I'm the only one that uses the abbr tags.

Author Topic: I'm the only one that uses the abbr tags.  (Read 1453 times)

That was kinda the joke.
how is that a joke?
On the topic of use of BB code, does anyone else literally never use the buttons at the top of the page? I just type out my stuff. I hate using my mouse, it's a hundred times faster to type [url=whatever.com]stuff[/url] or [tt]teletype stuff[/tt] than moving my hand off my keyboard, navigating my mouse to the proper button (after searching for it, I don't have their locations memorized), and clicking on it.
I use the buttons for tables. selecting a cell and clicking a button is a lot easier than navigating the text and typing the tags for me

On the topic of use of BB code, does anyone else literally never use the buttons at the top of the page?
 I just type out my stuff. I hate using my mouse, it's a hundred times faster to type [url=http://whatever.com]stuff[/url]
 or [tt]teletype stuff[/tt] than moving my hand off my keyboard, navigating my mouse to the proper button
 (after searching for it, I don't have their locations memorized), and clicking on it.

You can quote someone and use the table structures to have your answer
right next to the other persons original message.

but it's quite a hassle and i wouldnt recommend it

It is quite the hassle. Though, the best part about it is that if you put a quote inside a table, it'll actually size snugly to the content within:

yet another forum feature to use and then forget about

yet another forum feature to use and then forget about

Secret Text
jokes on you i have a userscript that turns invisible text into 4chan styled spoilers

On the topic of use of BB code, does anyone else literally never use the buttons at the top of the page? I just type out my stuff. I hate using my mouse, it's a hundred times faster to type [url=whatever.com]stuff[/url] or [tt]teletype stuff[/tt] than moving my hand off my keyboard, navigating my mouse to the proper button (after searching for it, I don't have their locations memorized), and clicking on it.

Yep, this. I don't even pay attention to what tags are up there. I just use tags like [nobbc], [abbr], [table], [sub]/[sup] and others out of memory.

I don't use it because only Firefox underlines it, even informing the end user that an abbreviation has been used. If something is supported so poorly across browsers, as a web developer I feel obligated to avoid it.

If it was properly supported across browsers I would use it all the  :nes: ing time.

it's mozilla that thought they should underline it. They're the ones filling in gaps we never asked for, which is a pretty bad for a web browser to do.

it's mozilla that thought they should underline it. They're the ones filling in gaps we never asked for, which is a pretty bad for a web browser to do.

I think that in this case it's easily excusable. It's simply the best possible way to identify text like that.

I think that in this case it's easily excusable. It's simply the best possible way to identify text like that.

Well, it is. It can be avoided with "text-decoration: none". Maybe firefox didn't automatically underline abbr when this theme was made? It is a very old theme.

Another annoying thing is that webkit browsers automatically add a colored border around focused inputs, which you have to put "outline: none;" to get rid of.
I feel as though browsers shouldn't assume you want this automatically outlined or underlined like this. It's a problem that developers shouldn't have to take into account.
Same with having to use a titty-ton of different tags for a simple gradient that all accomplish the same thing on different browsers.
Code: [Select]
-webkit-linear-gradient(red, blue);
-o-linear-gradient(red, blue);
-moz-linear-gradient(red, blue);
linear-gradient(red, blue);
^ that is friggin stupid. the last one should do the same to all browsers, but noooooooo.