DrenDran's WIP Economy Server --- How long do I make a year?

Poll

How long should a year take? (Crops take maybe 2/3 of a year to grow on average, take into consideration changes in gameplay style here)

Six hours? (Maintenance for best output maybe once an hour)
23 (51.1%)
Twelve hours? (Reccomended maintenance every few hours for best output)
2 (4.4%)
A day (Optimal maintenance is maybe two/three times a day)
6 (13.3%)
Longer (Maintenance maybe once/twice a day)
14 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: DrenDran's WIP Economy Server --- How long do I make a year?  (Read 13099 times)

The word comes from the Greek: οὐ ("not") and τόπος ("place") and means "no-place".
Eu- means good.
-Topia means place.

It's a pun on the fact that no place is perfect. So it's "good place" and "no place".

Oh jesus, since a new beta server is coming out I'm gonna have to almost completely re-write the guide ;-;

Quote from: Last poll results
Question:    Make crops more long term allowing for an economy system like that of RoB?
Yes.       -23 (65.7%)
No.  (Doesn't matter cause I'm making a second test server for this anyway lol)       -12 (34.3%)
Lock Voting
Edit Poll
Total Voters: 35

So yeah, to increase the time of the lifespan of the server, as well as reduce crop supply to create demand for a realistic economy simulation, crop times are being made a lot longer. A few things to keep in mind:
  • Crops probably won't need to be watered constantly any more. Watering may be limited to new crops, certain types of crops, or very dry years.
  • "Maintenance" may refer to many things. It might mean watering in the beginning, spraying pesticide as the crops get mature, and weeding in every stage. Basically it's how often should you come on the server if you've got crops growing.
  • People will probably have much larger, more realistic farms in this version, with better equipment to boot.
  • Longer years mean actual days might be a thing, as well as noticeable changes between seasons. A day night cycle with different skyboxes for different weather and seasons will be added.

why not make it so you can do something with the crops? eg. use potatoes to make vodka and sell that

why not make it so you can do something with the crops? eg. use potatoes to make vodka and sell that
Cannabis will be able to be turned into smokable material, or seeds for replanting.
Food will need to be eaten to live.
Wood will serve as an option for building material along with metals (which can also be used for other things like items and vehicles)
If other crops are added they might serve other purposes.

edit: Love how people always pick the shortest option.
The longer options are better imo because they give you more flexibility.
If you only had to come on the server once or twice a day to grow crops, you don't have to schedule it so much around you real life like you would if crops took only 6 hours and required you be on like once an hour or two.

Make a year 6 hours long, I don't want this to be a server where you "join once a day to check on your crops". This has to attract players and keep them online. If you have it any longer people won't even bother I don't think, coming on more than once or twice a day to do "maintenance" on your crops is not what made this fun. I think 6 hours would be perfect for this gamemode.

Make a year 6 hours long, I don't want this to be a server where you "join once a day to check on your crops". This has to attract players and keep them online. If you have it any longer people won't even bother I don't think, coming on more than once or twice a day to do "maintenance" on your crops is not what made this fun. I think 6 hours would be perfect for this gamemode.
The problem with 6 hours is it basically means someone has to take like a huge part of their day where they can't really do anything long irl.
When I say "join to check on your crops" other things like building, maintaining your shop, buying stuff, and socializing are included there too, btw.

I voted to make the year longer than a day/have the player check in once a day. This is because not everyone will be able to check on their things more than once a day, and if they can, you should make something else that will give the players something to do while their crops are growing. That way, it will benefit most if not all the players.

look at all those browns

mmm delious
can't wait to get on this

maybe im just a dramatic dumb starfish, but this long term stuff really doesn't jive with me. It feels like the farming component is being turned into one of those mobile-style strategy games. Now, maybe some people really like pocket planes or whatever, but I just can't get into those kinda games. The (relatively) long breaks in between play combined with the fact that I don't always have time to make the next move right away, means I usually get tired of checking in for what seems like little reward just a few days after downloading. I'm afraid the same thing is gonna happen here, not just for me, but for lots of players, especially now that school's back in session.
It'd be a real shame if this gamemode ends up in the dustbin, as it has a hell of a lot of potential and personally, I think it's the best gamemode since speedkart.

this is probably stufftily written and shoddily justified but idc, im going on vacation and i wanted to throw in my 2 cents before i forgot. regardless of whether or not ya change anything, i hope yer economy thingamajig is successful :)

Really I saw it becoming less of a "mobile-style strategy game" and more like a sandbox MMO. Look at say, wurm online, or even multiplayer Minecraft survival. That's what I'm hoping is going to happen.

A year should be thirty minutes long in my opinion.