Elite: Dangerous - Explore 400 BILLION Star Systems

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous - Explore 400 BILLION Star Systems  (Read 4708 times)

Info
Elite: Dangerous is the fourth game in the Elite game series. You can explore 400 BILLION STAR SYSTEMS in an online, persistent, multiplayer Milky Way galaxy. Your actions can actually affect planets, incomes, etc. Trade between minerals and good between planets to earn credits, or become a criminal and take down Haulers, stealing their cargo to sell on the black market. Everything is up to the player. It is currently in beta and costs $75 at the moment. Once the game is fully released, the game will be $50. Expansions have been announced that will allow players to fly capital ships, land on planets, and explore planets on a 1:1 scale. There is PVP and PVE dogfighting and upcoming land based fighting.

Links
http://www.elitedangerous.com/
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ

Media

Elite's Sound Design which imo is absolutely worth $75
Elite's Premium Beta Overview

What are the general differences between "Elite: Dangerous" and "Star Citizen"?

The differences are predominantly in issues surrounding scale, complexity of background simulations, adherence to recognised science of the universe and release schedule.

Heritage:
Elite: Dangerous is the 4th installment in the Elite series dating back to 1984.
Star Citizen has a heritage in the Wing Commander / Privateer / Freelancer series dating back to 1990.

Release Schedule:
Elite: Dangerous is projected for a general release in Q4 2014.
Star Citizen is projected for a general release in late 2016.

Story:
Both Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen will have an on-going background story which will be influenced by the players and augmented with developer injected events.
Star Citizen comes with a single-player focused cinematic scripted campaign and is projected for general episodic releases starting from mid 2015, which will later be updated with paid DLC expansions.

Ship Design:
In Elite: Dangerous, the ships are relatively larger for their class, with capital ships in the 2 km range and atmospheric capable ones are engineered to be aerodynamically streamlined and symmetrical, and therefore carry their weapons within a bay. This provides ships with hulls that are able to enter and freeform (manual pitch/yaw/roll) fly through 1:1 scale planet atmospheres at hypersonic speeds.
In Star Citizen the ships are less aerodynamically streamlined and carry their weapons outboard, some are asymmetrical.
Landing on planets in Star Citizen will use scripted in-game cinematics and will be limited to several star ports.

Methods of Travel:
Elite: Dangerous has freeform (manual pitch/yaw/roll) interplanetary fast travel with combat maneuvering. Due to the realistic 1:1 scale galaxy with proper distances, it necessitates faster than light speeds, up to 2000 times the speed of light (2000C), to make travel times practical with very long range sensors and combat interaction and you will be able to seamlessly enter hyperspace to travel from anywhere to another star.
Star Citizen's interplanetary fast travel will allow a speed of up to 20% the speed of light (0.2C), which necessitates scaled down star systems to compress spatial distances to make travel times practical. It also won't be freeform (Autopilot Only) nor have combat maneuvering in this mode, so you will not have the ability to specify an exact random location in space. You can navigate to known locations or tag a ship they want to track or ambush. Also you must fly through wormhole-like jump points (which will allow some interactivity) at fixed locations to other star system.

Galaxy:
In Elite: Dangerous the galaxy will be scientifically accurate and include around a 100 billion star systems (around 400 billion stars considering most systems contain multiple stars). The Elite Universe is modelled on current galactic charts. Planets and moons will rotate and orbit in 1:1 scale real-time, therefore constantly changing a system's environment.
Star Citizen's galaxy will have 120 star systems at launch, with time compressed to 2 hours for each day (1:12 scale time) and a more casual take on spatial size and distance of celestial bodies, meaning planets won't be properly scaled and they might also not orbit. To give an example, Elite: Dangerous will have stars alone that can engulf whole star systems of Star Citizen multiple times. Also see this video to give a sense of scale.
Given what we know about our solar system, the orbits of exoplanets and the fact that the maximum speed in Star Citizen will be 0.2C, with a targeted travel time of around 30 minutes to cross a star system, it is calculated that the size of Star Citizen star systems will be compressed to around 1:100 up to 1:2500 scale.

Weapons:
Elite: Dangerous has lightspeed pulse and beam lasers on all ships fitted with energy weapons, as opposed to Star Citizen which has slow moving beam weapons only on capital ships. The remainder of the Star Citizen fleet will have slow moving laser bolts like one would see in Star Wars.
Planetary Exploration:
Elite: Dangerous will have freeform (go wherever you want) planetary exploration on full 1:1 scale planets.
In Star Citizen, planetside movement will be restricted to specialized locations, such as star ports, bars and FPS arenas, while the rest of the planet is off limits.

Artifical Gravity:
In Elite: Dangerous there is no artificial gravity, so space stations are designed to rotate as opposed to Star Citizen.

Flight and Combat Models:
There are major differences in how each game handles close combat flight (as you can see from this video). There is an inherent flaw with the premise of close combat space flight leading to endless turreting and circle-strafing especially in PVP multiplayer due to the lack of terrain features in mid space, compound that with the fact that Elite also features lightspeed pulse and beam lasers making this issue even more apparent.
Elite: Dangerous deals with this by limiting the yaw rate and enforce an optimum corner speed by by way of thruster placement and limits in the flight control computer, forcing to roll and then pitch to get the most efficient turn rate (less efficient, but most comfortable for a human pilot), in addition there is a G-LOC system, a preliminary version can be seen here.
In Star Citizen ships can be pointed more intuitively in a fashion akin to FPS, requiring a strong yaw (most efficient, but discomforting for a human pilot). It deals with turreting by having a G-LOC system as seen here, but this alone doesn't alleviate the problems completely, but it is less critical due to the lack of lightspeed lasers on the smaller ships.
Multiplayer:
Multiplayer is handled with a grouping system in Elite: Dangerous and a PVP-PVE slider which doesn't completely control engagements in Star Citizen.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:57:48 AM by Niven »

i bet my computer cant run it.

Also it's absolutely amazing how much detail is in this game. From how distances are on a logarithmic scale instead of linear, or how stars are modeled differently depending on what age the star is. Heres an example of the scope of detail in this game
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:01:05 AM by Niven »

[i mg]http://puu.sh/aGRa5/deffc19257.jpg[/img]
for me:
(✓) Direct X 11
(X) Quad Core CPU (AMD ATHLON II X2)
(✓) 2GB RAM
(✓) DX10 Hardware...
(X) ...with 1gb video ram (Nvidia integrated with 256mb vram)
(✓) Internet connection

Although I will admit I'm a Star Citizen fan, this looks pretty cool.

Actually, IDC about what I'm a fan of. No Man's Sky, Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, I just want to explore the stars the way I please.

This game seems really interesting, and I would totally get it if it wasn't so god damn expensive.

This game seems really interesting and beautiful, and I would totally get it if it wasn't so god damn expensive.

The less arcadey-version of NMS.

We're finally getting the space exploration games we've always wanted.

Hopefully. :)

holy crap this game is too expensive

holy crap this game is too expensive

It is to keep the casual kiddies away from the beta testing.

it's gonna be out of beta in a few months, then it's $50. it's so worth it for the beta just cause of the amazing sound design.

i'll have to wait for it to be free or something because im poor

even if every star system magically took up 1 byte that would require 400GB of storage so I doubt that