Author Topic: What determines a vehicle's maximum speed?  (Read 4856 times)

I've just noticed that the default land vehicles, the Jeep and the Tank, both have a maximum speed of 200 studs/second (100 TU/s), while the (non-default) plane vehicles of the stunt plane, biplane, private jet all have a maximum speed of 300 studs/second (150 TU/s).

Does anyone know what exactly determines the maximum speed of a vehicle?

The maximum wheel speed determines the maximum speed of the vehicle.

30 TU/s < 100 TU/s.

I mean the maximum speed that a vehicle is allowed to go by the game's engine.

Do you mean actual velocity (as if launched) or powered velocity?

Also, I think that the max wheel speed has to do with rotation speed (maybe 30 rotations per second?), and if that's the case, vehicles with big wheels will go faster than vehicles with small wheels and the same max wheel speed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:47:40 PM by BluetoothBoy »

I mean the maximum speed that a vehicle is allowed to go by the game's engine.

If you drop a Jeep from 10,000 TU, then it will accelerate to a top speed of 100 TU/s, then stop accelerating. If you drop a stunt plane from 10,000 TU and then nosedive so that you don't just glide, it will accelerate to a top speed of 150 TU/s, then stop accelerating.

That seems to have no effect on its actual maximum speed. Though it does properly change the amount of drag, the maximum speed for the vehicle stays fixed.

Have you tested other land/air vehicles as well? It may just be that flying vehicles max at 150 and land at 100.

The only difference between land and air vehicles under TorqueScript is that land vehicles have a stall speed of 0 and no lift / wing surface.

The only difference between land and air vehicles under TorqueScript is that land vehicles have a stall speed of 0 and no lift / wing surface.
Is it possible it's hard-coded into the engine? Or have you already disproved that? I can't honestly say I know of anything else off of the top of my head that would have that great of an effect.

Is it possible it's hard-coded into the engine?

Enex in a Rosso - the car hits 300 studs/second (150 TU/s) - while being a car with no wings.

Well, I'm out of ideas then.

Enex in a Rosso - the car hits 300 studs/second (150 TU/s) - while being a car with no wings.

Never seen a limit. I've had custom vehicles going at 200+ TU/s just fine.