Favorite Gaming Companies / Favorite games of all time

Author Topic: Favorite Gaming Companies / Favorite games of all time  (Read 2475 times)

Bungie
Valve
and Nintendo

Halo
Half life/Counter strike
Smash brothers

I might come back and do a favourite games list later. For now, game dev studios:

• Insomniac Games: One of the companies that got me interested in become a dev myself. Incredible culture, and always producing some pretty high level, interesting content. Really love their work, but a damn shame I won't be able to intern/get a job with them...
  • Rareware: Old school Rare WERE the rockstars of gaming. They conquered so many damn genres, and the people who worked there were so British it was hilarious.
  • ATD/NetDevil: Both companies were made up of real people who were fun and actually cared. If you look through some of the developer comments on certain things, and study the Twitter feeds of the developers as they've moved on, you're bound to be in stitches laughing. They took all the fails with stride.
  • Obsidian Entertainment: Chris Avellone should be labelled as the greatest game writer of all time. Obsidian should be renamed to "miracle-makers", since they always get hired to make sequels to games with very limited time and resources, and despite the bugs, almost always pull through. Their stories are much deeper, and they try to play with gameplay in very interesting ways. KotORII will remain the one game I think every game developer should study.
  • Bungie LLC: I've fallen out of respect with them recently, but only because of a few actions. That said, Bungie is pretty much the other reason I want to be a game developer. The amount of insight they allow people to have on how they work, their community relations and some of the games they made points at one brilliant company.
  • Spicy Horse: Their artstyle and stories are incredible. Gameplay may not be as good as the rest of their games, but they're the few games that I allow to make the exception. They've inspired my art and writing style a lot more than I thought. It's also pretty awesome how they operate.
  • Double Fine: I could list a lot of indie developers, but I'll only list two for brevity. Double Fine have never made a bad game. Period. These guys are funny, twisted and really care. That's what I want to hear from a indie developer.
  • Jonathan Blow: Last one. My teacher essentially got me into the Jonathan Blow hype. This guy's take on games, his speeches, his actual games and just about everything he does and says is inspirational to say the least. If I could be like any indie dev, this is probably it.

Sure, I could mention EA and Valve and other companies, but the ones above are more important to me.

if your favorite game is not MOTHER 3 then you're WRONG

^truthbomb

i'm trying to get into the obscure indie-RPG Maker genre because i really like the aesthetic of some games such as Space Funeral, OFF, and Middens (which I haven't started yet :S), but out of the ones I've played, I haven't really found one worthy of being a favorite...

Can't decide on companies, but Nintendo's an obvious pick I guess. They've been there from the beginning and there are a stuffton of cool NES and SNES games that I really like. But I'm still a casual so what do I know <:K.

valve
sega
nintendo
naughty dog
rockstar
square enix

in no particular order
Valve
Supergiant
Behemoth
Bethesda
Double Fine
Klei
Nintendo
Insomniac
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:21:47 PM by Cargøn »

I'm stuck between Bethesda and Naughty Dog, with Rockstar being a VERY close second.

Favorite game of all time is Skyrim. The atmosphere, and music are the main reasons why its my number one. Combat is pretty good too.

Favorite game of all time is Skyrim. The atmosphere, and music are the main reasons why its my number one.
the modding capabilities don't hurt either

Harmonix
Valve
aaaand Treyarch

the only good thing rare made was perfect dark and donkey kong imo

the only good thing rare made was perfect dark and donkey kong imo
Goldeneye, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo Kazooie, Battletoads...there's more where those came from.

Even if you don't enjoy the personally, you have to recognise how much influence and how important they are to this industry, and how much positive reception these games had and still have today.

My favorites in order:

Konami (specifically kojima)
Square Enix
Naughty D
Rockstar
Insomniac Games
Bethesda
Nintendo
Ubisoft
Valve
Capcom
Harmonix
Treyarch

Ensemble Studios
for bringing out Age Of Mythology and sparking my gaming interest.

(RIP in pieces Ensemble)

id
Valve
Double Fine
Looking Glass Studios
Riot