
That the Linux version runs faster than the Windows version (270.6) seems a little counter-intuitive, given the greater amount of time we have spent on the Windows version. However, it does speak to the underlying efficiency of the kernel and OpenGL.

He was pointing out a typo.

He was pointing out a typo.
Oh wow. I reread it twice before I noticed what you meant. This is why "?!" is not an acceptable way to point out a typo.

It's free
It has many different distributions for many different uses
Most distributions get their software from repositories rather than installation executable files
It is the most customizable operating system I have ever used
It is incredibly lightweight (depending on distribution of course)
It does not have Windows' messy attempt at a "command prompt"

And incompatibility has never been an issue for me. I have never come across a program that didn't either A: Have a Linux/Unix version available, or B: was able to be run with Wine. And Blockland is the only thing that I need Wine to run, which brings us back to our first topic: Should Blockland have a Linux version?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:58:05 AM by blueblur121 »

In Taboo's defense, none of those are reasons to use Linux over Windows. The only one that might be relevant is that it's lightweight, but unless your computer is a Raspberry Pi I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if it's lightweight.

However, at the same time, preference is a thing and doesn't usually need to have reasons behind it. I prefer the color blue over the color green. Do I have any solid reasons that blue is an inherently superior color? No. But I like it more than green, so I tend to use it more often. Some people may just prefer the environment Linux provides.

In Taboo's defense, none of those are reasons to use Linux over Windows.
Command prompt. Command prompt.
And cygwin doesn't count. It literally makes the cmd work more like Linux/Unix.

However, at the same time, preference is a thing and doesn't usually need to have reasons behind it. I prefer the color blue over the color green. Do I have any solid reasons that blue is an inherently superior color? No. But I like it more than green, so I tend to use it more often. Some people may just prefer the environment Linux provides.
I like that brown townogy.
But you're wrong blue is better.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:09:08 PM by blueblur121 »

The only reason the linux drivers for opengl and the sorts run faster is because valve pushed the developers at amd, nvidia, intel, etc to make them better so the source engine could run better on there. They may have made l4d run faster (315 fps on a test), but don't forget the sentence that followed right after:

Interestingly, in the process of working with hardware vendors we also sped up the OpenGL implementation on Windows. Left 4 Dead 2 is now running at 303.4 FPS with that configuration.

303 isnt 315 but its certainly much better than 270, and at the time the windows drivers weren't even supposed to be worked on- so perhaps if nvidia/amd/etc focused purely on windows with the same problems they encountered with the linux drivers, it's drivers would be up to par with linux's, too. The only reason I can think of that makes shaders run better on linux is because of the compilers are different, but those are built in with the drivers, so its not the fault of the OS which determines what runs faster- its the driver developers.

Someone should run blockland on windows and linux and brown townyze the generated shader assembly to see how different it is.

Lol. I gave legit reasons, but I guess those were just ignored.
Same here...... -_-