Author Topic: How can I learn to script these things?  (Read 4183 times)

I have a few things in particular that I'd like to learn:
  • everything about how gamemodes work
  • using scripts instead of VCE, since VCE doesn't work on your dedi server if you aren't there (how to give players a variable like money that they carry around, and that saves when they leave the server)
  • how to make it so only players with enough 'money' variable can build (other than a vehicle spawn brick, which I only want each player to have one of at a time)
  • how to have an item that gives players 'money' when they pick it up

I've read all of the stickied tutorials in this forum but I'm still clueless as how to start

This is the GameMode reference, it'll explain pretty much everything about making a gamemode to you: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=203327.0

As for scripting in general, the best way to start off is reading through other scripts and trying to figure out what they do. Most of scripting is plain english, so it's not really that difficult.

if you havent already download sublime text 2/3
its free (but its kinda like winrar where its like "ok ur trial ran out did u enjoy it give us money pls")
also do what trinick said. it will help you so much more than a tutor. if you have a script and you know what its supposed to do, open it up and try to figure out which parts do what.

thanks for the advice. that gamemode reference topic is extremely useful

I would recommend using TorqueDev as a coding tool / text editor, as it tells you what the errors are and where to find them, and is (obvious) specifically made for TorqueScript (which is Blockland runs on).

Ok I'm looking at scripts for the key item because I'm attempting to make a new item that adds a 'money' variable that the player can use to build. Is anyone willing to answer my question in steam chat so I can ask as I come across issues?

Ok I'm looking at scripts for the key item because I'm attempting to make a new item that adds a 'money' variable that the player can use to build. Is anyone willing to answer my question in steam chat so I can ask as I come across issues?

Sure. http://steamcommunity.com/id/portify