Author Topic: Need a teacher!  (Read 3042 times)

Hey, I am very basic at torque! I can't find guides for a complete noob! I would love if someone would teach me from the bottom up how to code! I am very open to learn and love to do so! Leave a comment if you are interested!   :cookieMonster: :cookie: :cookie:

You shouldn't learn torque as your first language, learn something easier to get started so you know how coding works.

Here is a website to help you: http://www.codecademy.com/learn#_=_

-snip-
No, this is incorrect. IMO, Torque is in fact an extremely easy language to learn - if you're willing to put forth the effort.
Just check out the Coding Resources, and see what you can get from there. 

I mean I can read this stuff, but it doesn't make any sense. I've been taking references from this site. http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~stewart/GPGT/Appendix%20A%20-%20Quick%20References.pdf I really am tired of reading and need some hands on training... I'm not trying to sound suborn. Please. What's the point of school without a teacher? This is very confusing to me.  I have excellent ideas. Please it will be worth your time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:04:32 AM by JackofTrades »

No, this is incorrect. IMO, Torque is in fact an extremely easy language to learn - if you're willing to put forth the effort.
Just check out the Coding Resources, and see what you can get from there. 

I'm just saying that in my opinion, in comparison to something like 'Ruby', Torque is slightly harder to kick off.

learn c++ then build a programming language and learn that
super easy

I'm just saying that in my opinion, in comparison to something like 'Ruby', Torque is slightly harder to kick off.

You're crazy my brother. Ruby has innumerably more features than Torque. Maybe the syntax might be easier to pick up, but even that I'd say would be a no because the syntax is so fluid that you'll find the same code formatted 5 completely different ways that look completely different. Confusing as forget to a first-time programmer.

Torque is a great first language. You don't have to worry about type-safety, typecasting, pointers, memory leaks, low-level APIs, or any of the complicated baggage that languages contain for experienced programmers that make no sense for new programmers.

Plus, Torque can be executed and displayed instantly through Blockland. There's this factor of instantaneous satisfaction as you see your code run and actually do stuff in the world. Beginner programming in other languages is like, write a 'bank account' program.. write a calculator.. do all this boring stuff. With Torque you can skip the boring stuff you need to get the fundamentals down because you're building on a fantastic base. Instead of learning what a method is by creating a class that adds two numbers together and adding the add method to it, you can use %brick.setColor(getRandom(0, 32)); and watch the brick turn pretty colors.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:23:18 PM by $trinick »

So anyone going to teach?

you have NO idea how tedious it is to teach someone something you've had hardcoded in to your brain for the last year or two.
its really better to just look at scripts of addons that you KNOW what they do, and try and figure out which parts of the script do what so you can replicate it in your scripts.

you have NO idea how tedious it is to teach someone something you've had hardcoded in to your brain for the last year or two.
its really better to just look at scripts of addons that you KNOW what they do, and try and figure out which parts of the script do what so you can replicate it in your scripts.
-massive snip-
This. People told me to start with Ruby and something else (iirc it was python) before I started learning TorqueScript. Worst decision of my life. OP, actually start with TS, don't start with anything else as a "base language to start programming" because TS is fairly easy to learn, and as Trinick said, you have an amazing starting foundation, because you don't have to
Learn what a method is by creating a class that adds two numbers together and adding the add method to it, you can use %brick.setColor(getRandom(0, 32)); and watch the brick turn pretty colors.
A better way (at least imo) is to try to recreate basic, simple addons that someone else has made after you have gotten past the basics, without using the addon itself as a resource. I did so myself with ClickPush and Autobridge.

A better way (at least imo) is to try to recreate basic, simple addons that someone else has made after you have gotten past the basics, without using the addon itself as a resource. I did so myself with ClickPush and Autobridge.

I was actually referring to learning the basics, like what a method is and how it works. In my example, you can see that "setColor" is an example of a method on a brick object, and this method operates just like a function except you define what object it applies to. You can also see that methods can take parameters, and usually modify or get information from the object they're applied to.

Learn C++ then hop into torque later and everything will be much easier to learn. :V

Learn C++ then hop into torque later and everything will be much easier to learn. :V

Yep! In the same way, if you're having trouble with your highschool physics homework, you should learn astrophysics. Once you've got that down, your introductory physics course will be a breeze.

Yep! In the same way, if you're having trouble with your highschool physics homework, you should learn astrophysics. Once you've got that down, your introductory physics course will be a breeze.
sounds pretty genius to me