Should Mentally Disabled People be Allowed to Reproduce?

Poll

"

Yes
33 (28.7%)
No
36 (31.3%)
Depends
46 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: Should Mentally Disabled People be Allowed to Reproduce?  (Read 4022 times)

I beleive that the world needs more handicaps.

according to genetics if both parents have the same thing i think it's a 50/50 chance of your child having your disease
unless i read that part of the book wrong

no, no mendelian genetics only applies for very, very few traits and most of the things that you learned about in bio about gregor mendel and punnet squares and your hair color has now been discredited anyway. turns out, shockingly, that human biology is a lot more complex than just hurr durr 50/50.

remember how every trait comes in a pair of sequences called alleles? There are dominant and recessive alleles, and the presence of just one dominant allele overrides the presence of any recessive allele. For example, "A" is the dominant allele and stands for 'argyle'. "a" is the recessive allele and stands for albino. let's see what kind of situations we can generate.

Obviously: AA = argyle patterned, Aa = argyle patterned, and aa = albino.

First, two AA parents. Since the mother has AA and the father has AA there is no chance that there will be anything but AA, so all the babies are argyle-patterned.

Next, two aa parents. Again, since there is nothing but aa, all babies are albino.

Next, AA crossed with Aa. Half of the children will get AA and half will get Aa, but all will still be argyle patterned.

Finally, the only interesting one is two Aa parents: A quarter of the children receive AA, half receive Aa and one quarter receive aa. That's 25% albino and 75% argyle (although the majority of the argyle children will have the albino allele and could pass it on.)

So why did I feel the need to do this? I just wanted to demonstrate to you that even if mendelian genetics applied to mental illnesses, and ALSO assuming as you did that they'd be recessive, they would ONLY crop up 25% of the time in 25% of possible pairings. That's just a 6% chance of any "defect" continuing through each generation.

So no, people who have mental illnesses should of course be allowed to reproduce.

I beleive that the world needs more handicaps.
No it does not. I hate people look at special ed kids and treat them as if they were fluffy pets. Because of people like them my brother was bullied a lot and became a bitter person.

this may not be the world for you
I don't want more handicapped people. They get treated like stuff and usually end up getting abandoned by their parents. We have programs here in a California that take custody of these people and basically heard them around. I'd rather have everyone be born functional as possible than to live a life of being moved from home to home.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:47:40 AM by Harm94 »

i used to be a ta for a special ed class and there was this one girl who would come in and treat all the kids like forgetin hamsters it was bullstuff lol

You can't stop all handicapped people. Many are born that way and most of the time, the genes are recessive iirc anyway.

i used to be a ta for a special ed class and there was this one girl who would come in and treat all the kids like forgetin hamsters it was bullstuff lol
Disgusting.

There was this one special ed kid in my summer camp who kept biting and scratching people when in the pool

and then there was this one cool one who I actually liked

Also not all mentally disabled people have a transferable disease or gene, it might be something that went wrong in utero or in their lifetime

I'm a mixed bag on this, due to the fact that it depends on the illness.

if the problem is bad enough then you won't get laid

let the crazy have crazy love

In almost all cases, it's not okay to decide that for them

In almost all cases, it's not okay to decide that for them
This

this is disgusting

first of all, eugenics is just preemptive genocide. it would be no different than keeping any race from reproducing just because you saw them as lower than you
and second, what OP is suggesting would violate someone's right to bodily autonomy, which is bad enough alone

depends on the illness
like, if you're dyslexic or something idgaf but if its some hardcore debilitating stuff then they shouldn't

Disabled + Disabled =/= Disabled

i can think of many life choices and types of personalities that should be banned from baby making.

who gives a forget about genetics. thats not even the reason for forgeted up kids