Why the forget do some things take up a lot of space?

Author Topic: Why the forget do some things take up a lot of space?  (Read 713 times)

I understand that iMovie is a well designed video editor, but it's half a damn gigabyte for the phone. What dog crap.

Discuss sizes of files that could have been well optimized.

I really don't know why this is even on the computer...

EDIT: yea, just gonna get rid of it since it isn't needed for anything I do; just guessing it was installed during some repairs
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:50:53 PM by QuadStorm »

I really don't know why this is even on the computer...
then remove them
thats the beauty of windows, you can remove anything you want without being restricted to what the company allows you to remove

then remove them
thats the beauty of windows, you can remove anything you want without being restricted to what the company allows you to remove
internet explorer

The short answer to your title question is "because they can"
Long ago space used to be soooo tight that they had to be really efficient with usage, but now availability of space is growing far faster than usage is, so you barely have to care

want to talk about useless things taking space? microsoft knows how to do it correctly.

every windows install im greeted by stuff like this because some program requires it to run

and it keeps going

and going

this happens mostly due to stuffty programmers not having a clue how to compile their programs. they use microsoft visual studio which forces you to use these atrocities even when they are not actually needed. my advice, dont use the visual compiler.

brb removing internet explorer

then remove them
After making sure they're not needed for something important..

want to talk about useless things taking space? microsoft knows how to do it correctly.

every windows install im greeted by stuff like this because some program requires it to run

and it keeps going

and going

this happens mostly due to stuffty programmers not having a clue how to compile their programs. they use microsoft visual studio which forces you to use these atrocities even when they are not actually needed. my advice, dont use the visual compiler.

I don't understand what is the problem. Evidently over time you have installed a lot of different programs, all of which were written in a different time period on different platforms, with different libraries and the programmers had different resources at hand. There are no duplicates. It looks messy, but it functions so why should you care anyway? Not to mention that their file sizes are tiny in comparison to the average amount of memory a computer system has today. Some of them do not even amount to a megabyte in size.

Perhaps they could've packaged this "stuff" up more generally, so there are less items in the list, but this may be a more flexible solution for the programmers.

Obviously they aren't useless if all your programs depend on atleast one of them.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:03:58 PM by D3ATH LORD »

Obviously they aren't useless if all your programs depend on atleast one of them.
what do you want to bet

The only thing I don't like about the different libraries is they make my program list look really messy. But if you're complaining about the space they take up you must have a really stuffty hard drive.

what do you want to bet

You installed a program that uses them, so unless you deleted the program they are used.

You installed a program that uses them, so unless you deleted the program they are used.
but some of the time they have no actual functions.

if i were to make a simple program that prints hello on a console. writing it with visual studio and compiling it will not run on other computers unless you have that version of visual redistributable installed

but if i compile it with something like mingw, nothing extra is needed. and it should be like that because im not using external libraries. microsoft made a complete mess out of it.