If Blockland got a new scripting language, what would you pick?

Poll

Pick one!

Lua
54 (27.3%)
Python
48 (24.2%)
EMCA
13 (6.6%)
Ruby
6 (3%)
Other
77 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Author Topic: If Blockland got a new scripting language, what would you pick?  (Read 9731 times)

*sigh*
I meant Javascript and you know it.

No. Java and JavaScript are completely different languages and Java never refers to JavaScript.

This was even explained in the OP though. JavaScript is an implementation of EMCA. EMCA is the option for you to click.

No. Java and JavaScript are completely different languages and Java never refers to JavaScript.

This was even explained in the OP though. JavaScript is an implementation of EMCA. EMCA is the option for you to click.
Perfect answer.

Lua Not equals in Lua. See, in other languages it's "!=" but for some reason Lua has to be different.~= normal programming language.

For that reason I don't like it.
you don't like it because uses a different symbol... you could just use simple string manipulation to replace != with ~= and you'd be fine. Same goes for nil and null. In fact, just this would work fine:
local testProg = 'if "hi"!="bye" then print"yay" else print"boo" end'
testProg = string.gsub(testProg,"!=","~=")
local f = loadstring(testProg)
f()
I do feel like Lua is really trying hard to be different at times, but its a good programming language.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:39:50 PM by superdupercoolguy »

you don't like it because uses a different symbol... you could just use simple string manipulation to replace != with ~= and you'd be fine. Same goes for nil and null. In fact, just this would work fine:
local testProg = 'if "hi"!="bye" then print"yay" end'
testProg = string.gsub(testProg,"!=","~=")
local f = loadstring(testProg)
f()
I do feel like Lua is really trying hard to be different at times, but its a good programming language.
Javascript/V8 is still better in every way. It's faster, more similar to the current language, already has a proof-of-concept fully functional implementation, and the parser is completely open source.

I would argue Lua is faster. It is also really easy to read, uses normal words for then and end, easy to learn, and very light.

I would argue Lua is faster. It is also really easy to read, uses normal words for then and end, easy to learn, and very light.
V8 is as fast as raw C++. If Lua is faster than V8, then LUA is faster than C++, and LUA is 100% goddamn for sure not faster than loving c++

uses normal words for then and end
This is a disadvantage for me. then and end instead of { and } simply means more typing, and words that don't stand out as much as single character lines

I don't like using words for things that should be represented by symbols. { and } are much faster to read, interpret, and write than "then", "end", "do", etc. Not to mention that they literally make sense by encapsulating the code, the words "then" and "end" have no relation to encapsulation.

I've worked with Lua. More than once. I've seen what it can do, I've seen how it does things, and I've decided I don't like it. It's not for any one reason (it's not just because ~= is used instead of != or it uses keywords instead of symbols) but as a collective language it's just not for me. I don't think it's really for anyone, to be honest. It's really old and better languages exist for every use case.

Lua is slower than JavaScript which is slower than C++. Benchmarks exist, people. It's not opinion.

edit: better benchmark
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:22:26 PM by $trinick »

V8 is as fast as raw C++. If Lua is faster than V8, then LUA is faster than C++, and LUA is 100% goddamn for sure not faster than loving c++

How can a scripting language be faster than compiled code? Am I missing something here?

How can a scripting language be faster than compiled code? Am I missing something here?

It's not as fast, it's just commonly compared to C++ because it's only about three times slower where as other languages (like Lua) are around 30-50 times slower.

I guess this is moderately relevant, what's the difference between programming and scripting?

I guess this is moderately relevant, what's the difference between programming and scripting?
That'd be the difference between working in the engine and working in TorqueScript. I'd say it's comparable to the difference between scripting and using the events system. One is the more powerful underlying system that lets you do anything (not literally shut up), the other is built on top of the other and is more restrictive in what you can do but easier on the person doing it.

I vote Python just because I want to see people punished for not loving indenting properly.