What exactly is the appeal in Pokemon?

Author Topic: What exactly is the appeal in Pokemon?  (Read 2205 times)

Everyone hates me for not liking pokemon.
It's just a turn based rpg that has existed for a really long time, which in my opinion makes it really repetitive. I mean, it's not like they made any serious gameplay changes in the last 20 years.

It's really repetitive. I don't think I'll ever go back to Pokemon unless they make some serious gameplay changes.

It's really repetitive. I don't think I'll ever go back to Pokemon unless they make some serious gameplay changes.
ya lets make it an rts
give us an example of a major gameplay change that wouldn't wreck the formula

ya lets make it an rts
I don't know. I was thinking of a 3D third person RPG-ish thing that is more fluid. (like instead of walking over grass and getting a generic battle animation, you walk into an environment that is likely to have wild pokemon and you get in a battle. that's just one example)

I'm not a game designer. But I think pokemon should be more fluid, more open world, more about exploration and discovery than what it currently is. I wish they would put care into the franchise instead of milking it for another generation. I don't care about nostalgia, make a game of any generation/continent you want. Just make it loving interesting for once

yes we need giant 3D open-world non-linear pokémon

yes we need giant 3D open-world non-linear pokémon
i'm not saying we should nix linearity but it is really loving tedious and fixed as it is right now

ya lets make it an rts
Fun.

i'll be surprised if anybody reads it

I don't either, and I don't mind. But it's out there just in case.

Also Regulith, you didn't need to write a loving essay.
If you're not going to read all of what the other side has to say, you don't deserve to say anything.

If you're not going to read all of what the other side has to say, you don't deserve to say anything.
being a normal person, you mean?

There's a pokemon fighting game called type wild.

You guys should try it.

http://oneweakness.com/pokemon-type-wild.html

So if I write a 300 page essay about the appeal in Pokemon, and my opponent refuses to read it, I win automatically. Cool.

You guys really will argue about anything, won't you? I should know that by now, but it still surprises me.

Look, people wanted to know the appeal of Pokemon, and I wrote about it. Yes it's a lot, but no more than an average news article. I know we live in a world where everything is as condensed as possible and most people would rather read their Twitter feed than a book, and I'm guilty of that too. If you don't want to read it, that's fine, move on. But if you're genuinely curious about why people like it and you're not just riding a blind hate train then I think you'll be at least a little curious about what it says.

I don't think you to to argue why a game is fun.
If it's fun it's fun that's why it's fun.
If you don't like it then it's not fun.
Case closed.