Author Topic: How do i compress sound files?  (Read 7656 times)

I want  to compress my sound files for blockland, since there size is huge and it takes players about an hour to download all the sounds for my server, I want to reduce this loading time, so I need to know, what program to use, and how to compress the files

Thanks

I didn't ask for help for the hell of it :P

For music: Open file in audacity, got to File > Export, and select Ogg Vorbis. Under Options in the export dialog, change the sound quality, then export.

For other sounds (.wav format): Since audacity has no options for WAV exports, go to http://media.io and upload your sound files. Select .wav as your ouptut format, and then select 96 Kbps for your quality. It will process the files, and then you can download.

Alternatively, you can download a nifty program called Format Factory, and convert to the same format, just messing around with the quality settings.

For music: Open file in audacity, got to File > Export, and select Ogg Vorbis. Under Options in the export dialog, change the sound quality, then export.

For other sounds (.wav format): Since audacity has no options for WAV exports, go to http://media.io and upload your sound files. Select .wav as your ouptut format, and then select 96 Kbps for your quality. It will process the files, and then you can download.

Alternatively, you can download a nifty program called Format Factory, and convert to the same format, just messing around with the quality settings.
So uploading over 400 BF3 sounds to mediafire tweaking the quality and redownloading them will reduce there size, thus reduce loading time ingame?

So uploading over 400 BF3 sounds to mediafire tweaking the quality and redownloading them will reduce there size, thus reduce loading time ingame?
Well, I think you may be confused. That's not mediafire. It's media.io. Also, if you have that many files, get Format Factory - it'll be much faster and easier. Make sure to opt out of the extra toolbars when installing: http://www.pcfreetime.com/download.html

Ive run into two problems, so media.io, the site must be terminated or something because when ever I go to the site, it says, "theres been a problem" or whatever. Also I have no idea how to use Format factory, could you tutor me on how to compress the file? I don't want this to be like me and Audacity, it took me forever to figure out how to use all the stuff on it via self teaching myself.

Drag all the files to FF. Select the same output file as the ones you've dragged - in other words, do one type of file at a time! Then, click "Options" or "Settings", go to the quality settings, and adjust them. If you have all the files selected while doing this, it might change it for all of them, I don't know. Once you've adjusted the quality, exit out of the settings window and hit the start button.

is thing completely forgeted up my sounds, it made them all Stereo, and really quiet
And now I have to go through audacity and fix them all one by one...

is thing completely forgeted up my sounds, it made them all Stereo, and really quiet
have fun

You didn't set all the settings properly then. Also, the original files should still exist, unless you saved over them for some odd reason.