What exactly is the appeal in Pokemon?

Author Topic: What exactly is the appeal in Pokemon?  (Read 2200 times)

Well, the RNG is affected by your choice in element when attacking... but it's still RNG.
Pokemon games are boring. Last I played through was Yellow years and years ago and I walked away from that with the ultimate "its ok" on my brain. My girlfriend's been trying to get me back into it, I've managed to wiggle out of it for now because I rarely have my 3DS on me.

I just feel i've outgrown Nintendo at this ripe age of nearly-18. Very few people my age that I know in real life play Pokemon anymore or even play on a Nintendo system.

i may have played - or started - HG/SS three times by now. and it still holds up as one of the best games ive ever played. so theres that.
but as a general rule, nintendo games are fun

I just feel i've outgrown Nintendo at this ripe age of nearly-18. Very few people my age that I know in real life play Pokemon anymore or even play on a Nintendo system.
It's the cycle.

I assure you, it'll all come back very quickly.

I've literally never heard of College-age kids playing Pokemon before.
For that matter I rarely ever see children playing Pokemon anymore either. Call of Duty appears to have become the new Pokemon for kids in the last 5 years.

Most of my college-age-or-above friends play Pokemon.
Of course, unlike the Tiedrich's college days of 4 years ago, these guys grew up with it really hard.

My mentor-in-Christ Andrew was formerly a pro at Pokemon back in the day
he's dumbfounded though whenever I tell him about the ridiculous new kinds of pokemon they have added in the last several versions

i still think its stupid they made pokemon based on inanimate objects
nosepass is such a stupid pokemon

the only tolerable inanimate-object pokemon I can stand are ones like Geodude and Regirock, because most rocks and whatnot are often teeming with micro-organisms
oh, and the Unknowns. After all it is a kids game, so why not help the little ones learn their letters of the alphabet

oh my gosh
i just thought
what if you alphabet-souped unknowns in a PC box on pokemon so it read out as curse words?
lol
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:36:35 AM by Planr »

People do/did that all the time.

People do/did that all the time.
strange how i only heard or thought about it until now
i seem to have missed a lot in my childhood

though i certainly would still pass up the opportunity to do little league baseball or BMX biking for kids
not only do I have no interest in sports + i'm not athletic, but in the words of Leonard Hoffsteader, "as I remember, the rules of Baseball are, 'Get picked last, strike out, cry, and go home'"

That's a lot of luck based things. How about telling me where the game isn't luck based?
planning and executing the final battle between you and the elite four, building an effective team, making your team stronger, online battling which requires an intense amount of preparing and training, literally everything besides the things planr listed

My mentor-in-Christ Andrew was formerly a pro at Pokemon back in the day
he's dumbfounded though whenever I tell him about the ridiculous new kinds of pokemon they have added in the last several versions

i still think its stupid they made pokemon based on inanimate objects
nosepass is such a stupid pokemon
GEODUDE IS LITERALLY A ROCK WITH ARMS AND CHARIZARD AND DRAGONITE WERE JUST DRAGONS
meanwhile drifblim is an insanely awesome ghost balloon, chandelure is a wicked nasty ghost chandelier, etc.
they have been improving. but ghost pokemon are like the only inanimate objects really but they are loving wicked cool.

I think it's also worth noting that my biggest problem with Pokemon is the fanbase. Yeah, the game itself isn't fun to play, but the fanbase makes me hate it even more. Many people have multiple interests in their lives, but not Pokemon fans. Their only interest is Pokemon. Because it's the only thing they ever talk about. Ever.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:01:18 AM by the hacker »

I think it's also worth noting that my biggest problem with Pokemon is the fanbase. Yeah, the game itself isn't fun to play, but the fanbase makes me hate it even more. Many people have multiple interests in their lives, but not Pokemon fans. Their only interest is Pokemon. Because it's the only thing they ever talk about. Ever.
This is very true. My good friend Miranda is a big fan of Pokemon herself but she never stops talking about it! It does get annoying sometimes.

planning and executing the final battle between you and the elite four, building an effective team, making your team stronger, online battling which requires an intense amount of preparing and training, literally everything besides the things planr listed
By training, you mean grinding so your numbers can beat the other guy's numbers. Real exciting.